Internet speed question

I currently use Verizon fios with their router My current speed is 75/75.
I can get good offer to upgrade to gig speed with their latest router.
I use Naim streamer (NDX2 soon to be ND555). It is wired internet connection to the streamer.
My Naim app works on home wifi on my IPAD.
Is there any benefit making this large jump in internet speed? Either in terms of Naim app function or more importantly sound quality?
David

If it works OK now….then most unlikely.

6 Likes

what about TV? I notice when I stream Netflix it can be slow to load but not intolerable.
I imagine the shows and movies would load faster but picture quality probably not affected by higher speed, right?

If you have 75mb/s downlink, you will not have any improvement with audio streaming, 10mb/s is OK
I doubt video will be improved, other than downloading time, I have good video streaming with 74/19.
I believe faster speeds can help with gaming

1 Like

Speaking as someone still on ADSL, scratching by on 26Mb, I find even that speed is more than OK for sound quality if it remains stable but there’s the rub. It doesn’t. It still drops for no apparent reason so an evening’s listening can be continually interrupted. Not always, but most times.

I’m guessing that if you have 75 both ways (my upload is less than 2) you presumably have fibre. I’m looking longingly at the fibre that’s been heading towards my home but has been stalled for about 2 years. I’d like to try it to see what speed I think we need.

My brother in law lives in rural Illinois and has 400Mb. He’s had that for at least 15 years by my reckoning. He does commercial software updates for his employer remotely, shares enormous files with friends and family and the whole house is CAT5 cabled to enable the family to do pretty much whatever they want.

I’ll wait and see what happens but just based on my US experience I might be tempted to go for a similar speed if offered it at a reasonable price, but that speed won’t be because of music streaming.

Yes Verizon uses fiber
Will probably just leave it the way it is

You definitely don’t need faster, our speed is significantly lower and supports all the music/tv streaming.

1 Like

For the TV, do you use Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable.

I found changing from Wi-Fi to an Ethernet cable made a huge improvement, not only in having no buffering issues, but also in picture quality.

DG…

2 Likes

The bitrate of both CD quality and HIRES FLAC is well (well well…) below your current pipe bandwidth.

You should expect no change in audio performance.

Or video for that matter (streaming 4K takes about 25mbps)

1 Like

Wired

When I stream via Netflix, the download rate goes from 1-6Mbps, so no you don’t need more, unless you are streaming 8k TV possibly

1 Like

The entire network is a generator of noise, which is detremental to digitally based music. The more traffic and the more activity you have, the more noise that’s delivered to your DAC and the less fidelity the resulting music has.

Ideally, you want as little network activity as possible while playing music. That means you want only audio related traffic passing to your system and you want it passed as quickly as possible with as few interruptions as possible.
So how does network speed influence that? Firstly, lets assume a low speed network. That low bandwidth has to be shared across all traffic and multiple clients, so that sharing causes interruptions and delays. Second, instead of a job taking milliseconds to transmit, it takes a lot longer, so the the network is active for a larger percentage of time and therefore makes more noise.
What you actually need is a dedicated network stream and high transmission speeds such that latency is minimised and the amount of time the network is actually active is reduced, reducing the amount of noise and the number of network related CPU interruptions.
In my system, tracks and albums are buffered prior to playing and the network is quiet during the time music is actually playing.
In addition, the user interface on a slow network takes a lot longer to transfer and load meta data and runs slowly, whereas on a fast network, the UI feels like its hardwired.
So whether increasing the speed of your network improves SQ depends on the degree of audio network isolation, the amount of other traffic on the network and the degree to which the network has been optimised for clean and efficient, error-free transmission of the audio related traffic. When it comes to sound quality, network speed is only one of several key ingredients

my router has a single dedicated cable that goes directly to my Switch (regen ER) from switch only single cable to my streamer. No other sources
Based on everyone’s comments I am staying with my 75/75 speed
My system sounds good and hope to see it improve when I slot in the ND555.
Thanks, David

love succinct!

Don’t forget also that the current Naim Streamers have a 50MB buffer so a CD quality track will probably be fully buffered on a 75Mb connection in 4 secs at best, but even at worst, isn’t going to me massively different I wouldn’t have thought (75Mbits = 9.3MBytes per sec )

1 Like

Rubbish, prove it.

1 Like

Nonsense.

1 Like

I doubt there would be any benefit unless there were multiple users on the network at the same time. Our download speed is just 4.2Mbps. At that speed I can stream from Qobuz at up to 24/96. I have limited the streamer to that frequency as it won’t cope with 192kHz. If someone else turns on a computer then the stream stops. 75Mbps would be a dream for me.

1 Like

Can you prove that it is rubbish.

I’m sure somebody will come along and attempt to prove it is rubbish. Spouting nonsense that other people will regard as rubbish.

Entertaining, if not very useful. :blush:

They have no need to. It’s up to the advocate of the theory to prove.

If i say the world ends at midnight I shouldn’t expect you to disprove my theory.:slightly_smiling_face: