Hypothetically...ND555 or NAC552?

How long will the OPs question remain hypothetical :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the 300DR would be an improvement but the 250DR can drive the Sigs well - so a power amp change probably isnā€™t the priority.

Just my haā€™pennyworth but source first and all thatā€¦ND555.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I get your meaning there Nigelā€¦

Nothing lacking per se Haimā€¦until one hears the next level.

G

Itā€™s not just about drive though with the amps as you go up the range. Thereā€™s more to it than that - more scale, transparency, speed, control amongst other things.

1 Like

Well, for example Kudos bring out a stonking new range of speakers, Naim bring out a stupendous streamer, and suddenly the goal posts moveā€¦

And that will not be the end of it, Iā€™m sure.

1 Like

As a fellow Monkfish approach devotee - my recently acquired Tablette 10 Signatures are a tiny % of my overall system cost - I would advocate for the 552. As others have said, it has a way of lifting all your sources up thatā€™s very gratifying. That said, assuming youā€™re looking for pre-loved and an ND555 comes up at the right price, get that first.

Iā€™ve found that getting truly satisfactory speakers is the hardest part of this game. If youā€™re truly happy with your Tablettes, and if they match your room and have no deficits that bother you, I would resist the siren song of ā€œif you like these speakers, just imagine how much youā€™ll like [insert other speaker model].ā€ Your system clearly works for you, and putting in a 552, or improving a source will not unbalance it, or kick off another upgraditis cycle.

3 Likes

Yes, and I have a feeling Kudos havenā€™t finished yet!

@GraemeH There is a 552 available used for Ā£10k if you search for ā€˜Central Audioā€™ who are based in the Uk. Sorry thatā€™s the best I can do without posting a link!

Heā€™s a great guy to deal with - bought my Rega Isis from him in new condition so if he says itā€™s mint, then it most likely is.

@RackKit Thanks. I noticed those on the bay. 15 years old non-DR for Ā£9k and a more recent DR for Ā£15k.

G

Thanks. That captures my position perfectly.

G

1 Like

Hi @GraemeH ,

Not sure the non-DR would be the best long term option.

If you look closely at what a Discrete Regulator is, and what it brings in terms of sound qualityā€¦ itā€™s a lot.

If funds allow, it is sometimes best to wait and spend a bit more on a mint, recent and DR version of the 552, especially if youā€™re not planning any later upgrades (NAC S1).

Agree!

G

I went for a 2008 non-DR 552, mainly because it was available, it was (is) mint, I tried it in my system at home and it wasnā€™t due a service when I bought it. I plan to DR it when it needs a service (no sign of that yet) and 552s are not silly money to DR.

Now if I ever go for a 500 I would hold out for a DR (or DRā€™d) model as the 500 DR is a very different beast to a non DR 500. Furthermore, DRing a 500 costs more than DRing a 552, IIRC.

I do agree however, if you can wait and have the additional funds for a 552DR, do that. Do however remember, 552s from reputable sources are rare, DR or non DR.

As long as the number is not bigger that 808, Iā€™m interested.

1 Like

Well last I heard Kudos were working with a certain TT manufacturer on some ideas, I think it COULD lead to something at Statement level!

I think it cost me Ā£5.2k to DR my 500 but I paid Ā£6k for the 500 at 15 years old and unserviced from a non Niam dealer (Emporium hifi). Probable gone up since then so factor in around Ā£6k to DR an old one if going that route.
The 552 led to the 500 fairly quickly, the ND555 wasnā€™t out yet.

Well, Kudos does start with the letter K.

Just sayinā€™ā€¦

1 Like

I do think that is high especially if it hasnā€™t been serviced.

Phil

Agree Filipe.

G