Innuos 2.0 - Innsights

If I didn’t know better I’d think you’re all having me on.

How bad did it sound before considering all these improvements? :wink:

.sjb

4 Likes

As bad as Roon :wink:

4 Likes

Sounded good, but sounds damn good now.

Makes me think do OEM strangle SQ on firmware changes to maintain the box hierarchy.

And now with 2.0.5 I can go back using the stabil Roon via squeezelight/ upnp Bridge/272/ LAN setup. Sense sq is better, but constantly skipping/freezing.

You may be on to something…

I believe the next Panorama Investigates program with expose a sound emissions software chip that Naim have installed in all their amplifiers. These can be dealer set up and modified. They have been present for years, the first and most rudimentary caused sound to have an edge after 8 years and thus owners had them recapped. Over the years they have become more sophisticated and can be even controlled remotely. Panorama will exclusively expose how a new very expensive cable had in fact negligible difference on the sound of the system that it is the remote activation of the Statement chip that is the cause of the apparent increase in sound quality.

Panorma will disclose that a Nait XS with the statement chip removed or remotely activated to it’s optimum capacity are sonically indistinguishable from their high end statement amplifier.

Many enthusiasts have had their doubts about Naim sound quality in recent years with many thinking the Nait 2 has never been bettered. The Panorama exposé explains this conundrum as the Nait 2 apparently was the last Naim amplifier not to have a chip added.

Rather ingeniously the internal chip recognised when tweaks were being done to a system, so if burndy cables and interconnects were removed and the amplifier unplugged and moved, the software chip upgraded the sound slightly so when it was powered up again the cable dressing or Fraim reassembly was seen (heard) to have a positive effect.

Most controversially there was a joint agreement in place for a few years with chord cables where the chip recognised when a chord cable was plugged in and immediately released some of the repressed sound. There are rumours that this situation is strangely mirrored by ferrite chips with the Naim sound emissions chip recognising them as a partnered product and releasing some of the repressed sound

must set up the program to record

SJB

3 Likes

What can I say. Wife had I have been trying to one up each other selecting tracks from 7pm and we’re still going now.

Prior to 2 I was enjoying music on my new source far more than my CDX2/XPS2, which had given me 18 years but a very unsatisfactory last few. I was nevertheless conscious of the weak points i.e. cheap wireless bridge introducing significant noise through its proximity to the Zenith and the 202 plus an impedance mismatch between my 200 and my Zu speakers for which the Naim will ultimately pay the price.

2.04 unexpectedly dropped the noise floor significantly; boosted bass and balance/clarity and left me thinking I could put off the purchase of either 30m of CAT6 and a lot of work between two floors, or, a new wireless bridge. 2.05 makes none of it matter. I could live with this right now.

1 Like

Still listening to music post midnight if that helps persuade anybody.

1 Like

So am I :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

… but with no Innuos in sight.

But I’m glad there’s at least 2 of us up when we should know better and head to bed.

Whatever keeps us up is good.

.sjb

2 Likes

Mike is right in that the clarity of the Zeniths have improved with the Sense 2.0 upgrade by quite a bit which came as a surprise to me as I was only hoping for a better UI which it certainly is compared with IPeng.

Good stuff - Life in a Scotch Living Room vol 2 has never sounded so atmospheric on my system.

2 Likes

Zen Mini Mk2 here and still stuck on 1.4.9 waiting for 2.0

mini mk 3 here but hanging on for a bit i think until they have upnp integrated… or at least until some glitches ironed out

Zen Mini Mk 3 here.

Added the matching power supply last week and have been experimenting with it as well as trying Roon Experimental mode and yesterday downloaded the new Innuos Sense software 2.05. I have a headphone amp attached to the Zen Mini via USB so that is all I have been able to compare but it has been interesting.

The headphone setup is most definitely better with the addition of the LPSU - deeper and richer sound. Roon Experimental mode gives extra sparkle and clarity but I would say that Sense 2 is probably the best of them all so far. It seems to my ears on my modest system that the Sense sound is similar to Roon Experimental but probably shades it.

Basic Roon, to me, still sounds very, very good and I will use it on my main system but probably use Sense 2 on the headphone setup until Innuos can stream it to my Atom - I look forward to hearing how that sounds.

I am just using the desktop “app” for Sense 2 atm and it seems quite similar to Roon in design and all the better for it. I still prefer the Roon app atm when reading up about artists or reviews, etc.

Overall, a very good start by Innuos and a worthy potential contender to Roon if it can do UPNP, multi room etc.

Just my two cents.

Peter

1 Like

Same experience here on Steely Dan Aja. Sounding sensational with instrument notes popping out of thin air all over the room.

Phil

2 Likes

I’m still amazed at good Radio Paradise sounds since V2 came in. Incidentally, whilst it still sounds fantastic I can’t hear any difference between 2.0.5 and 2.0.4

2 Likes

Similar experience in SQ improvement… however, the zenmini mk3 became unresponsive to the app when I choose the next track: it continued playing the current song, while on the app the newly selected track was shown as playing :flushed:

Checked their feedback zone and it’s a known issue “App loses connection to server after some time”. Suggested workaround is using the browser interface. My workaround is to end and restart the app. Other issue looks like you can connect from one device only to the server using the app or webbrowser :(. I currently use the app on my phone and the browser on the tablet…

That’s because there is no difference in sound quality between 2.0.4 and 2.0.5, Innuos have confirmed this.

Good was a bit worried i was going deaf given feedback from others they’d heard an improvement

1 Like

Given 2.0.4 bugs affected some of us, mine for instance never completing the collection of artist data, there was probably more processing going on to generate noise.

I have once found the Sense App couldn’t pause playback but iPeng did.

I am disappointed with the nonexistent response from their support team. I guess they are prioritising support tickets. 2.0.5 did fix the collection of artist bios though.

Also I guess if I had a Phoenix USB I might have better noise isolation with a £2.5k dent in my pocket!

Phil

To me their clearly is as well as others, reminds me of Naim in the early days saying only bug fixes no SQ change and guess what each change has a knock on effect.

I’m only quoting Innuos, I saw your initial comment I understood you have the Innuos Zen Mini ? so in the context of you saying sound quality improved it did, the improvement is 1.49 to 2.0.4, if you follow me ? I feel there was an improvement but not between 2.0.4 and 2.0.5