IFI DC Blocker Fitted

Many thanks - I’ve bought a few bits and pieces from them and always been really impressed. 30 day money back is the deal!

1 Like

I think the exception on the 30 day, is it is made to order. Just check with them before purchasing. They are very helpful and straight talking Yorkshire people i.e. no bull. :+1:

2 Likes

Were the two boxes close together, on the same rack? It’s possible that the mechanical vibrations from the 250 were transferred to the Hicap through the shelves and that set it off.
When I had a 250 the rack was right next to the sofa, and if it started to hum I could silence it by just resting a finger on top of the case for a few seconds.

3 Likes

I had the exact same experience. The isol8 axis gave a noticeable lift in SQ, particularly refinement. What sorted him was better power cables (Chord Shawline). The isol8 is great value though. I found the IFI killed the dynamics a bit.

3 Likes

Really interesting- tbh I didn’t even have a proper listen to the ifi as it did nothing for the hum. I have read elsewhere people make similar observations about it though.
The other advantage of the isol 8 is that it is one cable to the wall plug so disconnecting all 5 components is very quick and easy- eg if we are away etc.

3 Likes

Just last night I saw a very positive review of the Inakustik AC-4500 Reference Power Station on YouTube. It filters DC and looks the business. Only six sockets though. I use an Audioquest Niagara 1200 thats decent but doesn’t do anything for transformer hum.

2 Likes

I am trying the IsoTek EVO3 Synchro Uni 10A DC blocker on my 500 system. It reduces the hum to a quite acceptable level (but not completely) with positive effect on SQ (better bass). It should stay

3 Likes

there is an interesting DC blocker coming from Bulgaria at a good price, some people I know found it works well and for sure is not expensive.

3 Likes

yes it was on the same rack, but different shelters! you mean that despite 4 cm anti vibration shelters and all the dedicated feet the vibration was moving from one component with the other

1 Like

I’ve used the ATL unit for a couple of years now. Works very well.

3 Likes

I have used grossly oversized Topaz Ultra Isolator transformers to successfully kill any Naim transformer buzz for a few years now, without any hit to dynamics (if anything, punch seems improved).

5.2kVa .001pf for my Supernait 3 + HCDR. Absolutely silent even with my ear to the Naim case. But the big transformer does hum (only audible within about 2ft) variably. Plugging the Naims back into the wall and the humming transformer Symphony resumes! Lol.

Smaller DC blockers don’t have the capacity to block all DC on the line. But they are great devices. For a 1:1 iso transformer, no amount of DC can jump the primary and secondary windings. The DC can only serve to cause early saturation of the core… hence getting a grossly oversized unit.

2 Likes

My supernait 2 with with separate PSU had a hum when I purchased both new , I have a dedicated spur just for my hifi gear so read up on the problem and found it to be DC. So seeing as all my gear runs from this spur I bought an audiolab DC block 6 which has basically eradicated the hum apart from a very small hum which to be honest is hardly audible unless your ear is welded to the amp.great peace of kit and slots into your rack nicely , you can switch the red volt meter off if needs be but to be honest doesn’t bother me . Fully recommend

1 Like

Did the same and worked a treat for me. It cured a humming 555. Well nearly - about 90%.

1 Like

Also no loss in SQ either , well non I can hear anyway which makes this unit so good and to be honest great for the money

Running it now with a higher amps now and still no reduced sound quality. Also I love, for some strange reason, seeing what the voltage coming in is, shocked at how much it changes from day to day!

Yeah it’s interesting how much the voltage varies at different points of the day also , anything from 231 to 239depending on what time it is .

1 Like

My solar/pv inverter monitors and records voltage during the day and night. Goes high in the night with little demand. Lower end when demand is high first thing in the morning and early evening. Frequency is more tightly controlled via the generators.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.