IKEA Kallax for LPs?

I’m a dedicated Expedit man, two sets :relaxed:

1 Like

This has stood the test of time.

17 Likes

This is B.S. and 100% the result of user error. If you stand up Expedit/Kallax on its side instead of orienting it correctly, and load it with records then you deserve your pain for being a complete idiot and not RTFM.

These shelves are perfectly sturdy for records if you do it right. My Kallax have stood fully loaded for seven years, and my Expedit for about five years before that.

6 Likes

How many records on average can you fit inside each compartment?

Just under 100 I reckon. I can’t be certain as I don’t have a full section without some box sets.

1 Like

100 seems a bit high. I reckon up to about about 70. The compartments are square, so why not just measure a 33cm run of your albums?

I used to have Eket (for less than a year) but it could not hold the weight of the records.

Expedit and Kallax works great and are cheap.

I counted one of mine and came to 88 - that’s including some Doubles which I counted as 2.

That’s very rude.

Bizarrely, you’ve just completely, absolutely, totally, unquestionably agreed with what I said.

It’s sturdy if you don’t tip it on its side.:scream_cat:

Pull yourself together. :worried:

6 Likes

There is a recommended max load per shelf of 13kg.

So that’s 65 No. 1990s single sleeved LP’s
Or. 45 No. 1950s Decca LXT LP’s.

Thank U all, :pray: After looking at all these great pic’s It’s made me think if I should change my shelving

Sorry…I didn’t say you are B.S. I said the fact that it ever happens is.

Sadly, it happens enough and people get turned off using them when they see the photos. They are perfectly suitable when – as we both agree – they are used correctly.

1 Like

I get about 50-70 LPs per shelf, depending on their packaging. For example, with the Music Matters 45 RPM gatelfold double LPs I get about 30 albums (60 LPs). With the older classical records that use single sleeves that aren’t tip-ons I get about 70 or so.

I preferred the strength and look of the Traby range ikea were doing until a few years ago. Units come up now and again on eBay but the glass doors are hard to come by. I took this pic a while ago- the shelves are all full up now so I guess I’ll have to stop buying records as I am not allowed to have a third row

15 Likes

So, it’s close on a year now, what did you go for?

@crasamet - got to say, I think your vinyl collection looks terrific in those. Lovely stuff.

2 Likes

I made up a second box to hold my 45’s, pleased with the result

by stewb, on Flickr

9 Likes

Wow, is that attached to the wall. Looks dangerous to me.
Just bought a 4x4 kallax with a stand to go underneath. If I use the stand the large boards are not horizontal, so not too keen about that.
On average how many LPs per compartment

They are not attached to the wall. Those have stood as they are for eight years now.

I will have to empty and move the left side next week. I have electricians wiring a dedicated 20 amp circuit and the outlets are on the left side next to the shelves. I have some new cryo’d Hubbell outslets for them to install that I got from AV Options.

1 Like

100-ish, IME… :thinking: