Interesting TV

Watched a legacy episode of Fifth Gear on turbo (Discovery?) channel, with the late Sabine and Tiff driving a Caterham, Ariel Atom and Morgan 3-wheeler around a moist Cadwell Park.

The Morgan was simply dangerous when pushed at speed, being highly unstable and unpredictable, even for these folk. How the Top Gear team let Freddie in one of these remains an unanswered question. As Sabine said, it’s a toy car.

2 Likes

I used to say that Nicola Walker had never been in a duff series. And then I caught first episode of ‘Annika’ last night - jeez, what a load of cr*p

1 Like

Taste is a funny thing. I found the writing witty, enjoyed the chemistry between Nicola Walker and Jamie Sives, and loved the Clydeside setting.

3 Likes

I liked it all except the aside to camera. Totally off-putting and unnecessary.

2 Likes

Indeed - each to their own. I just found the whole ‘fish out of water’ trope v cliched and the idea that in our country where many public services are on their knees, the idea of a dedicated ‘Marine Murder Unit’ just silly. And don’t get me started on the ridiculous ‘breaking down the fourth wall’ camera asides which just spoilt any dramatic tension (IMO). Anyway - glad that at least one of us enjoyed it!

3 Likes

I’m not convinced either way yet, though I’m siding on the ‘Nah!’ Opinion at the moment.

It kind of reminded me of an episode of Bergerac, non run of the mill regional law enforcement unit, serious foul play but light hearted shenanigans, pretty scenery and the whole complex case tied up inside 50 minutes.

Succession - S4 ep 9/10. Lordy, that was a slog :sleeping:

I’m looking forward to its end this season has felt like a slow death for all of us.

1 Like

I’m with you on that one too. Initially I did find the camera-asides a bit weird, but got used to it relatively quickly. Nicola Walker is my favourite TV actress (or “actor” in the modern parlance); she is so believable in every character she portrays. I wonder if she will be tempted to play a “baddie” in due course.

3 Likes

I had listened to the Radio 4 Extra series before watching it the first time round, so was familiar with the character.

Both Mrs P and I enjoyed them and I was disappointed this wasn’t a new series.

steve

Not me, Pete. I’ve loved the way this season has skewered all the Roys and associated parasites. There isn’t one likable character in the show; they all make my flesh crawl. Booing and hissing them all (and, by extension, the Murdochs and others) is good for my soul.

4 Likes

I can’t disagree with that, I’d save a stray cat from a burning building before I’d even consider saving any one of them. I just hope it doesn’t end successfully for any of them. As for the likes of Murdoch I couldn’t dislike them anymore than I already do.

2 Likes

Here’s one for the lovers of dystopian Sci Fi, Silo based on the Wool series of novels by Hugh Howey and staring Rebecca Ferguson (no bad thing) thousands of people living underground in yes you’ve guessed it a very deep silo protecting them from the now toxic world on the surface.
Watched the first three episodes back to back so already loving it, season 2 already in production so Apple might be on to a winner here.

2 Likes

Anyone see last week’s Inside No.9 “3 by 3”?

Good one :wink:

4 Likes

We’ve just started watching this, excellent so far!

1 Like

Typical.

Another good series not renewed by Netflix! Happens far too often when you’ve invested a lot of time following a show.

This was genuinely good to watch together as a family.

1 Like

Proof, if proof were needed, there remains treasure to delight and indeed wet the eye a little from the BBC.

Marvellous.

1 Like

We’re rewatching a random selection with our 19yo who is home from uni. They are new to her and she’s loving them.

So far, in order; A Quiet Night In, Diddle Diddle Dumpling, The Twelve Days of Christine, The Bill.

Where next?

G

Oooh, a wide choice.

But among my faves:

La Couchette
Cold Comfort
Sardines
Riddle of the Sphinx
Bernie Clifton’s dressing room
Wuthering Heist

1 Like

Thanks Jamie.