Interconnect Thoughts?

I have some old Chord Company Cobra 2 in my system. Btw my pre and streamer using rca’s and a DIN connector. I was wondering if it would be an upgrade to get the Chord company C line, Clearaway or Shawline cable. Not sure what one compares to the Cobra 2 or would be considered an upgrade.

Any thoughts on the difference and if it may be a decent change?? Just with the passing of time and possible improvements. I figure things change.

Thanks

More than likely a sideways move i’d say…

1 Like

Yeah. I was a bit of the same thought process. Was hoping to maybe see a benefit from going to a newer cable. I was looking to add some cables to my phone stage to the pre thought may as well get the same vintage. Why I was looking at the newer Chord company offerings. Now not so sure. Thanks for your input.

I don’t know the Cobra, but according to my ears, Shawline is much better than Clearway.

1 Like

I have the old chorus which is a great cable however, purchase three pairs of Shawline back end of last year. Absolute rubbish to be honest, I was very disappointment even after an long ‘burn in’ period.
Will endeavor to sell them. Have purchased replacements from Sonik Cables. Delighted with those.

I have Shawline in my little Nait50-based system, and I’m very pleased with it.

The Cobra is a very decent cable. If you are looking for a brighter presentation, Shawline would help but in my experience it can be a bit thinner and harsher (depending on setup so not always)

The C line is quite neutral but not really an upgrade in my view.

Not heard the Clearway.

I used a Cobra 3 DIN between my NDX and NAC 202 for many years. It’s sounded better to me than a Chord Anthem that I tried and sold immediately.

I now use a Shawline DIN and I think Shawline is a minimum you would need to better it from the current Chord line-up but really given the cost to change I wouldn’t be in a rush to change?

Don’t think they are as good as yesteryear.
A reputable dealer has stopped selling them, perhaps he agrees with me.

I am sorry the late reply.

Just a bit stunned that Chord has not made some dramatic advancements over the years. Reading the comments Shawline maybe a solution. However it is difficult to source for me in Canada. Most dealers only carry the Clearway cabling. I may need to think about ordering some Shawline to see if it will improve upon what I have. Or I may just try to source some more of the Cobra cable from the big auction site.

I have a Chord Shawline cable between an Ortofon ST-7 step-up transformer and Nait50. I recommend it warmly.

There is nothing wrong with the lavender Naim interconnect DIN>RCA & RCA>DIN versions.

That would be my first move instead of the entry-level Chord cables past & present like the Chrysalis, Cobra, Crimson, C-Line, Clearway. In all these cases I found the Naim interconnect just as good and usually better suited.

However, as of the Shawline level one is considered to be upgrading on that level, yet also at a higher price of course, it might be well worth the experiment. Hope this helps!

@striker27
Just noticed your Original Post and thought this might be an interesting read for you.

Hope that’s a useful resource for you.
Try the combinations yourself and collect your own thoughts.

Happy listening
R

1 Like

It looks like I will invest in some Shawline and see where it goes at least to try something out. I am very happy with my system and have been for years. I would just like to upgrade a few things.

1 Like