Interesting TV

There’s a lot more than you expect on Disney+.

Shame they’ve hiked the prices by akmost 30% this year.

All these subscriptions are getting quite costly.

Disney+/Paramount/Netflix/Prime (now with advertisements unless you pay not to) as part of Prime membership/Crunchyroll/Apple Music/Qobuz…

BritBox is shutting down having been assimilated a while back by ITV X - a shame as I hate the ITV X app on AppleTV so a separate BritBox one was just the ticket. Even if you pay for ITV X almost everything seems to have advertisements.

1 Like

Talking of Disney+ I watched Shogun a few nights ago, thanks to @Jamiewednesday for the heads up, not sure so far but early days.

What really tickled me was that after Shogun I watched one of my all time favourite Westerns - Tombstone with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer.

So many movies/TV shows now come with trigger warnings at the start.

Tombstone is full of gun violence, an implied rape scene early on, lots of booze, laudanum addiction and an opium den.

Not that I want them but the ‘trigger warning’ was something along the lines of ‘Has discussions about tobacco’ - crazy, and completely misses more hazardous pursuits.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about this new Shōgun yet.

A very lavish production, but I’m not immediately taking to Cosmo Jarvis’s portrayal of Blackthorne having watched the earlier series with Richard Chamberlain as a lad. I think from the 2 episodes so far though that it goes into a lot more detail of the political intrigues at play.

I see what you mean about odd camera effects, some almost as though they have drones sweeping overhead. The Osaka views did seem exaggerated but I have no idea if this is historically correct or not in terms of scale.

I suspect the Anjin’s character will mellow as he adopts elements of the culture.

I’ve always intended to read the books, another item on the unfulfilled wishlist!

It also reminds me I have the DVD boxset of the earlier version somewhere! Time to revisit.

2 Likes

We’re on Shogun too. Early days but captivating thus far.

I vaguely remember the Richard Chamberlain ‘original’, but not in sufficient detail to compare.

G

3 Likes

My wife has been watching ‘under the banner of heaven’ on Disney and ‘who is Erin Carter’ on Netflix. I’ve got sucked in and both are very good.

1 Like

Have a look at Only Murders in the Building. (Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez)

6 Likes

We tried that and gave up. Couldn’t take to it and I found the Short character intensely irritating.

steve

1 Like

Watched the first 2 episodes. Very good. Looking forward to today’s instalment!

1 Like

Mary and George.

Promising!

1 Like

Death and Other Details Disney+

Enjoyed the first two episodes of this intriguing whodunit series (no spoilers please). Apart from the solid cast and twisty plot, the cinematography and visual effects are well above average.

3 Likes

I’ll weigh in with specifics later, but I’ve been very intrigued by the content on Apple + of late. They seem very committed to producing great content and damn the expense apparently.

2 Likes

Just watched first two episodes of Guy Ritchie’s The Gentlemen on Netflix. Loving it.

3 Likes

I’m enjoying Shogun on Disney+, currently only 3 episodes are out and a new one every Tuesday.

3 Likes

Latest “Shogun” contains arguably the most hilarious insult to another person ever committed to dialogue

I couldn’t possibly repeat it here, but it comes near the end of the scene where Omi-sama demands the hand over of Anjin-sama’s pistols

“Tell this …”. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was very good. Great (and very rude) script. Beautiful production and it looks like Julianne Moore is having a blast

1 Like

Yep, she’s very good in it.

Course, I’ve read up on the history now so rather spoiled it for myself. Still, good fun to come I think!

1 Like

And Nicola Walker was pretty good too!

Fool Me Once on Netflix, complicated, overuse of mobiles to move the plot along. But watchable and Joanna Lumley is good as a sour faced matriarch.

1 Like

All the light we cannot see, on Netflix. A war drama, which is something I wouldn’t normally watch.

It reminds me of Sunday afternoon drama when growing up in the 60s. The sound has a dubbed quality, but isn’t. Hugh Laurie, Mark Ruffalo, Aria Mia Liberty and Louis Hofmann plus many fine actors. Has elements of Indiana Jones first film theme without the chases.

We are finding it intriguing and a bit gripping. Only 4 episodes.

1 Like

We found it too soft and soapy, with acting to match.

1 Like