Introduction

Hello to everyone.
My name is Vaggelis from Thessaloniki Greece.
I recently entered the magnificent world of Naim Audio & I am very happy I did.
I listen to music since I was 12 years old,when I bought my first vinyl record LP “The Prodigy-Music for the Jilted Generation”,back in 1994.
I mostly listen to Electronic Music,Old School Hardcore-Jungle,Drum & Bass.
Also Classic Rock,Metal,Blues,Reggae & Greek Rembetika.
Three years ago i upgaded my system & bought the Vincent SV237MK with Cerwin Vega XLS-15 speakers & the XLS-15S Subwoofer.
I remember then my dealer insisted on trying the Naim Nait xs2 with the speakers.
I regret I didn’t…
A month ago he lent me the Nait xs2 and I was completely blown away.
I should have listen to his advice back then.
Anyway…
Three days ago I auditioned the Ovator s-600 powered by the Nait xs3 & the FlatCap.
The combination was awesome!!!
No second thoughts about the speakers-we closed a very good deal for the demo speakers.
Now I am waiting to audition the Ovators with the SuperNait 3 & the decide which amplifier to choose-any recommendation is welcome,please.

My rest system:
1.Technics m5g turntable
2.ProJect Phono Box DS2
3.Tascam cdr900mkii cd-recorder
4.Technics sl1200dz cd player

4 Likes

Welcome, enjoy your system and music. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to forum, enjoy the music.

1 Like

If the choice is between the Nait XS3 or the SN3 it has to be the SN3 with those speakers, which are not ideally suited to either amplifier - they really need something quite a lot better. You should also look at your sources to ensure they are good enough for your amp and speakers.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply.
The choice is between the xs3+flatcap xs or the SN3 (some time later add the hicap)…
Right now my financial do not allow me to do anything more than that.
I only listen to vinyl,rarely cds (i have the cd player just in case) & no streaming or digital-actually i hate digital…lol…
I recently upgaded my m5g (internal tonearm wiring & external rca socket) & using an Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge & I have to say I was very satisfied with the results.

Your Technics deck is a really great record player and easily good enough to front either the SN3 or XS2 so no worries there.
It sounds as if you really enjoyed the XS2 / Ovator 600 combination so I’d have to imagine that the SN3 will give you more of the same and also has it’s own built in phono stage which is a bonus.
The best advice I can give you is that you listen with your own ears and let them be your judge you will get great technical advice on this site but asking for advice on which amp or speakers to buy is pointless as any particular set of amp and speakers can sound vastly different in any number of rooms and if you like your music loud which I suspect you do make sure you take your own music to that demo and crank it up.
Ideally a demo in your own room is the most fool proof way to buy a system but of course this isn’t possible most of the time so take your Technics if you can and an armful of your favourite records and as I said listen at different volumes.

3 Likes

Hello friend & thank you for the response.
In every audition took place I had my turntable & records with me.
I agree that this is is the only way you can test a new system.
I use an mc cartridge,the Ortofon Quintet Blue, so the phono preamp of either the two amps won’t help with that.
And yes I truly enjoyed the nait xs3+flatcap xs combination.
Anyway in a few days I will know for sure which of the two amps I will choose.
Once I do I will post again to say my impressions & upload some photos too.
A great thank you to everyone.

1 Like

The Quintet Blue is an excellent cartridge Vaggoz perhaps as an experiment you could try a step up transformer or head amp along with the MM input on the Nait.
I have an older 1210 a Mk2 version which I found really responded to different phono amps at first I was using a very humble Musical Fidelity V LPS which cost very little but improved greatly with the addition of it’s matching PSU the V LPS I’ve also tried a Ming Da valve phono amp which although didn’t work was very well reviewed elsewhere and at the moment I’m using a battery operated Bugle 2 DIY stage built with the best components by an exceptional engineer which has improved things again.
So maybe you could test out some other phono stages when funds allow as they can really improve things.

2 Likes

Welcome and congratulations on your Nait XS 3.

I definitely would be moving up to the SN 3. You can look also look to add a HiCapDR power supply to your integrated amp.

Good luck with your decisions and enjoy the journey!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for your concern & advice.
Hope I will have more news in the following days & share my impressions & experience with you guys.

If you want, you can introduce yourself also in the System pics 2020 thread.
I hope we will see also some Greece from the windows :grinning:

1 Like

Will do mate.
You can still make it to see Greece this summer,all country airports are open!!!
Lol…

1 Like

Hello again to everyone.
Just a couple hours ago I returned from my dealer’s shop.
I took with me my Technics m5g,my project phono box ds2 & 10 of my favourite records,once again and we started the comparison.
First we hooked up the SN3 with the s-600’s.
I was very impressed with the clarity,the balance between all frequency ranges and the smoothness and volume of the low frequencies of the SN3!!!
Then we turned to the XS3 & flatcap xs combo.
Played the same records again & I realised that the combo had punchier sound,maybe due to the flatcap,but it lacked a bit in clarity & smoothness compared to the SN3.
We repeated the procedure 3 times and every single time the sound of the SN3 was more & more pleasant & joyful.
So…I took the decision to buy the SN3 & sometime in the future I will add a HiCap for even better results.
Another thing that lead me to my decision was the the price difference between them was only 200€ more for the SN3.
So I decided to take an amp that already sounds better & upgrade it in the future.
If everything goes as planned I will have both speakers & amp this Friday afternoon delivered & hooked up.
I feel like a child waiting for Santa,i really can’t wait…

6 Likes

Happy days…it will be worth the wait.

1 Like

Congratulation Vaggoz!

I’m sure you will be pleased with your SN 3 and have many years of enjoyment!

1 Like

Hello everybody.
Today i packed these:

and installed these:

5 Likes

I can’t describe my feelings…

6 Likes

Congratulations on getting everything home and installed! Great looking set of Naim speakers and your system is looking wonderful…

Don’t forget to Post some Pictures in the System Pictures thread.

3 Likes

The speakers you have just gotten shot of remind me of the rubbish/waste bins us Brits see in every town centre throughout the UK.

Thank you friend.
I will post my all system in the pictures thread one of the following days…

2 Likes