Is it worth in 555ps dr on ndx2 instead of xps dr?

I’ve recently gone XPSDR to 555PSDR on NDX2. Quite a big step up. Not cheap tho, but some 2nd hand bargains around if you’re patient

1 Like

The definition of bargain is interesting :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

haha - bad word choice

Big step up is what I would want for the cost
Can u be more specific about the kind of improvements that u noticed?

1 Like

I used my 555PSDR with my NDS and recently replaced the the NDS with an NDX2. At the end of the day, not a lot of different between the NDS and the NDX2 which is good!

1 Like

I promised an update on the move from XPSDR to 555PSDR on my NDX2. This in the context of a 252DR/250DR/Tab 10 Sig system with Morgana interconnects & TQB ‘speaker cable.

A week in and I feel confident in saying that this is a very substantial upgrade across a number of areas that simply brings the performance closer.

1. A fundamental is that instruments and voices have more differentiated believable timbres. Strings playing together for example are more easily understood as separate players contributing to a whole.

2. The sense of space, side to side and back to front is greatly enhanced. This makes 1. above even more appreciable.

3. Inky blackness. Yes. Inky blackness defines the space from which the musicians emerge. As an example I’m listening to ‘Ibrahim Ferrer - Buenos Hermanos’ and the acoustic atmosphere of the studio is more apparent. The XPSDR flattens this somewhat by comparison.

4. PRAT remains intact

So, in my system I’m delighted. I bought a lovely example S/H for £4750 and consider it money well spent.

Would I agree if I’d bought new? I’m not so sure. I’d probably want to be in a position to unthinkingly afford an ND555 to feel happy with that level of investment on a new power supply.

If you can secure a good S/H 555PSDR for the price of a new XPSDR then it’s ‘a no-brainer’ in my experience.

G

16 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.