Is it worth in 555ps dr on ndx2 instead of xps dr?

Hi guys. thank you so much for all your advice. honestly, the opinions are quite mixed. however in the end, also thanks to you, I decided to upgrade From xps dr to 555ps dr. I hope it will be worth it. my dealer made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and I made up my mind. now it will be a few weeks before it arrives. I hope to be able to give you my impressions soon.

2 Likes

I assume that you have listened to this combo at the dealers? And hopefully have not bought blind.

Bever heard the NDX2 with a xpsdr in my system only with a 555ps and it is a superb combination enjoy.

1 Like

no, unfortunately my dealer is a long way off and I couldn’t hear this combination. I bought it blindly, but Naim has never let me down. every update was an improvement. I’m sure this will be the same. if this is not the case then it means that I will resell it :smile::smile::smile::smile:

2 Likes

Please do keep us posted! My NDX2 + 555 DR are in their second week, like you and pcd I never listened to the XPS with the NDX2 and like you I got an offer I could not refuse (both the NDX2 and 555 were pre-loved and returned to my dealer by another customer. Fabulous price and with full warranty, so …)

Am absolutely in love with the system as it is, but very interested in your opinion.

My dealer prefers the 555 and was always right in the past, whenever I listened to stuff laboriously I ended up with the dealer’s favorite combo anyway. So I simply took the punt this time - Naim has never let me down either, I might upgrade to 500 in the future, and after assembling all of my new system (see profile) since June I was frankly exhausted and fed up with comparing and driving boxes to and fro.

2 Likes

I will let you know. ndx2 already sounds wonderful with xps dr. with 555ps dr it will only sound better

2 Likes

Don’t forget to let it run in/burn in :+1:

1 Like

Of course

:smiley: It’s a real pity that @igahman’s thread about the “burn-in myth” got closed (for reasons I don’t understand):

My new (50 hours) NAC252 needs to go back to the distributor (terribly unbalanced Alps poti at lower volume), so I dropped it off at the dealer today and they loaned me their demo unit. Drove home, plugged it in and there is no doubt that it is better.

1 Like

They probably started discussing burn-in of cables, or the reliability of Toyota over Mercedes…

4 Likes

It was also about cables yes, but the explanation was a bit strange, “the poster’s question was more than answered”, when it had not been a question and this criteria would close 90% of threads. Ethernet cables anyone? :smiley:

1 Like

I think the thread starter may have asked Richard to close it.

The only real answer is to try it, you may hear a difference, you may not, yes the 555 power supply is bigger, but can a NDX2 use all it has to offer? Yes it will max out the xps, but as others have said, if you feel that a ND555 might one day end up in your system, then it might be worth going for one, even if you dont hear anything different using it on the NDX2.
As in most cases, its a balancing game

2 Likes

Yes I suppose so, but the reason given was different. (And obviously the OP may do what he wants, I just don’t get it)

I’m swapping my NAC N272 for a NAC 252 and an NDX 2. I already have a NAP 300DR. Plus I will deploy an existing XPS DR with the new NDX 2. Can’t wait to get it all fully in place…and report back. Cheers!

4 Likes

You will then have what I have, assuming your SuperCap is also a DR.

The most dramatic Naim upgrades I have done have been power supplies. Adding the FlatcapXS to the NaitXS2 was amazing. Adding the 555PS to the CDS2 was even more amazing. You just can’t believe how much more of the music you can hear. I don’t think you will be sorry with the 555PS DR.

3 Likes

Initially I was using a single 555ps on my CD555 (mandatory).
Last year I decided to dabble in the streaming world, and purchased an NDX2. I ran it bare for a few months, and was impressed with the sound quality. After a while I got curious about power supplies for the NDX2 and decided to switch the 555ps to the NDX2. An immediate improvement in sound and depth all round. I invested in another 555ps to enable one to be used on each source.
Surprise, surprise! after a few months I was curious to see what benefits a second 555ps would add to the CD555, so added the second one onto the CD555, It hasn’t gone back onto the NDX2 so good was the upgrade on the CD player.
I missed not having my NDX2 not running at its full potential, so have recently purchased a third 555ps to be used on the NDX2. I debated as to whether an XPS 2 would be sufficient, but decided that having previously tried a 555ps on the NDX2 that that was the direction that I personally needed to go.
I’m now a happy bunny, knowing that I’m getting the best out both of my sources as possible.
All that I need now is for naim to produce a source that eclipses everything that has gone before it that requires three 555ps’s and I’m fully prepared.
Joking aside, if you want to achieve the very best from your NDX2, and can justify the expense go down the 555ps route rather than the XPS 2. Demo ones or previous loved ones often come up for sale via dealers and other outlets, offering savings on buying new.

4 Likes

So can u give an update on the addition of the 555ps compared to the xpsdr?

Hello. my 555 arrived on December 23rd, so it hasn’t been long connected to the ndx2 and above all it’s still too new to have a definitive idea. first impressions are of an improvement on the shades, but not a revolution over the xps. more precise, clearer, but L xps could also be fine. anyway I recently sold L ndx2 in favor of a nd555, so I believe that the final running in of the 555psdr will be done with L nd555.