Incompatible Music Tastes In the Home

A casual acquaintance of mine has been bass guitarist in a very well know & famous blues band since their formation in the early 1980’s.

Meeting up with him in the early 90’s he told me that his earnings from the band only just enabled him to pay the bills. He was far from being the rock star millionaire, despite having toured the globe several times performing, & had actually taken a full time day job to let him & his family enjoy some of the finer things in life.

The job? Managing Director of a company supplying industrial hearing protection equipment! They even sponsored the band! I was never sure what message this sent to their fans but he was unconcerned by this & the intervening years have suggested that neither were they.

Sounds like Mrs Bruss would have approved…

The late Mrs C had very strong views on what I could and couldn’t listen to in her presence. Even thou she had abroad taste in music quite often I get the “What the hell is this rubbish or you know I can’t stand this band.

Luckily the new Mrs C and our 14 year old will give any thing a listen. Even some of my very heavy stuff. But then again her favourite band is Iron Maiden and she loves Dylan. The child will listen to anything from country to full on hardcore punk. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I tried to educate my kids in music from birth. Mrs. FZ would be out a lot so I got to play a steady diet of classic and prog rock for the first few years of their life.

Did it sink in and imprint on impressionable minds? Did it hell. My eldest (5) now just walks over and switches the amp off.

5 Likes

Luckily my eldest took on board my good taste Sabbath Zeppelin and Purple. Not her mothers :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Having lived together for the past 12 years, I’m still no closer to determining what music Mrs D actually likes. One thing is for sure, however, she doesn’t like any of my stuff (which ranges from Byzantine & Orthodox Chants, Chinese pippa music to Yodelling, blues, rock and metal core - and probably anything else in between apart from pop of course))! Eventually, we worked out a routine whereby I’ll have my hour of listening in the evening whilst she watches a movie upstairs. Simple yet effective and it keeps us both happy!

Mines usually the slamming door variety of protest - from my teenage kids! They don’t appreciate post-punk or indie grunge. Ho hum.

2 Likes

My SO has similar music tastes to my own. I recall many years ago dating women who had shitty taste in music. Those relationships never lasted. I can’t imagine living with someone who didn’t like the music I enjoy. I’m tolerant of many things but not that.

Sort of solved the conflict by having the system in a (these days) spare room. Not optimal for SQ but SWMBO also doesn’t like the boxes, wires, shelves, and particularly the SBLs cluttering the public spaces. I know all of us get accused of ‘marrying our mothers’ but writing this I realise I didn’t and recall my mother used to insist on me cranking up the volume because ‘real music isn’t played at a whisper’. She also introduced me to F1 - as long as it was Lotus. What a Saint!

3 Likes

Hmmm. There might be a grain of truth to that. Mrs. FZ certainly isn’t hugely into music or hifi. But she’s quite okay with racks of boxes. Moreso than I in fact. She says a proper hifi lends a room an air of class just as musical instruments do. Not sure I agree but box count has never been an issue.

My mum gave me my dad’s old JVC amp and Bose speakers when I was barely double digits and bought herself a Linn system in the mid 90s with Keilidhs. She has a tiny music collection but has no patience for crappy sound or crappy TV speaker sound.

About 20 years ago, I went out with a nice girl from South America after being friends for quite a while. On the first outing I asked her what music she liked and her response was “Mainly Disney songs. Anything Disney with sheet music we can get around the piano and sing along to.

Call me a git if you like, but I can tell you now, I did not ask for a second date.

A lady can hate my music if she likes. I can even hate hers. But Disney songs… that crossed a line.

2 Likes

Have to agree with her.

Now she’s nice. :slight_smile:

My wife and I met “online” almost 14 yrs ago. Pretty much our first email ‘conversation’ was me telling her I like music, her asking me my favorite Beatles’ album, and me answering that really it’s the Rubber Soul - Revolver duo. I guess she knew right away I was a keeper!

Our only music incompatibilities are (1) she has no use for most prog (Yes especially, but does like Supertramp (whew)), (2) no use for live Grateful Dead, and (3) is much more sensory-sensitive than I am and just really needs quiet often. So I listen to my Yes and live Dead when she’s not around or on my 2nd system. But other than those, we both like all the same Beatles and 70’s rock (Floyd, Who, Led Zepp, etc) and jazz of every genre and pretty much everything else.

2 Likes

Now if there is an offputting album title, 中央フリーウィー is it. Makes me wonder if it’s songs inspired by traffic jams at the end of golden week.

The problem I have is that my husband really only likes Motown, nothing much after early 1970s. He often uses my tidal account which means the recommendations are “polluted” with ancient music so I get constant recommendations for 1960s playlists which I loathe! We have been married over 40 years and an uneasy truce exists under which we agree on certain albums (Stanley Road is one example). Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Motown (not all of it anyway) it is just that there is so much good stuff recorded over all decades and I think it is a cultural sin not to listen widely to all sorts. (PS being female, I think there is research showing that we have slightly more sensitive hearing which might explain the volume controversies covered above)

7 Likes

I have the same problem with my Spotify account. It’s all Ariana Grande because my daughter keeps using it!

Neither my daughter nor my wife are into the same music as me barring a few crossovers, but I am really easy going and can ‘put up with’ listening to many genres even though I would not choose to play them myself

I think “Child in time” might have put my kids off when they were held captive in the car whilst travelling.

Strangely Made In Japan was my go to for getting my daughter to sleep when she was little. She still listens to space trucking if she can’t sleep and she’s 31 now

How funny. Kids come in all sorts eh?

Certainly do. My 13 year old was out with the wife today. She had one of her play list on in the car but asked mum what she wanted to listen to. Wife suggested Johnny Mathis daughter loved it.

I’ve obviously been doing something wrong. Not even with the musical taste thing, just the being asked.