Innuos Issues

After a few months of faultless operation, my Zen 3 (feeding my NDS via Sense UPnP) now plays all tracks at ~ 110% normal speed! Some might argue this is a positive for a few selected artists, but overall it’s not a great result.

Several reboots / factory resets / app reinstalls haven’t resolved the issue. If I switch to the Naim app via native UPnP, everything plays at the correct tempo.

Waiting to hear back from Innuos support (waiting, waiting…). In the meantime does anyone know if there’s a way to reinstall Innuos firmware on the Zen 3?

Just to reassure you I had the same problem when I had the NDS on loan last month. I was wondering if there was issue with either the NDS or the Zen mini mk3 but looks like to be a software issue.

I hadn’t up dated my innous software since 2.4 it was after the update to 2.6 that the issue of the chipmunks arose. I’m back to using my 272 and there is no issue.

1 Like

Thanks, somewhat relieved to know I’m not the only one singled out for chipmunk treatment.

I’m also getting the same effect running the Zen 3 into my Qute 2, so I’m satisfied it’s not a Naim issue.

Seems to be no way to reinstall either current or previous firmware editions on the Zen, but I guess Innuos have their reasons for that.

2 Likes

Can not test here as I run zenith as server only.
Innous support is really nice - they will definitely help out.

2 Likes

Innuos’ reply to my query was to suggest I use Native UPnP instead of Sense UPnP, as the former is ‘the more stable option’.

As several others have noted, Sense UPnP does seem to offer a slight uplift in SQ, but evidently Innuos concede it’s still a work in progress.

FWIW, I think I’ve resolved the chipmunk issue by resetting UPnP player preferences from the LMS server page.

I think the main issue is that Innuos are trying to accommodate a vast range of streamers and sometimes problems occur as a result. I had an issue where I could only play one track at a time via my Linn DSM and they advised using the Linn ap for the timebeing. That was a shame at the time as Sense was clearly superior but fortunately all has been resolved now and I’m back to using Sense.

1 Like

Try changing the sampling RPM from 45prm to 33 RPM…decades ago I made the same error with some 12" EPs.

2 Likes

Fair point, and they’re doing a pretty good job overall.

Unfortunately the chipmunks returned after a brief hiatus. The Zen 3 still works fine playing into a separate DAC via USB, so it’s definitely the UPnP implementation that’s gone wonky.

But given all the positive comments about Innuos support, I’d have expected some attempt from them at troubleshooting. Maybe the next OS update improves things.

1 Like

I’ve opened up the unit but can’t see a rubber belt… any pointers?

1 Like

Knowing Linn, you need a 50Hz motor pulley instead of a 60Hz one.
When I went to the Geddon, I also had to fork out $$ for a 50Hz motor.

I spoke too soon, my bad. Got an email today from Mr Vitorino saying they’ve added a new ‘NDS v2’ profile to the Sense UPnP settings. Result: I can stream Tidal at normal speed again :grinning:

As I wasn’t expecting any further response to my query, receiving a follow-up from their top guy – and with a bespoke solution to boot – is quite impressive. Faith restored!

5 Likes

One of the more extraordinary elements of support from Innuos is that it’s ongoing; costs nothing and often involves Nuno himself.

Have always been immensely cheered when on remote chats with their staff that, whilst they whizz through code before your eyes, the chat inevitably turns to music and what they can see of your collection on their screens. Have spoken to many manufacturers and dealers where music has never come up once, ever.

6 Likes

I’ll chime in here with an Innuos problem of my own, in case anyone has experienced this and perhaps found a solution. I’m also using a Zen Mk III with the current version of the Sense app (2.6.3) into an NDS. Connection between the Zen and the NDS is via ethernet. Everything was working well in fall 2023, but sometime after a Sense update (can’t remember which one, unfortunately), I started to have problems with the following file types:

1. All DSD files (single rate) would play but had very obvious white noise. Not pleasant to listen to.
  2. WAV files with sampling frequency above 96 kHz (but within the NDS’s stated maximum of 192 kHz) gave only loud white noise and no music.

All FLAC files, standard Redbook up to the 192 kHz max of the NDS, and WAV files up to 96 kHz played without problem. This behaviour occurs from both the NDS/NDX and NDS v2 profiles.

The offending files played without problem from a USB stick or using the Focal/Naim app in native UPnP, so it seems to be a problem with the Sense app rather than the NDS.

I’m curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Do you play it via sense App - not via naim app.
Edit: have seen that you already checked via upnp
Have checked - no problem when streamed via naim app up to 192 and dsd.
I had some issues with the toggle bar when skipping forward - like static clicks when unsung the sense app. Therefore I went back to upnp and naim app

Obvious question. Has this been reported to Innuos via the app?

I’m just catching up with this thread. Nuno worked with my system online to create the nds tab. Should we all move to v2 or just those using tidal?

I’d second the recommendation to just contact Innuos support. They are very caring and effective.

2 Likes

My initial issues with Zen 3 / Sense into NDS were all streams playing too fast, followed by only Tidal running too fast with local streaming at correct speed. Since switching to the NDS v2 profile, everything works 100%.

FWIW, I also now use the NDS v2 profile with my UQ2 streamer, which fixed an issue of extra-long gaps between songs.

I’d suggest trying the new NDS v2 profile for any first gen Naim streamer having issues with Sense. Otherwise, if all works as it should, then perhaps no need to switch.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by what is meant by a “profile” in this context. New concept to me in relation to Innuos and other hardware.

The Sense app offers a choice of streamer profiles in UPnP settings e.g. Naim, Linn, dCS, Devialet etc, in addition to a default profile.

The Naim NDS profile stopped working for me (and probably others) after Sense update 2.6.3.

Innuos helpfully then added an NDS v2 profile, which fixed the problem for me.

1 Like