Innuos Issues

I had a ticket open about this problem at Innuos and Nuno suggested using the new NDS v2 profile. To force the profile to appear, I needed to reboot my Zen Mk 2…, which it refused to do. After heroic efforts by my dealer and Innuos to sort the problem, we came to the conclusion that my Zen Mk 2 was a brick. I am now the owner of a Zen Mk 3, courtesy of a very fair offer from my dealer.

The Zen Mk 3 has the NDS v2 profile but, as I’ve described, the problem playing DSD files or WAV files above 96 kHz remains.

Certainly, the next step is to open another ticket and (probably) organize an online session with Innuos. However, I’m leaving tomorrow on several weeks holiday, so this will have to wait until I return. My post here was just to cover the small probability that someone else might have experienced and solved this problem.

I’ve also experienced the white noise issue once or twice streaming hi-res Tidal from the Zen 3.

But the same problem occurred (more often) when I had a Mac / Audirvana serving files to the NDS, so I suspect it may not be an Innuos problem per se.

If you delve into your Zen’s LMS settings there are numerous ways to tweak how the streams are processed – but also an easy way to mess things up :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I would disagree with that after they bricked my server a year ago, got in their scary lawyers, awaiting a ruling in a few months.

Poking around the in LMS sounds a bit like fiddling with the Windows registry without knowing exactly what you’re trying to accomplish. Best left to people who know what they’ve doing

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this has dragged on for so long and couldn’t be resolved amicably.

My own experience has been very different.

2 Likes

I thought that at first sight but it definitely isn’t like that at all. No comparison really. The LMS interface leaves a lot to be desired but in essence is pretty straightforward.

1 Like

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/innuos-issues/34430/22?u=jschmidt
Have returned from my travels and thought that I would close the loop on my posts in this thread. I queried Innuos again re the issue with playing DSD files or WAV files above 192 kHz. The recommendation now is that the Sense App is still a work in progress and to use native UPnP and the Focal/Naim app. There is also a hint that an overhaul of the Sense App is in the works to improve compatibility, but no clear timeline. So back to the Focal/Naim app it is.

Surely the overhaul is the newly released v3 and now 3.0.1?

If it is, then v3 doesn’t solve the problem. I downloaded v 3.01 before trying the problematic files again and the report to tech support was made after this.

Sense app may still be a work in progress, but 3.0 is running faultlessly on my Zen 3 (for files up to 192kHz) and with slightly improved SQ vs. Sense 2.6.

Turns out faultless streaming is an entirely new experience for me (see: Audirvana, Naim app / Tidal, Bubble, mconnect, etc.

So much better not having to reboot various boxes several times a week!

4 Likes

When you bought your Zen 3 did you compare it to the Zennith 3 and if so could you share your experiences and why you went for the Zen 3?
Im trying to figure out if the Zennith 3 is worth the extra money over the Zen 3 sound quality wise playing predominantly ripped CDs and future bought and downloaded Hi-Res music.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I bought a used Zen 3 on the auction site so I didn’t have a chance to demo anything.

I did read one review where the reviewer thought the differences between Zen & Zenith were fairly minor, and that the Zen 3 offered better value, but I have no personal experience of the Zenith.

It would be best to make the comparison if you can. I moved from the Zen to the Zenith and now the Statement, each change has brought a noticeable upgrade. The Zen is a great bit of kit, is the Zenith worth the extra ?, I think so but you may be happy with the Zen.

3 Likes

@easeback1 -Many thanks for the reply.

@glasnaim - Many thanks for sharing your experience with Innuos devices. I will check if my local Innuos dealer has both the Zen and Zenith on demo to try and compare.

I will start a new thread on CD Rippers/Music Servers to broaden out the question on what to go for and seek more feedback on whether Innuos is the way to go or other options.

You should compare
I went straight to zenith as I am convinced the SJ psu architecture is very good. But will you hear a major difference?
I only use the zenith as server. In my case there might have been only minor differences - but the simple storage do make a difference.

My Innuos is running fast…. Chipmunk syndrome……

How do I get this NDS v2 profile?

Regards
Gary

I did a home demo and there was a clear step up when the Zenith was added v the zen, with power supply

It’s in the audio settings for your ND model

I can get to here but can’t seem to search/amend anything

@Farthings-cat

Select the 3 dots to the right of Naim NDS

Select Settings

Select down arrow

Scroll down profile menu to NDS v2

1 Like