In home help

Yes probably the 300PS under the 252 is not good.

1 Like

So if l reconfigure the 6 components in a bank of 3 on 2 fraims side by side, what order shall l put them in?

1 Like

I now regret mentioning the relative position of two boxes of electronics. It’s a sideshow compared with the main issue you have which is speaker positioning.

Sadly that’s where they stay as choices are at a zero lm afraid (and lm not moving house !)

The toroidal transformer in the NDX2 is on the right hand side of the case, moving this further away from the 252 by swapping the boxes round would be a good move. There is plenty of space between the shelf that the 252 is on and the 300. I don’t see this as a major issue. As long as you minimise the compromises within reason there is little else you can do. We can’t all build our houses around our hifi can we? Err….Um…Maybe I built my log cabin around mine but I’m in a minority. :grimacing:

4 Likes

But he powers the NDX2 with a 555PS

Oh yeah! My bad. Hidden behind the rack. It’s not the first time I’ve had egg on my face. And it won’t be the last. :joy:. So just leave everything as is except the Sky box and enjoy.

:wink::rofl:
With regards plugging stuff into the mains, I would try to keep the skybox, TV (especially) and other stuff away from the power strip used by the Naim boxes. Just keep it simple and the same with signal interconnects into the 252 (less unknowns that way). Just the NDX2 to start with.

So to repeat my question how would you position each component if sat side by side in 2 separate units?

Assuming two three tier racks?

I’ll have a go on that assumption:
NDX2 CD555PS
252 Supercap
Nap300 Nap300PS

My logic being the toroidals kept over to the right/right. The 300 is probably a compromise and would be better over on the right.

The gurus might have a better suggestion but that’s what I’d do.

Yes 2 three tier racks
That all makes perfect sense
Thankyou

1 Like

I believe that there are some that will say a digital source (especially CD player) above a preamp is also not a good idea. So preamp on top of left stack and source above power supplies on the right stack. Maybe this is not the case with streamers though, in which case the suggestion made by Paul is a good one

1 Like

Yes, I’d agree with that, pre-amp on top.

The other consideration is how well the burndies can hang free. This often means that having the power supply that aligns with the box a bad idea as you go down the stack this will be a problem with the NAP300. Therefore I would arrange the power supplies on the right in an order that helps avoid this.

Possibly

252 CD55PS
NDX2 NAP300PS
NAP300 SuperCap

Bigger spacing between shelves would help here.

2 Likes

Indeed, if getting a Fraim-lite, medium shelves would improve cable dressing.

I also got a box similar to the Sky decoder on a shelf between 252 and NDS. I unplug it when I listen to music. I think that is good enough.

The trouble with doing that it provides the streamer via an Ethernet

I would fear that no amount of tweaking with Naim frame is going to get your room to sound like you wanted to as it would appear you have a conservatory behind the speakers and a lot of glass.

Before expending all this money what I would recommend in particular if you have a spare computer is to get a Roon and do sound measurements with the home audio fidelity program and get a set of filters that will attempt to sort out your room – Thierry is very good if he cannot manage filters that will improve the sound he will let you know.

We are living in an era where electronically you can indeed change the room!

.sjb

3 Likes

+1 for this suggestion. Thierry uses a light touch and his main concern is to even out the frequency response in a room. He is great to work with and the cost is relatively minimal compared to the overall cost of your system. The thread @Sloop_John_B points you to above is a really helpful description of what can be achieved.

1 Like

Bought a P3 yesterday with a Anya cartridge and stageline phono stage, l must admit l am hugely disappointed with the sound , there doesn’t seem to be hardly Amy top end?. Wondering if the upgrade PS will help

From a Rega dealer…? If so, ask them to help you.

If not… Well, you have already been advised to contact a dealer and ask them to help you with your system. But I guess that has not happened yet…?