Integrated amp for ND555dr

not sure if anyone using the musical fidelity nu-vista integrated - looks interesting

Sell it all and get a DCS Bartok and run active speakers, one box and aload off dosh in the bank, or spend a bit more and get the DCS rossini and clock once again with active speakers. Both will sound fantastic, the rossini also looks fantastic

Hans Ole is a genuine enthusiastic so great that you have his full support. Itā€™s just a matter of whether you like the Vitus sound.

Re Shahinian, try contacting John Burns of Pear Audio, their distributors in the UK, if you donā€™t get an immediate reply from Vasken Shahinian in the States.

Hi Lars - i seem to remember you have a very elegant room and the Art speakers in a white finish. If youā€™re looking to get rid of boxes (and something that will not only sound fantastic but look great too) then you should have a listen to the Kii Audio 3 speakers. Fully active, just add the Kii Controller and appropriate sources. If you need more bass then there are the BXT bass modules for these. I demoā€™d these and the Dutch and Dutch 8C at the end of last year. Very nice indeed and certainly worth consideration.

James

1 Like

Indeed. @LarsDK Active speakers could of course be another very effective way of bringing down the box count. ATC could be worth a look on this score.

Iā€™ve not read the whole thread so donā€™t know if anyone has yet suggested the Rega Osiris integrated amp.

Iā€™ve heard one with the Isis CDP and Regaā€™s R10 speakers at a Rega night at my old dealers (sadly long since packed up :weary:) and it sounded superb. :sunglasses: Canā€™t say how well it would pair with your ND555DR but thought it was worth a mention and a bit of a bargain used if you can find one.

Cheers, Rack.

How highly rated is the Sudgen A4 on this forum? A friend of mine has got one, in a large room, with JMR speakers. I find the system excellent - is the A4 not expensive enough perhaps compared to some of the amps mentioned above?

Many thanks James - yes I also like to think that my speakers look really elegant (on top of the great music). Good idea - will look at them, active would fully change things. Often they seem quite big, but this pair is clearly different to that. Br Lars

As T38.45 mentioned, the Nagra Classic INT would be on my shortlist, elegant and understated Swiss design, 100W

3 Likes

Very good idea. I missed that one.

Integrated amplifiers with that sort of height might ā€œcountā€ as two boxes in discussions between @LarsDK and his wife ā€“ in the opening post Lars wrote ā€œ3 boxes on top of eachother in a neat piece of furnitureā€. Are these ā€œmonsterā€ amplifiers really suitable for a ā€œcupboardā€ storageā€¦ Personally, I thought suggestions going down the active speaker route made most sense from a domestic peace point of viewā€¦

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@LarsDK,ā€¦Erik Andersson knows everyone in the tube-amplification world ,.that is worth knowing.
So the equipment you mention above,.I have listened to at Erikā€™s house.

ā€¢ You also wroteā€¦ā€œand their speakers based on Peter Snellā€™s designsā€.
These I have through Erikā€™s help,.had at my home for testing.

The ā€œsmallā€ tubes,.can generally be said last at least 10,000 hours.
But this can vary a little from construction to construction.
The ā€œlargerā€ tubes can vary a bit in durability depending on which tube it isā€¦
ā€¢ EL 34.
ā€¢ KT 90.
ā€¢ 845.
ā€¢ 300B.
ā€¢ GM 70.
Etc,etcā€¦

But generally between 1800 to 6000 hours.
Erik measured a couple of 300B-tubes that had gone 5,000 hours.
They had 90% left of their capacity,longevity.
But this can also vary a bit from tube-brand to tube-brand.
And regarding possible heat,.I have not experienced any such problems.
In the worst case,.one must well reduce the other heating of the room.

But in general,.you might not have to have on a tube-amp 24/7 in week after week.
It is absolutely no problem,.I am thinking mostly of the fact that the cost of changing tubes more often,will be a little higher.
But if you donā€™t have to think about that,.so is ā€œThe Dreamā€ an incredibly interesting option.

imgp4347 (2)
ā€¢ From left:
-Leif Olofsson,.owner of Marten.
-Erik Andersson the Master himself.
-Ola Hesselwall,.owner Hesselwall Audio.

Stay safeā€¦
/PederšŸ™‚

1 Like

Musical Fidelity NuVista 600 or 800, depending on the needs of the speakers and the room. A hybrid integrated amplifier (pre-valves and solid-state power stage) marvel, dual monophonic, at the Mark Levinson, Gamut, Accuphase, Pass Labs or Dartzeel level, but at a much more reasonable price. The only drawback is that it is a real monster not only in terms of its sound but also physically (40 kgs.).

+1

best
Gregg

Thatā€™s the designer of my loudspeakers. Nice.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@ryder,ā€¦You may be aware of this,.but Leifā€™s brother Jƶrgen Olofsson is also the owner of Marten,and works there together with Leif.

And when unfortunately Jorma died of cancer,.so bought Leif and Jƶrgen Jorma Design.
Jorma Design and Marten have had a very long collaboration,.Jorma Designā€™s cables sit internally in all Martens speaker models.

The person who is responsible for Jorma Design now,.under Martens direction is Bernt.
A very competent and well-known gentleman in hifi-Sweden
He is a multi-level designer,.including speaker and tube-amp design.
Bernt also worked with,.and was employed by Jorma,before Jorma passed away in cancer.

Ryder,.Just some useless information that can be fun to know,.then you have Martens speakers.

/PederšŸ™‚

2 Likes

Strictly personally speaking, I would be delighted to upgrade my Ndac to a ND555/555PS. Put the AV stuff aside for that extra shelf and really hear what my little Karan is capable of.

Seems discontinued, on their site. ?

Indeed! I am keen to retain the naim sound, but i guess it could be done w active speakers.

What are the top options to consider? ATC 50s are the ones I read most about on this forum, but they huge/very deepā€¦ ideas highly welcome

Br Lars

Varyat - vitus has offered to bring both the 025 and 030. I am leaning on ā€œjustā€ trying the 025 to hopefully experience the vitus housesound for a week. Also, as you said, the 030 is a BIG beastā€¦

Did you listen to both and would you think the 025 is ā€œsame levelā€ as 552/300 despite the lower total price?

Br Lars