Interesting TV

I think it was David Thomson, among others, who said Catch 22 was unfilmable. But I did enjoy the first episode.
Must try the shield, perhaps after I have caught up with the wire.

Yes I liked Catch 22 ep 1, although it doesn’t seem quite absurd or ‘manic’ enough. Perhaps that will come.

I thought the movie did make a pretty reasonable job, even though many seem to disagree.

1 Like

Watched The Shield first time around and it’s truly one of the unheralded great series. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Yes, I heard good things about it. I find the story telling and the way it’s filmed to be quite similar to ‘Sons of Anarchy’ which was enjoyable nonsense.

1 Like

Keep watching. Believe me you won’t be making that comparison by the end.

2 Likes

I found the opening episode of Catch-22 OK, but not gripping, and disappointedly some of the humour didn’t really work - I hope it improves. Maybe my hopes were too high.

I read the book as a teenager, probably 48-50 years ago, and saw the movie of it a few years later. Some images from the film reinforced the book, and still stick in my mind…

Catch 22… actually, IMHO, one of the best books I have ever, EVER, read. The series is not far from the books, in fact I was quoting some of the phrases whilst watching the episode it’s that close. I like it and I’m pleased to see the series doesn’t look that far off. It’s making me want to get my well thumbed copy out of a cupboard and read it again.

If anyone’s into the scandi-noir theme then Cardinal, BBC iplayer, isn’t bad.

3 Likes

Yes agreed, I’ve watched all the Cardinal series’s and enjoyed them. I can also recommend ‘The Missing’ and it’s spin off ‘Baptiste. Lots of plot twists

2 Likes

Yes. Watched all of these and ‘+1’ as they do now.

G

2 Likes

I haven’t read the whole thread so may be repeating recommendations but the best things on TV recently in my opinion was Chernobyl and starting this week series 4 of Gomorrah. Gomorrah being the best thing ever on TV in recent memory, pure brilliance.

2 Likes

Chernobyl was masterly. I loved the spectacle vs bureaucracy with some choice dialogue.

“Lying” is “Statecraft”…apparently.

G

4 Likes

Read the book. It is as good.

1 Like

Hi Mike, just finished the final series of The Shield, really enjoyable watch and it’s left an impression on me which is a good sign. I read somewhere that Kurt Sutter had a part in the making which I could definitely feel. The story telling and camera angles for instance.
I thought I’d give the BBC’s ‘London Kills’ drama a go after The Shield but the first episode was piss poor I have to say., I’ll probably not bother with it.

FE651769-0C8F-400B-A3AE-8AF560668956-23664-000015756AE63739

The Robert Peston show. ITV.

When he had a little comment spot on the ITV news. I felt his communicative delivery was contrived and ridiculous.
Now that he has his own arena, his somewhat different and unique narrative has given an interesting sketch over contemporary calamities.

8 Days: To the Moon and Back.

Just great.

2 Likes

Have we overlooked Killing Eve, I was late to the party but enjoying a lot. Great cast.

6 Likes

On netflix the excellent Lee Morgan biography.

4 Likes

On Netflix right now there’s a really entertaining comedy-drama series from NBC called Good Girls. It’s about three underpaid, overworked and under-appreciated middle-aged suburban women who take to robbery as a way of making life that little bit better. They find they rather enjoy it.

It’s daft but the three female leads really sparkle. And of course the awesome Christina Hendricks is in it (plus Retta from Parks & Recreation) and she’s always watchable. :innocent:

1 Like

GameFace is back for series 2. Atlanta series 2 now on BBC2. Both excellent.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Don’t think I’ve warmed to a killer before.

1 Like