I did a thing ... 500DR to come

Please no!!!

I must admit I’ve looked at the pictures but I struggle to understand how and in what way it can be better than the Sigma? It’s also a lot of money! I think it would be fun to try the Omega and Chord Music to see which is better.

1 Like

If you would like to borrow it for a few weeks in August, let me know

That’s very kind of you but I’m at the limit of what I want to spend on Ethernet cable with the Sigma. To be honest I’d never contemplated spending this much.

I’d be interested in your thoughts on Omega? You’ll have probably seen that there’s been some comments on £250 Neotech being able to outperform the Omega.

What was it that got you into the Shunyata’s in the first place?

I got it, and the Omega USB, last year after all my readings on AudiophileStyle; they were (are?) de facto considered the best (system dependent of course) around.
Got them used and in the States, so… yes, expensive, but not crazy crazy expensive :slight_smile:
Can’t comment on the NeoTech cable, but had a few good cables before that (Sablon, NA Muon, Pangea Audio Premier SE, …) which all had their positives, but wanted an end-game cable.
What struck me most was the naturalness of the sound. It had all the usual and well appreciated characteristics, but music just flowed so easily, naturally (if that makes sense), while maintaining all the vigor, detail and dynamics that I appreciate.

1 Like

Your description makes perfect sense as it’s exactly what I’m finding with the Sigma. There is no emphasis on any area of the music. Everything I’ve used to date seems to push something at you, be it vocals, bass, midrange, or something else. The Sigma just seems to be the perfect neutral but, at the same time, it seems to be able to pull off some incredible feats when rendering music and only seems to emphasise what the musicians want you to hear in what they are playing. The tonality is the other area that blows me away. I’ve never heard piano notes more beautifully portrayed. The accuracy of pitch, the tone and the decay is just stunning. You can also hear the quality from a distance, even in another room you still get the full effect and you know you are listening to something special. If the Omega is better then you are very lucky!

2 Likes

Maybe add 2 ferrite rings to the neotech cable and see if it makes a difference.
As i wouldn’t be surprised if under them fancy plastic boots are ferrite rings on the sigma, just called something fancy to bang the price up.

1 Like

How about the Synergetic Research ? I am curious if you could have listened to, because they seem high rated too .

It is not important (to me), what causes the effect. The cable is so nice sounding and that is (to me) in a similar price range than diamond.
So what - let it be some cheap trick - but it does the trick :grin:

1 Like

Same here … totally blown away. That’s why I am tempted to try omega. I have it on demo and if (and I will) decide to buy it, it will have it full retail price.
Omega is (only) on step further.

Jusr saying thats all.

1 Like

Sorry for the delayed reply…I have been exploring the wilds of Scotland on the NC500.

Very pleased that yourself and @drago appear to have experienced similar results to mine with the SR Sigma in place. Once again your description of the effect this cable has is spot on. The lack of ‘noise’ is amazing and gives the sound a warm airy texture that is very detailed and clean. I found that the AQ Diamond adds a little more ‘attack’ and excitement. The combination of the two cables connected from Server to Streamer via the EE8 is magical and it is as close to a live performance my system has achieved.

Qobuz streaming via the ISPRouter---->CISCO 2960---->EE8 was OK but I was not completely happy with the sound, when comparing the same track sourced directly from the Naim Core Server. I changed out the ISPR to 2960 Blue Jeans interconnect for a Neotech NEET 1008. I would say there was a slight uplift in clarity, which slowly improved over the extensive run in period. However, I was still not completely happy with the quality of the Streaming Source compared to the Server. I was then fortunate enough to snag a 0.75m AQ Diamond on emither for 1/4 of RRP.

Replacing the Neotech NEET with the AQ Diamond had a definite effect, very similar to what I had experienced with the AQ Diamond/SR Sigma combination on the Server. The music had more ‘attack’ PRaT if you like. It became less ‘HiFi’ and more ‘Live Performance’ Result! The AQ Diamond stays in the Qobuz steaming signal path.
So in conclusion I would say the Neotech NEET 1008 is an improvement on quality tested streaming cables from the likes of BJ and based on the price point proved to be excellent value for money. However, if the additional expenditure can be justified the AQ Diamond and SR Sigma have the potential to take the performance of your streaming to the next level.

I am now going to change out the 6m of BJ ethernet cable between the 2960 and EE8 with Supra 8. I have been told the use of Telegartner RJ45 connectors makes a worthwhile contribution to the overall performance for the relative small expenditure of £35. We will see if it is indeed possible to squeeze a little bit more performance from the Qobuz Streaming signal path.

As an aside:

Chord Signature Aray streaming cable did nothing for me. In fact I would say it made the Qobuz streaming path rather dull and lifeless. I use Chord cables in other areas of my system, with great success, so this is not a generalised comment on their products.
I have had great success with Titan Audio power cables. Both the Eros Signature and Nemesis added a level of clarity beyond what I had previously experienced. The Nemesis is a solid silver conductor cable and you have to be very selective where you place it in the system. Get it right and the results are awesome.
I recently had a demo at the ATC factory listening room. The electronics were not Naim and it drove home why I love their equipment…excitment, excitment, excitment. No other brand I have heard appears to have mastered to art of making the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

3 Likes

It does make me wonder how much we like something like a cable depends on price and looks.
If something is over 8 times the price, the more expensive one must obviously be better, right? Plus it looks and feels nicer, so again must be better right?

I am away for the month so can’t even begin to test how the neotech gets on against the audioquest. But reading lots on it all from many different people and thoughts. The one big thing that comes shining through is how good the rest off your network is against noise goes along way to how these cables work in these systems.
The sigma looks to be very good at lowering the noise, them 2 rings doing that ( ferrite or whatever) but if you don’t have much noise then results seem to be very different.
But as said before i like to try for myself s everyone is different, but i will probably add a couple off ferrite rings to my ethernet cables just to see if things change over i have tested the new neotech cable.
As why not, they only cost a few quid each and could make a very cheap and already very good cable (apparently) even better, what’s not to like about that? Plus if it works well i can sell my diamond cable, buy another neotech and still have over £500 more in my pocket.

I also wounder if the neotech was say £1500 or £2000, rather than the £250 it would suddenly get more interest as it’s got to be better at this price right?

2 Likes

All folk can report is the results they achieve in their system. In mine, Diamond and Sigma are an improvement on the Neotech 1008. Price and looks have nothing to do with it. I ran BJ/DesignaCable Ethernet for several years, as they were better than AQ Vodka IMO.

I have returned VERY expensive Chord Music cables because they did not work in my system. Alternately I could have framed them and hung em on the wall😉 Come on @Dunc it’s all about the sound not looks or cost.

2 Likes

Just saying, don’t always go on price.

2 Likes

ah got you @Dunc What I was trying to say is that the Neotech-1008 is an excellent ethernet cable at it’s price point. In listening tests in my system, it outperformed both the AQ Vodka and Chord Signature TA.
However, if you can justify the significant additional expenditure, the AQ Diamond and SR Sigma both have the potential to open up an enhanced level of performance.

1 Like

I don’t think any answer is really correct to say and only trying can sort out what works for you.

But i do believe that it’s the last cable that makes certainly the biggest difference, into the dac.
This is where i will try the neotech against the diamond i have.

But for me, anything to be better must beat or at least be no worse in all the area’s. If it is only better in some and then worse in others, then for me it classed as different, and not better.

Also in a full naim system the sigma with it’s calming sound probably work’s better to hold back the more forward nature in sound it has.
But as always it’s about balance, too much off everything can cause problems.

But the main thing it works for you, and that’s all that really matters for you.
I am going to explore and see what happens, but with my dCS Vivaldi and the audioquest diamond cable it certainly sounds fabulous already, but if i can inpove it, great, but i would really like to inpove the sound from my stored melco that runs through the PhoenixNet, as i feel i am losing something here, maybe i am not. But in the past before i got my Vivaldi stack, the stored music on the melco was certainly slightly better than streaming from Qobuz. I Don’t feel it is any more, and thats the reason i am trying this cable over the one that comes with the PhoenixNet that i use at the moment.

Cheers dunc

1 Like

Very interesting to hear of your experiences with the Neotech Neet-1008. Tank you for sharing. I’m getting to know the cable, and hearing others views is really helpful.

I thought the Blue jeans cable was a catsnake? In my system the sound is almost not recognizable when I put the catsnake back in instead of the Neet. It’s not all good. It seems to be very revealing making it difficult to listen to some times. But all in all I can hear that the Neotech is a much better cable than the catsnake. It will be interesting to hear how it will work out when I get my Puritan 156 to clean up the power.

2 Likes

And when you get EE8 + Farad3 to filter out the buzz on your ethernet line :+1: :wink:

2 Likes

Or even a better switch from Denmark :joy:

1 Like

Yes that too :sweat_smile: