Insane new pricing in Australia

I should add that I very much enjoy my music. I’m also approaching 58 and my wife survived cancer and I’ve had melanoma to boot. If I’m to ever to buy anything significant it needs to be whilst I’m still working and have the discretionary income. So, if it’s not in the next few years, it won’t be happening at all.

I’ve learnt two things in this game. Always enjoy the music first and be happy with what you have. And, if you do desire a very good system, you have to take the rare good opportunities when they arise. Off course, these two things can be contradictory.

7 Likes

You’re a young buck compared to me Mike

I agree , in your shoes I’d be going for it with an upgrade as I did around your age

Then hang onto it , as my dealer says it lasts forever :+1:

1 Like

@IDAK, @Django84, Paul Money Hi Fi have some clearance stock available with full warranty and will be Naim dealers when the new distributor is appointed. I’ve found them very good to deal with, so if you want to take advantage of the ATA clearance it might be worth contacting them.

That’s if one’s ever appointed. @Richard.Dane is there any news on what’s happening down under. Seems we’ve been left out in the wilderness.

1 Like

Well, maybe there’s a silver lining…I’ve been running a Linn selekt classic dsm with the new organik dac (single) and power supply (from our beloved ex-Australasia Naim distributor) straight into my 250 DR for the last few days and it’s superb. I didn’t know what to expect (and was wary) but I’d say it’s as good as my NDS/555, 282/HC. $16k, 4 less boxes, no servicing, and a 5 year warranty. Rocks just as well as the Naim.

5 Likes

Yes, certainly a great option, especially keeping your Naim amp to go with it.

1 Like

I’ve not heard anything new as yet. Certainly Naim and Focal will not wish to be without distribution of some kind for long, but I know from experience that these things sometimes take some time to resolve. Harry will probably know more than I here, so if you have any issues then I’m sure he can resolve for you with the factory.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear @Django84. That is the same path I have been thinking of heading down but wasn’t sure about the change in sound with Linn. It’s good to be able to continue to be supported from our local dealer.

1 Like

Unfortunately Harry is in the dark also Richard as are all dealers

But yes if anything goes amiss with gear , Harry does have contacts at Salisbury HQ

I’m not worried about warranty issues as like you I know Harry would resolve any issue. It’s the confidence you have when purchasing.

Take a dip!

1 Like

I’ve tried the Katalyst and Organik dac versions of Selekt into 250dr and both are excellent. They are a great option if things go tits up with naim in australasia.

10 Likes

The ex-Distributor is now dumping all excess gear at ridiculously low prices. Feel sorry for anyone that has paid the inflated prices over the last 12 months.

Naim credibility is now less than zero down under.

4 Likes

Ethically you’d think Naim might’ve bought the gear back off the distributor so this type of malarkey doesn’t happen. Do either the ex-distributor or Naim give a rats about customers, who just happen to keep them in business, at the end of the day? Doesn’t look like it to me.

1 Like

The logical approach would be for Naim and a new distributor to take the excess stock…….assuming there is a new distributor.

2 Likes

Yes - unfortunately there is no new distributor, and nothing obvious on the horizon.

1 Like

Rather good for the consumer though if you grab a great clearance deal, it’s not our fault they stuffed up.

3 Likes

Well, you would say that. Fair enough, but that’s not the point.

1 Like

Not really. They are selling with only 1 year warranty!

Just remember you can’t control what happens only how you react to what happens. And therefore, it’s not the end of the world. Remember, the following options still exist:

• If, even after all this, nothing gives you a thrill like Naim, then wait until you are buying a couple boxes, and order from the UK VAT free and with UK 5 year warranty. You’ll need at least a couple boxes though to break even on the customs duty and shipping.
  • If it has soured you on Naim, never fear, there are many more great brands that are available.

In other words, the music will keep playing one way or another. Speaking from experience of living somewhere that Naim exited many many years ago, I see this as a headache for Naim, not myself. I have options. With no distributor, Naim don’t. So who really comes off worse here?

4 Likes