Interesting TV

Watched the first episode last night…really enjoyed it.

Watching another one tonight… :tv:

1 Like

Toyah is currently on SKY portrait artist of the year. Given she’s 65, I can only assume she keeps her own portrait in an attic somewhere…I mean, blimey.

3 Likes

Someone - I forget who - dismissed as having a lisp, and not attractive. True, she had a lisp, but she was, and still is, very attractive.

We’ve found some interesting series under the Walter Presents banner. International thrillers/murder mysteries with subtitles mostly.

Currently watching one called ‘Hide And Seek’ that seems to be Russian. If you like bleak, this makes Scandi Noir look like Midsomer Murders…

steve

3 Likes

A superb one off special of ‘There She Goes’ was aired on the beeb last night. A comedy with David Tennant and Jessica Hynes as parents of a 13 yr old girl with chromosome abnormality and SLD. Funny and heartbreaking in equal measures

I’ve watched Arctic Circle and Astrid in Paris under the Walter Presents banner on channel 4 on demand. Enjoyed both

1 Like

Another vote for Astrid.

2 Likes

Astrid fans here too.

We have a 10yo autistic granddaughter, which gives us another dimension to the programme.

steve

2 Likes

Another Astrid fan here, superb.
The Wagner Method is another along with The Crimson Rivers, all on All4.

1 Like

Just watching Glastonbury…thought I was watching The Smiths…it was Rick Astley…go figure…

1 Like

Final day of the 2nd Ashes Test, Day 2 TdF, Austrian Grand Prix. Glad it’s turned chilly outside.

2 Likes

Mr Hulot’s Holiday - Talking Pictures this Sunday at 7pm.

Directed by the genius Jacques Tati.

You might think, that doesn’t appear to be very exciting. You’d be right, it isn’t very exiting. It’s a slow paced subtle visual artistic masterpiece. As are all his films. :heart_eyes_cat:

8 Likes

Wham! documentary on Netflix

You don’t have to be a fan to enjoy this exuberant tale – but if you’re not, why not? Perfect, shiny, happy pop music. What an extraordinary four-year adventure it was, from the bedrooms of Bushey Heath to the enormodomes of the world. It’s also the story of an enduring friendship, and of George Michael’s otherworldly talent and and ambition.

All together now: Wake me up before you go-go…

3 Likes

Just watched the first episode of I’m A Virgo on Prime. Looking forward to the next.

Don’t want to give any spoilers, but it’s a quirky comedy about a 13ft person.

It must be funny because my wife laughed out loud, something she normally reserves for when I’m trying hats on.

3 Likes

Saw Ep. 1 of Colin from Accounts a few weeks back, started watching the rest through headphones on the plane today. Had to stop though because it was so funny I couldn’t keep the laughs in and I was worried people would think I was unwell.

9 Likes

Love them all. He was a wonderfully observant critic of the bourgeoisie.

G

2 Likes

I’m surprised at that given your profession. :grin:

Mon Oncle and Playtime seem to be having a dig at modern architecture and modernism.

As you say, they are all excellent. I have the 5 dvd collection box set and trafic. It’s time to give them another viewing. :blush:

I’ve seen all the episodes twice and still watched on the way over to the UK a few weeks, it still makes me laugh. Close to the best comedy on tv this year imo.

2 Likes

I was taken to see M. Hulot when I was a kid and I now insist my students watch at least Mon Onclé and Playtime. It’s always enjoyable to hear their reaction. Particularly from those raised on a diet of Marvel pap.

There’s an interesting article somewhere on line about the building of the set for Playtime.

Enjoy the set.

G

1 Like

Just started watching The Sixth Commandment on the Beeb last night. True story of an utterly charming psychopath who destroyed the lives of 2 people. I’m last night’s episode one of those people was a teacher played by Timothy Spall - I think it is the best thing he has ever done. Brilliant and utterly horrifying

4 Likes