Innuos Statement vs Melco N10

Did one compared the two super server as UPNP/NAS source only?
Found some posts here from 2019, but not a really a:b test.
Many thanks !

I’m happy with my Melco N10 act only as a server…but sorry never listened to Innuos Statement

I opted the other way from Meni and got a statement. Common to both is that they have limited capacity hard drives so, depending on the size of your music library, particularly with hi-res music, you may need to consider having a NAS in the loop - particularly to ensure back up should any of the drives fail. From a usability perspective it will be interesting to see exactly what the new operating system due for release by Innuos in the near future will provide. Could be a game changer. Also some positive comments on here recently about the new innuos phoenixnet ‘super switch’. Perhaps also look at the audiostore solution - refer to posts by Camphew (spell check!!) on here.

Peter

1 Like

Thx northpole,
My collection is now 3TB, Innuos offers the Statement with 8TB…should be enough for me:-) heard that Melco can be upgraded to higher capacities as well ( one member here ordered one, Bert? ). Checked the Innuos 2.0 GUI and firmware, looks super cool!
But I guess SQ,wise, the Statement is end-game, right?

1 Like

T38.45
I had not realised that innuos now offer an 8tb option. I would imagine unless you have an enormous collection that this would be more than enough for most folks. Mine is only 2tb and I have been surprised how many cds I have so far managed to rip to the hard drive with less than 20% space used.
Like all things digital, the statement will be replaced in due course by something much better - whether by innuos themselves, melco, or others. Perhaps that’s part of the logic for more people buying at zenith level - digital moves quite quickly and depreciation hits hard if you have ambitions to stay with the best!! I got a great deal on mine or I would have done the same.

Peter

That‘s the point…digital moves too fast! On the other hand, I learned that in a digital chain everything matters… just like analog/viny. If somebody told me 2 years ago that there’s a difference btw. switches or cables, I would have said he’s nuts…
I have a chance to get a Statement for a very compelling price with 4TB.

2 Likes

I suspect 4tb would be plenty for me - also suspect my 2tb will be tested when I get round to moving across hi-res albums! I suggest a back up drive will be essential, irrespective of capacity in case something goes wrong, as computers tend to!

A couple of other statement considerations. I found a significant improvement came from upgrading the power cable to naim’s powerline. The statement comes in two boxes which aren’t a great fit for fraim and I have located mine in a far from ideal location (tv stand!). I received mixed feedback on the connector cables for the statement’s boxes - some say the short cables suited for vertical stacking is best and others that better results can be obtained buy purchasing a chord cable set which permits the boxes to be placed either on separate vertical shelves or on adjacent fraim stacks in the traditional naim brawn and brains arrangement - I have reached no conclusion on this! And of course there will be the eternal question about which cables to use where from router all the way through the chain, general concensus being the last cable from statement to nd555 or similar being the most critical.

I really am still dancing around this digital stuff and moving at glacial pace - much more comfortable with vinyl and cd’s so please don’t rely too heavily on my comments here!

Peter

I can add a second Melco hard drive

1 Like

All my files are formatted to Wav and still have enough place,later on I can batch-convert everything to Flac… there is no difference between them in terms of sound

1 Like

Thanks for feedback!! The whole power and power cable decision is on my list as well… guess this will be an expensive task…my next stop is server, then power amp, then power cables.
My wife will kill me…

Hi Peter,
the longer Chord umbilicals for the Statement would seem to use better wires, each being shielded, and thus give a better SQ. So it’s not so much the lateral placing of the two boxes as the casing of 10mm-thick CNC-machined aluminium doesn’t let any RFI/EMI through.
And btw, it does go into a tall Fraim shelf; I have it that way.

Best
Stefano

Hi Stefano,
What‘s the rest of your system? Do you have a Statement as well?

Hi,
Innuos Statement → MSB Diamond DAC V → 552/500 → DBLs

So you‘re using USB?

from the Statement to the DAC, yes

1 Like

Stefano

I was aware that the statement fits on a tall shelf however, I have dithered with the maths of swapping shelves round in my two stacks - I have a tall shelf at the bottom of one stack with a couple of spare shelves above for isolation, total left shelf count is 7 incl base. Dithering compounded with logic that the two statement boxes ought to sit side by side and keep the power supply with the other naim power supplies in the right stack. Strangely, when I spoke with innuos uk the chap there suggested that the longer cable was not optimal and that it is designed to be vertically stacked. My dithering continues and I accept my set up is at best sub-optimal…!!

Peter

I’ve always thought that the Statement was meant to be stacked, as my DAC,
Indeed I have tried with several sheets of RFI/EMI shielding material (Stillpoints ERS and M3) between the two components but absolutely no difference in SQ.
I’ll be getting soon a pair of custom umbilicals; we’ll see how they turn out.

Stefano

Stefano

For context, I was more concerned about any potential impact of the power supply unit on the other components above or below the statement (I’m assuming one of the boxes predominantly contains the power supply transformer), whether it be the turntable phono stage, pre-amp or streamer. Most naim owners tend towards having a stack of brawn (power supplies) and brain (head units).

Peter

Statement and N10 have similar prices. The Melco can’t rip , but it has a dedicated direct Ethernet switch which works very very well with Naim.
Innuos too. However, from what I often see, Innuos users have generally external dacs which they connect in usb to the Innuos.
Melco are more generally used as audiophile Nas, in UPNP mode.
As you have already a streamer ( Rossini), I would more go with Melco personally.
If you had a Chord Dave, the Innuos would be more appropriate. The Melco is not great in usb connection.

2 Likes

I use an N10 with the Melco D100 CD drive as a ripper and find them to be a great pairing.
Originally I was using this in to a NDX then a DAC but found an uplift going straight to DAC via USB. The Melco into a Chord QBD76 HDSD via USB is very special from my experience.