Innuos + Dave vs Innuos + ND555

Ah got you - yes that makes sense :+1:

I struggle to understand that you can compare music on your Nas vs on your Innuos Statement, as you have the MSB dac. The Innuos is connected by USB to the dac, so the Innuos is the streamer but also the server in that case?

Correct.
Theoretically it should sound better using the Innuos as server and renderer as the music is initially buffered in its RAM and played from there, while this doesnā€™t happen when the music server is external (or so Iā€™ve been told)

The music server isnā€™t external in this case. The server and USB renderer is the Innuos Statement. The music store is just external (NAS) rather than the internal store in the Statement. Wouldnā€™t it still buffer the track into RAM in both cases ?

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I would have thought but an ex Innuos employee on FB said it happens only when the music is stored on the Innuos itself.
Seems a bit strange to me i.e. I donā€™t see a reason why it canā€™t be done using an external storageā€¦ but, there you goā€¦

1 Like

Interesting - I suppose Innuos have more control of activity of external interfaces when running from the internal store. If you canā€™t hear a difference then at least youā€™ve got cheaper options for external storage expansion rather than needing more internal drive space :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Does that mean qobuz and internet radio are not buffered then? Id be very surprised to hear that because they sound superb, its hard to differentiate them and I dont see why that would apply anyway.

If thereā€™s no difference, why keep such expensive Server/ Nas. MSB does streaming modules to incorporate in their dacs. You could have one and just keep the Nas for storage?

The Innuos Statement sounds superb, wherever the music is stored!
Where I donā€™t hear a difference is between when the music is stored locally (on the Innuos) and when it is stored externally on a NAS.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never used the Innuos with a NAS, but the Innuos Statement sounded much better than my Roon Nucleus+ with Sean Jacobs power supply, which in turn sounded better than my QNAP fanless NAS.

1 Like

Yeah, there seems to be quite a bit of variation in experiences in this regard. The only reason Iā€™d go the Innuos route is for improved SQ. Though Iā€™m still intrigued by the PhoenixNet and will likely get one at some point.

Maybe itā€™s more your dac which sounds superb?
Have you tried another transport with your MSB dac?
I am curious because searching for different possibilities to upgrade from my Nds/555 dr.
I know the Innuos Statement is a very good product howeverā€¦ā€¦

Hi FR, yes, my dac does sound very good and I have used it with Sonore uR.
However, the Innuos Statement definitely bettered things; no doubt at all.

1 Like

Just an update and a correction to what I have previously written.

I enquired directly with Innuos Support for the playback from RAM matter, and this was the response: ā€œā€¦ all tracks play from memory, regardless of where they are stored (internal drive or NAS), even when streaming (Tidal / Qobuz), tracks are first loaded to memory before playbackā€.

2 Likes

Hi all,

The Innuos Next Gen power supply upgrade for the Innuos Statement costs Ā£3,900 plus return shipping to Portugal. The upgrade essentially replaces the current power supply with the equivalent of a Sean Jacobs DC4 ARC6, which includes new rectification, 4X the amount of Mundorf capacitance, a large Choke, active regulation and a power boost module for the CPU delivering up to 15A :wink:

When using the Statement with Innuos Sense 2.X OS, both internal and external files are loaded to RAM before playing, so all files essentially become ā€˜internalā€™. In addition the SW is based on ā€˜Pushā€™ technology so the network is only active when thereā€™s something specific to move. A ā€˜pullā€™ architecture is constantly polling ā€¦ā€¦ā€anything for meā€ā€¦ā€™Anything for meā€, which is constantly interrupting the CPU and generating network noise.

3 Likes

I have been fortunate to hear the DAVE/M-Scalar/SJ DC4 power supplies fronted by both the Innuous Statement and more recently the Taiko Extreme. The Taiko imparts a completely different listening experience and made me realize things I thought were lacking in the DAVE were not actually due to the DAVE. Yes, you could get a nice new sedan auto for the cost of the Taikoā€¦but thats not the point! Iā€™m sure the Statement power upgrade will come closer to bridging the large gap that currently exists between the Statement and the Taiko.

1 Like

Well itā€™s almost here, 31st of may and then its a massive FREE upgrade time, this will take the bartock to a completely new level of performance, maybe still time to grab a bargain?

Hi Dunc,
I just saw that DCS will show their new Dac, Clock, and Headphone amp, the Lina range.
The Lina streamer with dac and additional clock will cost 20 k euros. Is it inferior to Rossini or a new range? Perhaps you have some infos. I am curious.

It is below the bartock according to what dCS have said, but i believe thats also when the bartock has a separate clock like the rossini one.
It runs 2.0, like the bartock will be doing in a few days time.
No apex dac like the rossini or vivaldi.
Plus the dac works differently, canā€™t remember what, but its more designed for head phones rather than 2 channel.

1 Like

20k for something that sits below the Bartok? Gosh, thatā€™s a lot. It wasnā€™t long ago that the Bartok was Ā£10kā€¦

Best, BF