Is it worth changing a NAP 250 DR to the new 250?

while I share your enthusiasm for the NAP500DR which is a great power amp, my 250DR sounds really good to the point of me thinking, wow, this is so good… And I know what the 500 DR sounds like but I don’t really need it…For me maxing out the source is what paid off in terms of musical enjoyment.

4 Likes

I think it looks the business, big bold and magnificent. And sounds fantastic apparently.

4 Likes

Someone seem to forget the upcoming Nap 500 service recap expenses, I recall thats an extra ordinary spending.

3 Likes

500 series service costs were £900 in 2022. I really can’t be bothered looking for an up to date price. I guess £1k plus now. Don’t forget to add this to the cost of your eBay bargain :joy:

2 Likes

True but at 12000 or so for a pair of 350s, 1000 recap isn’t too much to factor in for another 10+ years life.
Still probably too big for our room though.

1 Like

Over a year in and even though the New Classic NAP 250 is a higher resolution and more revealing amplifier than the NAP 300 DR so far I’ve found nothing to be bright, lean, cool, flat, forward or thin.

As someone who bought one of the last produced NAP300 DR and changed to new NC250 I would say try and have an open mind . Just because the 300 is two box chunky burndy impressive piece of kit does not make it automatically better than the one box NC250 .
The new amp is SOO quiet. Noise floor soo much lower ,for me in my system so much more is flowing through .
Yes if using an older pre ,cable issues have to be overcome .My 8 balanced leads are sitting unused in the boxes as I’m RCA to balanced ,more usual will be din to balanced .
If you can’t hear the difference then great you have saved some money . But please try it for yourself .Yes it’s never nice to purchase an item which then is discontinued by new ranges with all the latest know how ,manufacturing techniques. But let’s not let it bias our opinions . Naim have put allot into trying to move the quality on . I certainly am extremely happy .
Transformer hum zero ( in my home) low noise floor , hearing more . Amazing looks ,and the implementation of the logo is really beautifull, make me dream of the full set . ( I have olive ,classic and NC in my setup)
Just a bit more open mindness I think .

9 Likes

Now that the price of an NC250 is going up by £500 you may want to stick with the 250 DR :roll_eyes:

1 Like

More revealing and quieter vs the 300 dr , yes. Quicker, yes. But the 300 dr has more body and textures. More organic sounding. For my ears, your ears may differ. In the recent two years I had the 300 dr, 250 dr and NC 250 .

2 Likes

Hi FR, did you only have the NC 250 for a couple of weeks, as there was a set up issue with the rest of your system?

1 Like

Body, texture and organic is where it’s at :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Ok you have fact 12’s…lovely demanding speakers…I went from a 250dr to a second hand 14 year old Nap500…(purchased for £4800) …controlled by a 272 as a pre amp (quite humble)…driving tiny PMC 20.21 speakers. The differance was staggering…everything was better better even at low volumes…I would say as good as the 250dr is…you would have a substantive upgrade by moving to a superior amp. I would think the way to go is either 350s or a 500… I know you want to keep the box count down…seriously your speakers need as much control as you can possibly throw at them… I would think the new 250 would be a side ways step … which may change the presentation or balance - but not give you bliss…just my thoughts…

2 Likes

So, if you had the choice only between these 3 (and of course all 3 worked ok not like in your case with the NC250), which one would you personally take in your home system?

All 3 will work its a question of what they will give… box count can be important I fully understand that…multiple black boxes do not lead to domestic bliss…

Yes, it’s that I remember FR’s case as he was a bit unlucky with installing the NC250 and I somehow quite trust his ears … and previously, in his system and room, I believe he preferred the 250DR over the 300DR…

1 Like

Moving up - to an ‘improved amp’ can change your system balance quite considerably…meaning you will probably have to reposition speakers …that does not surprise me…

I have still it, waiting for the Ear 534 which will replace it. A little annoying issue with my system ( pops pops on one speaker heard if I am close). But not when I listen.

1 Like

NC 250 in my room, but maybe the 300 dr in another house …

1 Like

Only you can say if it’s worth changing. I prefer the 250NC to the 250DR and have owned both. I can’t speak to how the 250NC would sound with your OC kit/speakers and your room though.

2 Likes

Except that the New Classic NAP 250 is the superior amp and is the substantive upgrade to the NAP 250 DR.

Btw, I don’t have Fact 12’s.