Interesting TV

My son has suggested Chernobyl to us. Next on our list after a total binge on Netflix ‘Call My Agent’ which we’ve really enjoyed…three seasons over a week!

G

1 Like

The looming Tower.
Although confused that I find myself chuckling along. Dark Dark humour.

Poliakof is always worth watching.

2 Likes

Ghosts has recently finished a 6 part run on BBC1. It’s written & made by the Horrible Histories team who entertained our kids and us a few years ago when we were all younger, and did a fine job of it. Check out Stupid Deaths for an idea of how good they were. Ghosts is great, and like a decent piece of music reveals more on repeated goes at it.

Bacl To Life [BBC3 / post late News on BBC1] was a slow burner but rewarded sticking with it. Ditto Don’t Forget The Driver.

Ricky Gervaise created Afterlife, on Netflix. I watched one, then the second the following night and worked through the remaining 4 in one stint. Very good.

3 Likes

If Keeley Hawes is in it, it IS interesting. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

There’s a series currently being repeated on the BBC called The People’s History of Pop - a collection of prgrammes about the major movements and upheavals in pop music from the 1950s to the late '90s - told by ordinary people who were there. Fascinating stuff.

1 Like

BBC showed a kind of documentary of the Queen, yes The Queen, in the audience of a studio recording of The Good Life tonight - ok it’s a bit off topic as it’s not a new series as such, but it was quite surreal, she was mid-audience, with Prince P.; it was all a bit Monty Python really… Felicity K doing a pretend curtsy. Weird, but also of it’s time.

Kept expecting Michael Palin to step out and launch into a link about wilderbeest migrating across the Serengeti. Nite nite.

Edit: Is it just me or is Newsnight’s Nick Watt a spitting image of a young Michael Palin (Python years)… I keep expecting to see him pull out a meat cleaver, or halibut, whilst talking into camera in the commons lobby… Like I said, nite nite.

…dis town, gonna be a ghost town… excellent.

2 Likes

What We Do In The Shadows on BBC.
Features the excellent Matt Berry.

4 Likes

We enjoyed ‘Summer of Rockets’. The usual Poliakoff tropes and partly autobiographical.

G

1 Like

He’s such a talented director and extremely funny. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is one of my favourite films of the last few years.

2 Likes

Plus One.

Watched ep 4, 5 and 6 today on catch up. Excellent.

1 Like

Must say Years and Years has turned into something decent. Close to the bone potentially and at turns makes you scared and angry!

1 Like

Inspector Montalbano.

Series 13. Ep 33 and 34 shown over the last couple of weeks on BBC4.

7 Likes

Montalbano is a long-standing favourite of ours - though the dressmaker murder episode seemed a bit off … not sure what was wrong with it but it was rather unsatisfying

1 Like

Yes, I have to agree.

I may have immagined it, but the ending was very similar to the ending of a previous episode

Catarella is crossing the line into a 1 dimensional character defined by slapstick. I hope they rein that in in future episodes.

Dottoré!

G

1 Like

Watched Ep1 of Wild Bill last night.

It could be described as ‘interesting’. If interesting allows for ‘Complete and utter horsesh*t’!!!

1 Like

I’ve watched both the episodes to date and although I’ve enjoyed it’s rather quirky nature, I do feel that the endings, where the ‘plot’ unfolds in about 45 seconds are a bit naff and somewhat unbelievable.
A series that I am enjoying currently is ‘The Shield’ on More4. I’d not seen it before although series 1 was made in 2002; 7 series’ in all
Also I will watch ‘Catch 22’ which looks interesting.

1 Like

An English Tin Star?

1 Like