Internet radio HD

Have a listen to Hastings Rock, RXB Radio, Rock Off Radio, Rock Radio UK and SG1 Rock in the UK section of vtuner for rock, Scandinavia section is good for ambient and pop and rock is all over spend an evening samping the US stations. Spanish is my second language as my partner is from Chile, so we have lots of Mexican, Chilean and Argentinian pop stations in our favourites. Radio Paradise flac stream is easiest to cast from android or airplay from a fruity device or plugged into the usb port, it is possible via Minim but not very reliable for some reason, it is also on Tunein on Asset (Qnap and Synology) with the main stream and the rock etc subsets but Iā€™ve never worked out the stream rate, though it displays a CD symbol on bluenode devices.

1 Like

Hi @ChrisSU

So just to be clear itā€™s now possible to listen to Radio Paradise in FLAC through a Naim streamer by opening the R Paradise app on an iOS device, selecting FLAC format, plugging the device into the front USB port of the Naim streamer and selecting the USB input on the streamer?

Yes, this works for me. Sometimes, but not always, I find that you need to cajole your iPhone into doing this by playing from an Apple app such as iTunes to establish the connection, then switch to the RP app.

It works for me too, but per Chris, not always.
It was fun to try but as I rarely listen to radio seriously, BBC Proms & some R3 live broadcasts are the exception, & RP tends to be an enjoyable but casual listen so I just do it the easy way with Naim app iRadio on AAC 320mb/s.

Not for me it doesnā€™t. I just tried it into the 272; all that offers me on the USB input is iTunes options to select Playlists, Artist, genre etc. No sign of RP anywhere, and no sound emerges. The R Paradise app plays out through the phone when not connected to the streamer.

If you compare this flac with regular RP trout Naim radio on AAC 320mb/s can you notice difference?
This flac must pass through several media before the strimer, through cables, USB connectors ā€¦

Nor for meā€¦ Exactly the same. Having spent goodness knows how long yesterday trying and failing to ā€œmirrorā€ my daughterā€™s iPad to the Samsung TV Iā€™m not inclined to waste any more faffing around with this. Why these things canā€™t just work when you plug them in is beyond me.

Radio Paradise on the native iRadio app on the NDS at 320 sounds brilliant and I very much doubt whether playing it through the USB will be any better.

But thank you @ChrisSU for the suggestion and getting back so promptly.

Plugging my ipad in to the usb on my Nova does not work, nor should it according to Naim when I queried it, so I use AirPlay and itā€™s fine

I do think the FLAC stream sounds better, but not hugely so, and not as good as a regular UPnP FLAC stream. The BBC showed how it should be done, with their R3 trial.

Which BBC station from the Naim list list has the best sound? BBC stations are mostly 128 mb/s.

Yes indeed. Any idea if BBC will follow through and launch the FLAC iRadio Service properly? That would be excellent assuming it was made available on the Naim iRadio Service.

I havenā€™t heard any more about this since the trial, unfortunately. Maybe when they turn off FM to fend off a revolt from people forced to use DAB!

Are you outside the UK? I believe some BBC streams, such as the HLS ā€˜hi-resā€™ versions, are UK only.

The BBC announced recently that they are not now planning to turn off FM.

Best
David

I think their was a caveat along the lines of for the foreseeable future.

It was certainly on the agenda when the R3 FLAC trial was running, which is why I suspect the switch-off might have been part of their motivation for running it.

Of course. Presumably one doesnā€™t plan for the unforeseeable future (unless itā€™s Brexit nonsense).

Anyway my point was that it was expected that the BBC would turn their FM transmitters off soon (when digital listening got above half of all radio listening I think?) but now they have said they arenā€™t doing that.

Best

David

The >50% point was past last year if memory serves, BBC said they do not believe the time is right for switching off their FM national service because of various issues not least of which is the automotive sector.
Problems that I see is the BBC donā€™t own the broadcast network & as the commercial radio sector move over to DAB & web radio, it will fall on BBC to cover most of the ongoing maintenance costs of a national FM service.
Then the elephant in the room is the government; they are supposed to have this digital Britain vision, what will they do, obviously when they are less ā€œbusyā€ & when we get a new one ā€¦ but enough said about that,

Once tame I find radio station- HD, UK only, and it was still possible to listen. Now I cant find, somewhere in folders.
This is my criticism to Naim radio- music materials are not transparent, like a labyrinth, lots of folders and subfolders.

Bryston digital players [BDP-1 to BDP-3] have recently added Radio Paradise FLAC to their repertoire which now includes Qobuz and Tidal too. Bryston are going for it.
Sounds very good but not something I would use much though it can stream direct from BDP to ND 555. Now BBC Radio 3 FLAC, thatā€™s something I would be for ā€¦