Is it possible to pair Nac 252 with the new Nap 350?

I wonder how just a cable (without conversion circuitry) can connect an unbalanced preamp with a balanced amp?

I believe the New Classic Amps are pseudo balanced maybe @110dB can confirm.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you? Classic pre and New Classic power work very well together.

1 Like

252 is a very capable amp. I’d be very suprised if doesn’t shine with the 350’s. A winning combo of elegance and power I expect.

3 Likes

Makes me curious how the new Nac 332 compare, looks like quite another solution with on-board PSU.

“A white paper will be released … soon.”

Not yet… :thinking:

The 252 will be holding back the 350s. The NC is a different sound and you’d be losing some of that magic with the 252. 222 with PS or 332 would be a better match.

Just in case you missed it, you can find it on the TomTom website - with all the articles on the NC gear. I’m not sure why the “official” release is delayed.

That was my point - or question.

(I have read the TT version, previously.)

Guess it got hit into the long grass and now no one remembers where it went… :expressionless:

1 Like

I assume that Chord would be able to supply the cable needed.

252 is the best sounding pre i have ever owned, just needs setting up right. it amazes me on a daily basis, with a tricky speaker…big focals etc i bet its a brilliant combo

My NC250 sounds pretty awesome fronted by a 282, and whilst i have heard the same power amp fronted by both a 222 and 332, I’m certainly not concerned about ‘system synergy’ between Classic and New Classic.

Only worthwhile upgrade for me would be a 332 with maybe a 300 attached.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re convinced which is all that matters for you. The 282 is a good amp but for me it doesn’t hold up to the NC options. The NC 250 is a great amp and no doubt improves your set up. Enjoy.

For now, the only thing that matters to me is that the 350 can work with the 252. So this could also be a future development

Most of the “sound” of the NC series can be attributed to the DAC/DSP and pre. No doubt the 350s do play some part as well.

However, the 350s are just a fantastic agile and transparent mono amp. No reason they can’t grace a system fronted by classic components.

We are certainly considering them with our 252, but they are so capable that they deserve better speakers, which might add £20k to our bill :sob: And on the end of a 552 they could be spectacular….

I have the naim system paired with proac d38s. I like the sound of it, I don’t plan to replace it for a while

1 Like

Ah, that’s interesting… been down this path of “pseudo balanced” before (on the fishy forum).
Yes, would be interesting to see what @110dB has to say.

Google Tom Tom Audio Naim white paper.

Hi @nicnaim and @sktn77a

RE balanced on New Classic

• All XLR outputs are balanced impedance (only the hot signal is active, the cold signal is impedance matched to the hot).
  • All XLR inputs are fully balanced (electronically)

We found the balanced impedance sounded better than standard balanced. It offers the same noise cancellation as standard. It has also been designed to be able to drive long XLR cables. Fully compatible with standard balanced systems. The signal levels the same as the single-ended outputs, which can be helpful mixing systems. Standard balanced is inherently 6dB louder.

The balanced inputs use single-end class-A buffers that drive the power amplifier’s differential inputs (non-inverting and inverting). Simple and transparent sounding.

New classic is compatible with previous classic ranges with the appropriate cables.

Cheers
Steve

5 Likes