Infuriating NAIM gear!

During the service the inside of the Hicap is rewired to remove the single rail supply.

User error, nothing more. That doesn’t make it any less infuriating however.

Rigged up my just-bought-today XPS DR to DAC, or that was the intention, came to Burndy connection to discover the bloody DAC has different pin configuration to the supplied Burndy, apparently I need a Burndy “D”, pi**ed as the person in flat above is away and was looking forward to give the gear

a proper workout. To be fair to dealer they contacted the manufacturer who’ll ship the right Burndy Monday. Meanwhile, looking at a 3.5 grand slab of metal and no tunes

The Naim DAC and XPS should be connected with an S-XPS Burndy. I thought that’s what comes with the XPS DR as standard? IIRC, the Burndy should have 11 pins.

My XPS DR came with the stiff rubber sleeved S-XPS Burndy. It was a 2015 model. You sure it doesn’t fit?

This is what it came with

Looks like the same S-XPS that came with mine. Do you have the manual for the DAC? Just confirm it uses this Burndy. Remember that most of the time they need gentle persuasion (Burndy Massaging) to get the sockets to align correctly! Could this be the problem? There are usually 2 plastic ridges that show the position to insert the cable in.

According to the manufacturer the XPS DR can be used with the DAC, there are no preconditions I know of, no amount of wriggling can connect them with what I’ve been supplied they are not aligned simple as, pi**ed to be honest with someone, but who ? I paid my money

It’s difficult to see clearly in the picture, but a couple of the pin sockets on your DAC look like they may be slightly damaged or recessed (it can happen if you try to fit a plug and you get it slightly misaligned). Are you able to re-fit the link plug? If so try that, then re-try fitting the S-XPS Burndy cable (remember the large/wide tab on the outer plastic ring of the Burndy connector goes at the top).

I have a nDAC with an Olive XPS. An S-XPS cable fits just fine.

Make sure the collar is fully undone first. Note where the alignment lugs match the socket and it should just got ok. Locking the collar should smoothly pull the plug home with no effort.

Facts:

1. I bought The DAC new, still owner today
  2. NAIM AUDIO have -10% promo
  3. Oh, XPS DR
  4. Pay £ 3.5 k
  5. This DAC does not connect with the XPS DR, see previous picture, the Burndy has completely different connections

Odd. I used to have a nDAC and used it with an XPS DR connected by an S-XPS Burndy. It could be a fiddle to seat the Burndy properly, but it certainly connected OK.

Roger

I sense a degree of frustration. As Richard has said ensure that the link plug still fits in and the DAC powers up. If the Burndy is marked as S-XPS then it should fit.
Line it up off your rack shelf if you haven’t already tried this and add a blob of blutak to mark the top. This should make alignment easier on the rack.

To be fair to the OP it does look from the photos that the pin configurations are different between the DAC and the Burndy (although a reply from him in another thread was somewhat unnecessarily acerbic and obtuse).

i can testify that connecting the burndys is specially not fun! you must be patient and turn slowly the cable in order to find the connection.

Once line up they connect very easily. :blush:

Apologies to the other bloke in advance for being “unnecessarily acerbic and obtuse” but from Monty Python “this is a dead parrot!”, these connections will never line up, the dealer said the manufacturer will send the right Burndy

it reminds me when i bought my 555dr 3 years ago. The first generation of powerline couldn’t fit in it. Only the recent powerline.

Your DAC is not dead it’s just sleeping.

2 Likes

Compare the pictures, there’s no way the Burndy is going to snuggle in and fit the DAC, totally acerbic and obtuse yes but…