Innuos Statement Next Generation Power Supply

I paid GBP 3,900 incl. shipping from and to dealer and VAT

Thanks for sharing this information Michaelb.

Peter

1 Like

Thanks for continuing to share your experiences. You mentioned some areas you were impressed by. I think you may also have mentioned next-gen made an easily noticeable difference but not massive. Can you detect one or two areas where the Next-Gen is most different from the prior gen? Or is it more of a general improvement across the board?

I know it is really, really tough to answer without having them side by side, but I was wondering if anything sticks out….

I’ve tried to go through it in detail. All the differences noted simply got consistently and continually bigger in all the areas mentioned as the upgraded Statement burnt in.

How massive is massive now?

I couldn’t put a tape measure to it, but certainly wouldn’t want to do without it, in the same way as I missed the Statement horribly when it was away being upgraded. We’re certainly talking about much more than just noticeable now that it’s run in.

Listing them out:

• greater detail, but rich and integrated not fractal isolation

• greater dynamics

• sharper timing

• greater separation of instruments and performers (but organic not the artificial separation of instrument strings etc. you can sometimes get with bad expensive cables for example)

• greater cohesiveness and stronger sense of performer interplay

• increased instrumental/vocal texture and therefore expressiveness

• extended soundstage breadth and depth - sense of space and separation

• lower noise floor

In terms of the emotional impact of instrumental tones, timbres and textures, everything is much more lifelike and affective (from piano to horns, saxophone, cello voice etc) and everything sounds much more in the room with you, but the ambience of distinctive venues (RAH, Wigmore, etc) are conveyed.

I’ve had increasing moments of slack-jawed surprise and enchantment, to gush for a second.

In the end, this is a very significant upgrade, equivalent to a good black box upgrade, DR-ing or adding a second ND555 power supply at least. But it has strange nebulous qualities, too, that are not easy to define but do significantly increase the emotive power of the music. Poor recordings don’t sound worse: in fact some very old recordings sound very much more moving and impactful. But really good recordings can become truly magical.

Perhaps the easiest thing to say is that there are lots of improvements across a wide spectrum of areas, but they’re all synergistic, working together so that the overall impact is more than the sum of the parts.

I started off mildly expectant, curious and a little sceptical but trusting, and now come through the burn-in process extremely impressed. I’d recommend the upgrade to anyone with a revealing system who can afford it without discomfort.

That’s not to say it won’t have a very noticeable effect in “lesser” systems. As I have mentioned, many of its effects can be readily perceived on the Atom HE with top Focal headphones, but it’s a bit of a “reverse mullet” there :blush:

1 Like

Sorry if you have covered this elsewhere but do you have your Statement plugged into the same circuit as your Naim kit ?

It’s on a different socket (along with the PhoenixNet on a Sean Jacobs star-earthed power block) but the same circuit.

Thanks Michael. Interesting… I have just changed to a similar set up, from to separate circuit to a second outlet on the same (dedicated) circuit. I have all my Naim kit on a dedicated circuit, from a single outlet to a Musicworks block. My interpretation of guidance from the forum led me to set up the Statement on a separate circuit, which I had done until recently.

Initial impression after the change is mostly positive - clarity, nuance, timbre, pace all improved, but a little harder in the upper frequencies. That may well be because the second outlet (Furutech NCR) has rarely been used and needs to burn in. My next experiment will be to connect it to the same block as the Naim kit but I wont do that for quite a while - I like to let things settle and adjust to changes over an extended period before deciding if I like something or not.

2 Likes

I’d be interested to hear how that goes… :wink:

1 Like

I have my Zenith on the MusicWorks Ultra G3 along with the Naim bar the 500 which is direct off the double socket of the radial.

Phil

2 Likes

Is the 500 connected before or after the MW block? Have you tried both ways ?

The double socket of the radial has the 500 and the MusicWorks plugged into it. The left side of the MusicWorks has 552, 555, nDAC. The Right has Rega Aria phonostage, blank, Innuos Zenith.

I spent a long time checking various configurations at the beginning. This seemed best including keeping the 500 on the radial socket.

The way I look at it that there are three PowerLine lengths of cable between the 500 and the others electric wise. I am very careful to avoid the PowerLines touching as well interconnects. It is on an 80% wool carpet.

Phil

I meant which of the double sockets - the first or second in line?

There is only one double socket. The 500 is on the left.

Phil

Does your dedicated radial connect to the left or the right socket? I had assumed the first (primary) outlet of the double sockets would be connected directly to your dedicated radial, the second (secondary) outlet of the double socket then connected (daisy chain) from the first. I was curious if you had your 500 in primary or secondary position…

In the U.K. both sockets connect to common bus bars.

1 Like

Hi Nigel. I hope to get onto this next week, having been disrupted by Covid, a different chest infection soon after and then - worst of all - getting the builders in to do a new kitchen, which involved a system shutdown and lots of dust sheets. But I haven’t forgotten…

Sorry for the delay!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your illness and disruption. I hope you have recovered and your house has returned to normality after the builders.

Please don’t apologise, our health is by far the most important thing.

4 Likes

Well here I am finally having faffed around with:

1. Router → PhoenixNet → Statement → PhoenixNet → ND555

2. Router → PhoenixNet → Statement → ND555

3. Router → Statement → ND555

and I can confirm the situation is as before, with the Statement’s “normal” power supply.

The second is a waste of time. If you have a PhoenixNet then connect everything to it and not the Statement direct to your Naim streamer.

Adding the PhoenixNet connected this way still extends and deepens the soundstage and bass, and increases texture and separation, while also giving more precise positioning of musicians and lowering the noise floor. It’s difficult to be sure at a distance of many months since the last time I did this comparison, but my impression is that the difference is very slightly smaller with the Next Gen power supply and other changes than it was before. However, it’s still very desirable.

In terms of bang for the buck, the PhoenixNet is obviously an awful lot cheaper and adds a “great walk through the door into a bigger more defined space” feel. The Statement adds a great deal of magic, much of it more subtle but also more seductive. If you mainly stream from Qobuz it would obviously be well worth comparing it with the new Pulsar, if not it could be that the Zenith + PhoenixNet is enough to float your boat. If you’re set on both Statement Next Gen and PhoenixNet but can’t get both at once, I think I personally would go for the Statement first, but it is of course much more expensive than the PhoenixNet.

hth

Mike

11 Likes

Am I right in thinking you’re saying number 1. was best (if you have a Statement and an ND555)? OR to put it another way Phoenix Net separately into Statement and also Phoenix Net separately into into ND555.

Hi, the two rooms I rated was the Vertere room with active ATC SCM 40’s and the Living Voice room.

2 Likes