Interesting TV

I agree with the bad scripts, but also Jodie was too one dimensional for me, no depth.

A sprawling cast, with pandering storyline support, doesn’t help the cause IMV, as Dr. Who (even with Rose) was still Dr.-centric, whereas the storylines in general of late have been a mess, not helped by making these and scenes ‘bigger’ through CGI. For those of us of a certain age, it seems to be another version of Runaround with the late Mike Reid at times.

I think Jodie was kippered from Day 1. IMV, they need someone like David Tennant or Tom Baker to restore the gravitas of the character.

3 Likes

The script problems were there with Capaldi and Baker - both their outings were confused messes

There are rumours of Tennant coming back , Kris Marshall was a front runner for a long time - and would certainly do a more than competent job.

Devils on SKY – originally aired in 2020 (I think) and now being re-run.

Gave up after 3 episodes although it appears to have garnered reasonable reviews. Too much (often mumbling) style over substance for me…and no actor like Brian Cox to save the day.

Starting on BBC2 at 9 tonight - the second series of Ridley Scott’s ‘The Terror’. This time set in a POW camp during WW2. First series was just brilliant so can’t wait for this

4 Likes

Bosch legacy on prime :+1:

1 Like

A PLEA: DON’T POST SPOILERS WITHOUT A WARNING!!!

Some of us don’t binge on favourite shows, preferring to take some weeks with, for example, the last season of Ozark. I stumbled into one such discussion recently and have had my enjoyment marred.

Before you post, please add a giant warning for the likes of me. Think once, think twice, think techno-dolts.

Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry will do in future thankfully I don’t think I gave too much away.

1 Like

I wish the newspaper TV reviewers did the same: I was well into a series only for the reviewer to nicely summarise exactly how things played out rather than just review the programme…no point watching after that …

1 Like

Picard, S2 not so….Now looking forward to Star Trek, Strange New Worlds. If only I can get The Paramount App on my Samsung?

1 Like

Get an Amazon Fire TV stick, that knocks the smart features of any TV in to the long grass

Thanks for the tip. :+1:t3:

I’ll wait and buy it on Blu-Ray , it has the Borg Queen …

Certainly the last series could have done with the Borg . Though I have to say the last two episodes of Voyager are of my favourites (and usually get an outing, once or twice a year)

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed Grace and Frankie and glad they chose to end it before it lost it’s appeal. Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are national treasures.

1 Like

Have been watching re-runs (from c.1979) of BBC wartime drama Secret Army on Talking Pictures TV. Now at 33/of 42 core episodes.

The writing is good, the surroundings, props and lighting perhaps not so (much would be considered over-lit nowadays I suspect) but the latter aspects all pale against the focus on the characters and the quality of the acting, where constant close-ups often generate tension and allow the actors to display their craft.

2 Likes

Big fan of Derry Girls but what has gone wrong with S3?

Strange production at times, with many of the regulars either not appearing much and/or not together at least, I assume Covid related, plus repeatedly odd, rapid switch editing in the dialogue, it makes it pretty hard to follow at times now. Or is it just me?

…then you are in for a Borg Queen treat! Hush, hush, say no more.

1 Like

It’s got Q (oh dear) - when it is released on Blu Ray I will binge watch

Looking forward to it

Agree Jamie. It’s not really hitting the spot here either.

It has its moments though…‘It’s al dente’ in relation to the undercooked chicken did make me laugh out loud.

G

1 Like

Just got the heads up on season 4 of Westworld which kicks off on the 26 June on HBO Max, hopefully it will be on Sky Atlantic at some point

2 Likes