Infuriating NAIM gear!

Link plug easily fits back in, pulled it back out v slowly to pull out any recessed pins BUT this is the first time the link plug has been pulled since I bought the DAC new so as we from the North would say this is “going around the houses”

Checking pics on the Naim website and elsewhere the cable shown in the pics looks to be correct. As indeed does the nDAC socket.

Don’t get confused here by the pins - only some of them are used for the DAC - others on the DAC’s socket are used for the link plug. The S-XPS is used for a number of other units too.

I can see nothing wrong with the cable…

All Burndy have a single karger guide pin. Try and get this approximately lined up with the larger guide socket and your twusting and guess work can be greatly reduced.

So here is the two pictures taken by Calum, with the plug picture (flipped to be facing the socket) then overlaid onto the socket. This shows the pins lining up with the holes.

socketandcable

1 Like

Great effort dude! Just shows the community spirit over here. Hopefully music is playing on the DAC as we speak!

2 Likes

The bas**rd has gone in, but how? I’ve never known a situation where the pins of a cable do not have the same symmetry as the receiving item but I guess that would be asking too much of our fabulous Naim Audio!
How does an 11 pin cable fit something with 12 pins in different positions?! When I phoned up, the dealer and manufacturer both said I need a different but the arrangement of the DAC pins seemed so chaotic that some pins must not be utilised, completely mad

1 Like

Perhaps its visually confusing because the cable sort of goes in upside down? Plus some of the pins go into the holes with no ‘metal’ in them!

I hope you are not completely mad…?

No. As Richard said, some on the socket are for the plug loopback. It is not a dustcap. If there are no pins for loopback, no power.

1 Like

Because it’s now lined up properly. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

The socket is used for 2 different types of connection - loopback from the internal PSU & power from an external PSU. The first uses some pins for power output and some for power input, the second only uses the power input pins - so the cable doesn’t connect to all the pins in the socket.

The same cable is used to power a number of different devices, some require a different combination of power rails, the nDAC doesn’t require all the possible power rails that can be sent through the XPS Burndy, so some of the connections in the cable are unused and these go to holes in the socket that don’t have a connector.

It’s not mad (even though, superficially, it appears so), it’s actually an elegant engineering solution.

Congrats on getting it sorted out! Nothing harder / more infuriating in all of the setup than getting a Burndy “in.”

The best way IMHO is to understand how the markings on the Burndy itself should be oriented when it’s ready to slip in. Trying to connect it by placing it in random orientation with the contact, and then randomly rotating it about until it goes in – something I’ve done myself too many times – is too frustrating and inevitably leads one to conclude something is wrong other than the user not having it oriented properly.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.