Interesting TV

Just finished the end of ‘Life after life’ on BBC/iPlayer. Based on the book by Kate Atkinson about a young woman who keeps on dying and returning to life. Wonderful, humane and deeply moving - I can’t recommend this highly enough

5 Likes

:+1: excellent series

1 Like

Anyone watching Beck needs this action figure in their life…

G

4 Likes

Thank you, will try this series.

1 Like

Mastercef spoiler…

Pookie was in a league of her own with every single dish throughout the series. She definitely deserved to win. A biryani is not good enough to win, but it does seem the norm with Masterchef to award the wrong people or let the wrong one go out.

I wondered if she wasn’t marked down for the ‘bling’ - gold leaf on a fillet steak…

I too have doubts about the marking, but thought the other two might have been more able to pursue careers in catering - and that also seems to be part of the criteria .

About six years ago, I was lucky enough to have a meal cooked for me by a Master Professionals _Finalist . Three years later , I am "managing " the candidates at a hustings to select a candidate to stand for MP (so there is no contact with the voters, prior to Q&A session) .

The subjects we were talking about was of course -anything but politics , and ended up with food.

I mentioned this , and one candidate said his daughter had been on Masterchef "How did she do? " said I “She won” came the proud reply "What an episode ? " Said I “No, the series” came the very proud reply.

She is the doctor , who won in around 2018.

Charming guy, he got my vote

1 Like

We have an acquaintance (former husband of my wife’s friend) who went on Masterchef and made a total d1ck of himself.

Out on the first show.

G

3 Likes

I saw the gold leaf on the fillet steak as a way of keeping in the moisture, so I thought it was great and I do like a bit of theatre with fine dining sometimes. She was brilliant.

Just as a reminder, Later with Jools Holland is back on the BBC this evening. Other than this forum, this TV programme has introduced me to more new music/musicians than anything else.

2 Likes

Don’t forget it’s also Eurovision Song Contest tonight. :wink:

I think it’s Eurovision second place contest this year🙂

1 Like

Because UK dead cert to win?

Hah! Unlikely. Though apparently he has 12M TikTok viewers, so they figure that’s going to get him some points.

I can imagine Ukraine is going to get more twelve points than any other entrant in history…

If we can be in top 5 that would be a result!

thanks for the reminder, something is going to have to get recorded: so much quality music :joy:

…and Later is followed by This is Spinal Tap…

1 Like

Best comedy film ever made IMO

3 Likes

On a tangent, the Eurovision movie from a couple of years back is worth a look.

Despite Will Ferrell (who is not one of my favourites) it manages to be entertaining and charming, with a couple of more then decent songs in it too.

4 Likes

Enjoyed Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix. Slick production with lots of suspense

1 Like

Before lockdown my wife became ill, our shared pleasure became the Danish TV series Badehotellet/ Seaside Hotel. We watched the early series on Walter Presents, but have bought DVDs to follow later events. The setting is a seaside hotel in Jutland. There is a varied tone, romance, comedy, farce, adventure, mystery and intrigue. It runs from 1928 to 1946 covering the German occupation and the immediate postwar period. The guests are wealthy, but the maids who cook, clean and serve the food are of equal importance to the story. One of the regular guests is an actor Edward Weyse who plays the piano and sings, so we get ragtime, jazz and popular songs of the period. We are currently watching series 9 and the final series will be released in 2024. We found this entirely absorbing. To my mind the Danes probe their past more searchingly than the British in Downton Abbey here though the seaside setting contributes to a warm atmosphere.

3 Likes