Integrated amp for ND555dr

It may be a good idea for Naim to come up with a one-box solution to replace the 552/300?

I have the ATC 40a actives and they are amazing. They are not that bigā€¦check the ATC site for dimensions. They are much smaller than the 50 and 100 actives.

However, if you have a large enough room certainly consider the 50 and 100ā€¦they both use the SL ( super linear ) bass drivers which better than the bass drivers used in the 40a.

Great write-up on the integrated Vitus amps on Lotus HiFiā€™s web page. Owner, R. Morris, has a lot of experience with Naim and would be a great source to reach out to for specific questions/recommendations. I would start there first- he is happy to share his opinions :sunglasses:

Ayre AX-5 Twenty, Burmester 032 or Moon EVolution 700i v2 might be something to listen to

I would be the first buyer!

1 Like

Thanks - yes saw his write-up. Very helpful

Hi MagicBus. Many thanks. If I liked the SCM50actives, i would still need my ND555 (stays) and a preamp (so my 552) right? So would only take the poweramp out - or, as ND555 is my only source, could I run that straight into the ATC actives? Br Lars

Hej Lars. Just checked the Vitus 025 and it is actually fairly compact - looks lovely too so sure that should please wifey :thinking:. I think itā€™s a great idea to buy gear, which is made in DK, should something go wrong with it. Will be very interesting to hear, what you make of the Vitus amp! Good luck with it Peter

Yes Lars.

I did not audition the SIA 025. Coming from a 552/500 I was interested in the extra grunt that the SIA 030 hasā€¦I agree with Richardā€™s description in his blog. I would give the 030 a listen if Hans is willing to leave it with you for a demo. Best of luck :grinning:

Naim doesnā€™t recommend running their streamers directly into a power amp or active speakers. People on the forum have tried it but most report it sounds much better with a preamp in the chain.
So, if possible, try to keep your NAC 552. Itā€™s a phenomenal preamp.

If 4 boxes is still too much you could consider a 1 box preamp ideally with an XLR output. Some options might be Ayre, Townshend Allegri Reference, ATC SCA2 preamp.

A very compact preamp which was recently reviewed in Stereophile is the Benchmark L4 preamp. It had phenomenal measurements on the test bench during the review. Itā€™s very reasonably priced ( around $2400 USD ) and they offer a home trial period ( at least here in the USA). I havenā€™t heard it but the review was very positive. Still, if you can keep the 552 preamp, that would be far and away the best option.

1 Like

Lars said he would keep nd555 and 552.

Got it magicbus, many thanks. As would need to go to 3 boxes (I think) to deliver on the homefront, its seems like the right next step is the integrated amp from vitus. Then will see, but great suggestion.

Who knows where this will end - retaining the naim magic will surely be core to it, I am certain of that!

Thx Lars

Good luck with the Vitus gear.

Even the Vitus 025 is still quite large and heavy so even though itā€™s 1 box itā€™s a fairly large box.
Really try to keep the 552 if you can.

If you can, try to hear the ATC active speakers before making a decision. They are quite special.

If you want it to be part of your furniture, the room, I guess look is as important as it sounds.

Thanks Peder, surely useful information. :blush:

1 Like

Hi Lars,

If changing speakers is an option you might want to have a look at Grimm speakers. They except digital input so you need no pre at all! So that leaves room for a second 555ps :wink:
I have not heard them myself but some friends raved about them after hearing them at a hifi show a few years back. The design is a bit special, possibly one could claim them to be inspired by the Danish designā€¦

Many thanks all for the ideas!

I want to keep the naim magic for sure, I am not looking for something different, but smaller. Still of course open to see/hear new things as long as I keep what I really like w naim.

so I will initially focus on demo of vitus as an integrated amp, potentially also gryphon/aavik. Will get it for 1-2 weeks next week, so really curious how it sounds and how compares to my amazing 552/300.

ART speakers sound great and work very well in my room, so they are keepers. also expect to demo w naca5 and SL DIN to not change other elements than the amp part.

Br Lars

1 Like

Or other acrive speakers like ATC and PMC

In the end its your own journey, some great ideas that i would nit thought ifā€¦take time and enjoy the journey.