Inspiring conservation projects

Water voles brought back to the Lake District Water voles brought back to the Lake District - BBC News

1 Like
4 Likes

And more news from Australia

1 Like

Whilst not a conservation project yet, it has been reported that the tree at Sycamore Gap has been felled overnight. If true this icon, albeit of an invasive species, will be a sad loss. It’s time for stronger conservation regulations and institutions to enforce them.

1 Like

Shocking…….and looking at the cut line……done by a pro.

1 Like

A 16 year old has been charged with criminal damage

“looking at Mother Nature on the run in the Twenty Twenties”

1 Like

I get either angry or upset .

1 Like

My arborist friends think it will spout saplings, similar to a coppice, then two strong side shoots could be kept. A knowledgeable chap on the radio thought it wouldn’t, so wait and see.

We have a 60ft sycamore in the garden and I have to frequently cut back saplings growing from the base. I also spend hours pulling sycamore seedlings from the garden, house gutters, barn roof, slow moving sheep, etc.

There is every likelyhood that over time the gap will have a new tree. Sadly, not in my lifetime though.

1 Like

My guess is that it won’t. As far as I can tell the tree didn’t have a tendency to put out suckers, so it’s unlikely to start now. It might have had a stronger tendency to do so if it was felled in the spring when the sap was rising, but in the autumn it will be doing the opposite. I’d like to be proved wrong, but better to plant a new one, I would think.

2 Likes

Pru Leith will be pleased

3 Likes

Or perhaps uninspiring

1 Like

and someone did

Well yes, or at least they tried. I guess there was no way the authorities involved were going to accept a random tree, apparently bought from a garden centre but of unknown progeny and with the potential to carry disease.

2 Likes

Two inspiring presentations today at FarmED near Burford.
Restore - Ben Macdonald.

Somewhere a shark is killed every 3 seconds it’s good to hear some are trying to do something to help them.

3 Likes

Been following the Kakapo recovery program in NZ for many years. Fabulous bird being gradually brought back from the very brink of extinction.
A visit is certainly one of my bucket list aims….

4 Likes

Not sure if a 1.5 foot rat will be on top of everybody’s list of endangered mammals , but it shows that even in today’s world there are species to be discovered

1 Like

Or re-discovered . The DeWinton’s mole, last spotted in 1937

3 Likes

2 Likes