Interesting TV

It was actually called “Robodebt”. The reality is though, at least in Australia the Government admitted the issue and withdrew the system. In the UK the Post office and Fujitsu have denied, covered up and continued to prosecute postmasters long after the issue was known about.

2 Likes

Yeah whatever you get my point, it’s bureaucracy gone mad.

Better late than never.

2 Likes

Something I hadn’t realised until this week was that PO stopped prosecutions in 2015 (not sure if that’s the exact year) when their computer expert (who was I think a Fujitsu employee) was shown to be talking cobblers. But the PO kept sacking sub postmasters for the deficits that the system kept showing up

2 Likes

One of the many shocking things is the deaths surrounding the Post Office scandal and the extended delayings in paying out.

The aim seems to be delay so people die before the paymout is made.

How about quadrupling (or more) the payout if that happens as all they are interested in is money, maybe hurting the organisation more might help them sort it out. As was said on the news this morning, they need a fire under them to get claims settled.

4 Likes

Quadruple?

“ Post Office victims’ compensation pot cut by half”

1 Like

Prince Harry has changed a bit since I last saw a photo of him.

DG…

She was a C of E Minister… :neutral_face:

She has resigned from or been pushed out of pretty much every role she has, after leaving the PO.

I suggest that she should now check with her God, if she should hand back her CBE…?

Or does she have no shame…?

Probably not. People at her sort of level in large UK companies seem to be taught to behave as she did - and maybe still does. Never admit anything, defend the company, never apologise properly. Their arrogance goes to 11.

Back to the TV programme. Very good - as is the associated documentary (also on ITV).

But… why has it taken a TV series to get this back in the news headlines… :thinking: :neutral_face:

3 Likes

A new compensation scheme was launched in October 2023. Confidential to people involved in claims.

A big problem is that people don’t have documentary evidence available going back far enough to when they were trading

On the plus side, the government has at least made compensation non-taxable so that in general the net recoveries should be increased

Yes, back to TV.

Watched series 3 of Slow Horses over 3 nights.

Enjoyed it so much have started to watch again from Series 1…something we have never done with a programme for decades.

5 Likes

Did Derek Jameson and Anne Robinson have a secret lovechild?

We should be told.

G

6 Likes

I ask members to please respect and abide by forum rules and avoid making any political comment regarding the PO scandal. Thanks.

That is very funny :rofl:

1 Like

Our eldest son watched season 1-3 in just over a week, he’s quite fussy but loved it. Season 4 has already been shot and hopefully will be ready mid year. Think Slow Horses is probably the best thing I’ve seen for a while.

3 Likes

Watched all 3 episodes of James May: Our Man in India last night, very enjoyable. He’s definitely the most interesting out of the 3 musketeers.

Mrs Pete is not a fan of Mr Clarkson.

4 Likes

Last night I finished the very last episode of Ted Lasso. Cheesier than a fondue? Absolutely!
But I loved it for its warmth, humanity and lack of cynicism- not common these days. Loved the characters and was quite damp eyed knowing that’s it. The fact that the AFC Richmond scenes were actually shot at our very own Selhurst Park was the icing on the cake

3 Likes

Agreed, definitely cheesy but it just made you feel good. Should be more shows like it imo.

1 Like

I’ve spent weeks trying to get through Season 1 of Discovery.

After Episode 1 I thought it started to get more interesting than I recall when I originally abandoned it, but I have completely failed to get through the last few episodes of season 1 - it reminds me of modern Dr Who around Matt Smith’s time, just incredibly convoluted bizarre plots which are difficult to follow and trying too hard to be clever. Maybe just me watching late at night and perhaps I should jump forward.

Strange New Worlds just had a more relaxed enjoyable presentation, on reflection Discovery just seems devoid of humour and charm but is presented with a grander scale.

True Love on Channel 4. Great cast led by Lindsay Duncan. If like us you’re in your late 60s it’s a bit close to home but worth watching - comedy (?) drama with jeapordy and real moral quandary. A failed terminally Ill suicide is on hospital and complains that he is both on suicide watch and Do Not Resuscitate - if you don’t find that amusing perhaps not for you.

2 Likes

I can definitely see the irony in that.

2 Likes