Ignore Function

I imagine a thread might look a bit odd if someone who was active on it had been blocked. I would just scroll past a post if I didn’t want to read it. There are one or two regular posters here whose posts I find rather too verbose and dull, so I rarely read them, but it’s easy enough to just scroll past them.
I have on one occasion muted a whole thread that I found particularly tedious, but I don’t generally bother.

On the old forum, you could block some members.

:small_blue_diamond:It would be interesting to hear how Naim thinks,.when they put in a function like this.
Maybe @Richard.Dane can convey how Naim thinks on this issue

I asked the question at my forum in Sweden,.if they would like to have a function like this.
They were shocked and said,.absolutely not.
:black_small_square:Some other comments were…

• We are brought up,.to treat all people equally.

• With such a function,.people are encouraged to make a difference on each other.

• Such a function,.increases the risk of bullying against an individual member.

• We are too wise,.to want such a function.

• If you can’t meet all kinds of people,.you might not should participate in a forum.

• A number of members can “join forces”,.and ‘Ignore’ another forum member.
Then you’re definitely over the line of bullying.

• Isn’t Naim wiser than this,.I’m very surprised.

This above,.were some of several comments that came on my Swedish forum,when I asked the question,.if they want this function.
And I’m glad they think so.
As well,.I share their views,I would never introduce such a function.

This increases the risk of bullying,.exclusion, group impact against member,.make a difference between people,etc,etc.
So we think in Sweden about this,.so it will be interesting to hear Naim’s motivation,to have this function.

:small_orange_diamond:Personal comment: It’s not part of my “world-picture”,.that ‘Ignore’ another human being.

If I have to,then I’d rather take the confrontation and the discussion.
But that ‘Ignore’ another human being…NEVER.
• My parents have raised me better than that.

/Peder

4 Likes

Do you give any preference to the opinions of the interesting and informed?

I do - when I come across them.

2 Likes

At the end of the day, It’s a public forum, provided by Naim, about Hi-Fi. If people want to use a particular feature of that forum software to allow them to ‘ignore’ posters to make their own experience of the forum more pleasant then that’s up to them. Most people get on quite happily on here, some don’t and probably find the ignore function useful (as this thread seems to indicate). Each to their own etc.

Mute is a feature of the Discourse platform. It’s up to you if you use it or not. I’m not sure if Naim take a particular view on its existence or whether you use it or not.

Personally, I’d wish that nobody felt it necessary to use such a feature. But it’s up to you if you do or not.

1 Like

Sorry Chris, I must try harder…

1 Like

I f you don’t have access to it, it might be that you need to reach a certain forum “trust” level.

I can see it is there, but have never thought of doing so.

Dear Peder,
I think you are indulging in a modicum of hyperbole here.
The “ignore” function is anonymous so cannot be bullying.
The “ignored” are ignorant of the part they play in my universe.
No of us can “gang up” on members and ignore them.

There are just some members here whose posts I’d prefer not to see and I do find it a very useful function on all the fora I’m on and it was available on the previous Naim forum software so I cannot fathom your ire about this now.

It allows me reduce the dose of my blood pressure medication and that cannot be bad surely?

.sjb

4 Likes

Indeed you must, as it wasn’t you I was referring to!

So you prefer to show indefinitely your irritation and nerves towards some members and particularly one, if you see what I mean.
This function would preserve you more I feel.
Same for me towards some here, fortunately not a lot, maybe 3.

2 Likes

FWIW: I never block or mute someone just because I don’t like them or their posts. I respect everyone’s opinion whether I share it or not. I will, however, block/ignore anyone who responds to me with personal attack, ad hominem or otherwise. When that happens I almost always make it permanent. I have done that on Facebook and on other forums, but not ever on the Naim forums (although I’m glad to have the option if I ever need it). Members here are mostly pretty civil, even when they fall into vehement disagreement over something. I think that says something good about these forums.

2 Likes

Another useful function is the mute thread one that is accessed at the bottom of the thread. The thread will then not show up in “latest” if muted.

.sjb

1 Like

…mute can be your friend and works well, like a short vacation it can be refreshing.

2 Likes

I agree, but will you ever know I agree with you?

Again I agree. It never used to happen on this forum, but has of late. Fortunately, the moderation is excellent and personal insults and jokes in poor taste vanish quickly.

The ignore function is useful and members have the freedom to use it or ignore it.

2 Likes

I have tried this, preferences> notifications > users > muted, but it doesn’t ignore the two people I’ve added. It just stops notifications from them apparently. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Look above the muted option, there is an ignore option with a +add button, I’ve just tried it and “ignored” you, your post I’ve just replied to was hidden with an option to see hidden post. Now going back to un-ignore you, as I was just curious how it worked. (And I can see the post again.)

It’s in preferences - users, not preferences - notifications - users
Best

David

All I see is preferences - users - muted. Under this is written ‘Suppress all notifications from these users’

I’ll have to have a look on other browsers. I’m on Mac using Safari. Can’t see any option to ignore anywhere.

That’s Safari on an IPAD if that helps.