Innuos 2.0 - Innsights

No idea why but it does doesn’t it.

1 Like

Nope, none of that here.

I think your points are well made. Thanks for the effort as it cleared up some things which didn’t make ‘sense’ to me. This was a useful debate IMHO.

The cutting off part of a track issue- there’s a known issue with WAV and AIFF files - don’t know if those were the file types you were playing?

I’m finding the new app is increasingly unstable.

Finding art work for all my old ALAC files is a nightmare. Either won’t find anything to match, or won’t even search unless numerics and punctuation are removed from the search line.

Queuing up songs is flawed and usually doesn’t work.

Switching from one song to another song, particularly in another album offers freezes the app.

SQ when using Qobuz, which I thought was great - the USB out of the Zenith to SPDIF converter to Nova route - isn’t substantively better than when using Qobuz from Nova.

Radio does sound great but I’m not a big fan of extended radio listening.

Stored files: I’m still not sure if there’s much to be gained SQ wise using USB out as above vs UPnP.

As a control app I’m missing Roon.

As a pure SQ proposition my initial ardour is waning.

Interesting. I wonder to what extent this is hardware dependent? App is absolutely stable here. I don’t tend to queue stuff but the family do and haven’t reported any issues at all. Not had any freezes other than when trying to use Qobuz which I have largely abandoned anyway.

Can’t use MQA so I’ve been comparing CD quality between Qobuz and Tidal and Tidal wins for all three of us.

I have a couple of annoying issues but nothing major. A meta data issue where it has selected one artist of two available and then when you go to select the other it has disappeared. Innuos could not have been more responsive and whilst it’s annoying it’s hardly a deal breaker.

I have also found that creating playlists on Tidal does make them visible on Sense but I have to restart the app each time. A refresh won’t do it.

That’s disappointing, however I always struggled with why it would sound any better using USB or USB/Spdif converter over network. Your using a noisy computer with the Innuos, however much they try to mitigate it with the new software, large memory buffer and PSUs the server end should in my book be decoupled from the audio side. It’s what I have always done with whatever server software I use and it’s always sounded great. It’s more convenient to have less boxes but your spending extra on things to try and mitigate it, such as the phoenix or the audiophileo, when you have a very good streaming solution in the Nova in the first place.

I am sure they will get the app better in time. You have at least two options with the system you have. It’s not a bad position to be in.

Yes, I think and hope the app will improve over time.

For now, I’ve run configured Roon and I’m going to see if there actually is any SQ improvement to be had using Innuos 2.0 vs Roon.

I thought SQ was the be all and end all, but Sense’s currently poor usability (for me, maybe not for others) has brought Roon back into play.

I’ve bought a month of Roon again, so I’ll see what transpires.

Question (I think it’s been asked a few times before): when I’m using Roon (as Core Server) where is my Qobuz coming from: Nova or Zenith?

When using Roon it all comes from the server that’s the whole point of it. It all goes through the core to be directed to endpoints you want. This allows them to know what’s the stream is and signal path etc and apply any DSP if wantedm So in your case the Innuos via Roons engine. The streams all come from the same source Qobuz they are not from Roon. Roons servers manage the backend distribution for metadata and content for local, Qobuz and Tidal there is no API to connect to Qobuz or Tidals database like Innuos. Roon get full database dumps of data from their services during the week and create their own database to house it all and interact with, this is why it has the ability to manage the data from these services in such a way that others really can’t match and allow to edit and add to their metadata. Also the reason for the delays on some new releases as they don’t get that metadata in time if it’s a late decided release.

I would use the native Roon RAAT support in the Nova over network rather than using the Innuos as the player and using the USB Spdif out. It’s the optimised route for Roon, they don’t recommend to have the server as the player for optimal SQ. Naims RAAT implementation is one of the best imo. You still might prefer the other way or find Innuos player better thats personal preference I suppose but only you can decide what outweighs the benefits of one over the other. Personally Roon sounds as good as Naims UPnP in my system I can’t tell a difference except for Tidal which is much better via Roon for some reason. I only use Qobuz these days though and sounds great and equal to my cd rips of same album.

No I was playing Qobuz.

After a sticky start when my Qobuz favourites wouldn’t synch it has been pretty straightforward. No problems with artwork or tracks not playing as they should, sound quality is good. The major issue I have, and believe/hope it will be addressed in 2.05, is the search function doesn’t work for me, so I have to go in through artist/album/play.
I haven’t tried the Innuos app on iPad/iPhone, been running it on MacBook M1. It’s hard sometimes to judge if the app has issues or just the way I’m using it is the problem.
I have used Roon for a few years and yes currently the Innuos app lacks the search/info levels provided by Roon but I guess time will tell. Currently don’t feel the urge to switch back to Roon.
Update, should have known better than to tempt fate, Qobuz favourites now show up but don’t play, just disc not found message, will check in after 2.05 meanwhile back over at Roon sounding good and the software is working.

Out of interest has anyone used the ability to export a playlist of songs to a USB drive yet? I’ll be damned if I can get it to work. Mrs. H. has a trip to Dorset later in the week so 500 of our own songs would have been handy.

Inserted a 2TB USB drive in the Innuos and firstly was prompted to reformat as ExFAT or FAT32. PC only allowed NTFS or ExFAT and seemed unhappy doing a full format so I did a quick format of ExFAT.

The Innuos recognised the drive and, albeit slowly, moved a playlist of just under 200 tracks allegedly successfully.

Stuck it in the car and it refused to recognise the drive. Checked it on a W10 machine and it tells me the drive is empty.

Any clues?

I’ve never tried it Mike. It’s just as easy to drag and drop the files to the drive over my network which sees the innuos as a pc

I have raised a ticket on it. Can also drag agd drop from the PC but it’s painfully slow.

Anyone else finding it a bit frustrating that the IOS app frequently loses contact with the server? Especially while playing. Basically you’re almost guaranteed that this happens if you do anything else on your phone and then go back to Sense or just after about 15 minutes- a bit concerning that this issue is not listed as a known issue on the Innuos website- but I know from the Innuos Facebook group that I’m not the only one experiencing this

1 Like

Hi @Moonglum, unfortunately I don’t think the known issues on the Innuos site capture all the issues being experienced by users. Understandably users are commenting/raising tickets based on their personal difficulties, this covers a wide range of issues. It also raises issue of timing, the above issue you are asking about doesn’t affect me today but may do further down the line.
I still don’t have a definitive response that the search function doesn’t work or that I can’t list my albums by alpha. Perhaps it’s time for Innuos to capture and communicate the range of issues, and where possible fixes, to all it’s users, that way we can. solve things and move on.

All this certainly give me a perspective on app software by Naim and Roon that I have read hear on the forum. Seems it not so easy to do this sort of thing. I have had almost no issues myself, luckily, but I don’t do a lot of fancy stuff. The only think that keeps happening to me is that I loose connection and have to reconnect to the core on Roon/Nucleus+ all on Tidal. Other than that I am totally happy.

This started to become a thing for me the moment I connected to Tidal. If I logout then it’s absolutely stable. I already raised a ticket on it last night.

Innuos responded quickly and now the lms server shows in the naim app.
However, It only shows music ripped by the zen mk3; nothing copied from the nas onto the innuos. I don’t have an option for tidal, qobuz or internet radio. The sense app shows all music, and everything else, but only USB output works with the app. Is there something obvious that I’m missing? Thanks in advance,

Peter

You cannot see anything other than whats in the Innuos storage via the Naim app, you won’t ever get Tidal or Qobuz it’s a basic UPnP server. It should see you downloads if they are on the same HDD I would have thought. Don’t you have to import copied files though or trigger a library update to pick them up?