Hypothetically...ND555 or NAC552?

Why don’t you go and listen to both options at a Naim retailer?

I’m no fan of the 252, so if I were in your position I’d go for a NAC552 first. If you’re looking secondhand, I cannot say for sure whether you need to look for DR, but I have heard the non-DR setup which @Filipe uses and it sounded jolly fine to me.

1 Like

And it has come along way since with extra Powerlines and the MusicWorks G3 with sparkly bottom.

Phil

1 Like

My dealer’s audio suite is upstairs with no lift unfortunately. He’ll drop off demo units for a trial if I want though, he’s great that way. But I’d only do this if I intended buying from him.

Just sounding out the experience of those who have been here before me meantime.

G

Truth is Graeme, you have a beautifully balanced system now. Indeed, I have used the same amplification as you with a NDS/PS555DR. I would only go for a 552 (DR or non DR) or ND555 from where you are if you will eventually get both, in time.

IMV, you will only get the best out of the 552 with a ND555, and vice versa. Even with both, I do not see the Tabs or the 250DR as significant bottlenecks, although spending more on either, especially going to a 300DR or 500DR, will of course move you even further forward. But not as much as paring the ND555 with the 552.

2 Likes

Both probably on the cards if I take a first step Nigel. The conclusion here, such as it is, seems to be that either would be acceptable.

Thanks

G

Absolutely, as long as there is a plan to take that second step, to get the best from both the 552 and ND555.

When I added the 552 to my NDS/555DR (not dissimilar to your NDX2/555DR) it was a whole new system. As pre-loved 552s are rare, I’d grab it if you see one.

All IMHO of course.

1 Like

The one I’ve seen isn’t on eBay Graham. Doesn’t say whether it’s a DR or not but worth getting touch to ask the question.

Cheers, Rack.

1 Like

If you only have one source then instead of the nd555/555ps or 552dr delamere, you might want to try a different streamer/dac that has a built in pre? As you may find you dont need the 552 pre amp at all.
Plus not having to find the money for the above items, means you could either up the budget on the streamer/dac or save the rest for music or holidays

2 Likes

Oops!..Incoming.

G

Yes, go on…

Source first!

G

Is this now sorted? Hypothetically that is!

ND555 purchased so thanks for all the advice.

G

9 Likes

Nice….

2 Likes

Enjoy

1 Like

GraemeH,

You have broken the sound barrier, moving so fast from Hypothesis to implementation. Enjoy the new machine.

1 Like

Thanks Haim. We’d just spent the weekend nursing my father-in-law in what are surely his last days and I thought ‘sod-it’, life is indeed short.

One came up from a reputable dealer and so it had my name on it.

G

7 Likes

Hope the remaining days of your father-in-law are peaceful. Being surrounded by family members surely helps big time.

5 Likes

@GraemeH always a difficult time, enjoy your music when you get the time.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Thanks @LindsayM it is indeed.

G

1 Like