Interpreting forum stats? šŸ¤Æ

Do you feel better now?

Comfortably numb.

2 Likes

Congrats Rafael. You can even receive Ā« Trust Ā« or Ā« expert Ā« badge if you succeed in your burn in cable proof test. :laughing:
I hope you will post your results.

1 Like

Weā€™ll see, I had a feeling of burning my fingers in the other thread.

1 Like

Sadly the thread was closed stopping further discussion, but at least it is still there to read, with all the suggestions and considerations of testing, so I do hope you proceed with it in as objective and balanced way possible, and start a new thread to report back when you have, or perhaps post your final protocol proposals for comment before doing the tests.

There was some stress at the end

Just a very tiny point, but one that had occurred, although everybody seems to view the :heart: as a like, I think a simple :+1:t3: would be more appropriate, or have both symbols for better context.

On some of the more contentious issues, some views are better expressed with a more obvious like (:+1:t3:) rather than a less obvious like (:heart:) which can be construed as ā€œI loveā€ your comment, which could come across as a little juvenile depending on the context.

Basically, my view is either have a ā€˜thumbs upā€™ or both, but not only a ā€˜loveā€™ symbol.

:thinking:

Maybe you would say in English ā€œLife moves onā€.

1 Like

Both up and down votes would really be the best approach i think.

One thing that is quite often polarizing on the forums is when for instance two people have a discussion and one of the two writes something contentious or perhaps even ad hominem.

There are quite often a few people ā€˜likingā€™ such contentious posts, which then creates a skewed view that a negative post is displayed as something positive.

Example:

Person 1: I donā€™t think that argument is very convincing
Person 2: I donā€™t care whatever the hell you think ( :heart: 2)

It could be that many more people find the second post objectionable, but that is not visible since only likes/upvotes are tallied.

A more balanced system where you could upvote but also downvote a comment (no need for negative ratings, just until 0 would suffice) would give a more accurate or fair view of how posts are seen by a wider audience on the forums.

Example where person 2 gets 2 upvotes but also 3 downvotes :

Person 1: I donā€™t agree with that train of thought
Person 2: Well i donā€™t care whatever the hell you think ( :heart: 0)

The 0 would then indicate that the post was upvoted at least once, but also downvoted at least once.

That would work.

I would also replace the :heart: with a :+1:t3: . The heart seems over the top in most contextsā€¦except for Dating Sites I would suggest.

Far fewer ā€˜likesā€™ now on this threadā€¦folks are feeling bashful about using them now.

G

3 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™d be absolutely against a down vote, thumbs down or whatever. Itā€™s not some sort of gladiatorial contest. At least likes are positive. Say someone posts an album and then someone downvotes it because they donā€™t like it. Who really cares that someone doesnā€™t like it? Tastes are simply different.

Say I give some system advice, in good faith. Someone doesnā€™t agree and downvotes it. Nobody knows why itā€™s downvoted. It doesnā€™t help the person who asked for advice one iota. People should, in my view, make the effort to contribute properly, with useful sentences. Smileys mean nothing. Some posts are riddled with them, which for a grownup seems rather pathetic. Itā€™s just lazy. Thatā€™s my view anyway, and some would say Iā€™m just a miserable old git. Iā€™m sure they can find a suitable smiley to make that point.

4 Likes

:frowning:

Thatā€™s weird. The miserably smiley changed when posted

Cā€™mon, Nigel. Youā€™re not that old!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s true. I just dislike smileys and think itā€™s lazy.

1 Like

The point i was trying to make is that likes can also be used negatively, depending on the context of the post or posters.

The way I look at it is that if someone says something nasty, others who like that post are also being nasty. Itā€™s therefore clear who is agreeing with what. If someone says something genuinely objectionable, others should call them out, not simply hide behind an emoticon.

1 Like

Smileys and emoticons some times mean something different depending on the language and culture. Plain old English is less risky, but I have observed that nowadays is more difficult to convey irony and humor without an emoticon.

@anon4489532 keep strong, if someone wants your little red harts, he should work harder!

This is a very good thread for August.

1 Like

HH once liked a post of mine showing an image of a boiled egg looking like Hitler.
I now suspect it was an act of his wayward finger.

2 Likes