Is my amp supposed to sound like this?

Yes, thread name including, but if you search properly you’ll find many, many more - e.g. over 120 with phrase “foot tap”, more feet tap, more toe or toes tapping, then there’s more with different wording e.g. feet were tapping, tapping of feet etc. But I suspect you know this - as a regular forum member you certainly can’t have failed to see frequent mention, unless you confine yourself to very limited thread subjects or don’t see what is posted…

1 Like

For clarity, FR, the question of foot tapping as currently being discussed arises from Guinnless challenging my mention specifically of tapping feet, so PRaT is irrelevant

“ Naimites is just an insult as if these people are brainwashed rather than making a considered decision. I can tap my foot to a Bush valve radio!” ( original Guinnless post).

I understood that Guinnless found your description of the Naim sound somehow reductive, hiding all the magical musicality and richness of what Naim can offer to the listener.

It seems he may have, though that was not what I said or intended. And he just picked bits of my post to criticise (leading to the foot tapping nonsense), rather than offer anything constructive e.g clarifying the “Naim Sound” for the OP.

Going back to PRaT and foot tapping, PRat may be something in which Naim excels, but foot tapping is what people do. And we don’t all foot tap just because music is well presented etc (e.g. for me the trigger is quite unrelated to sound quality including PrpRaT).

Late to the thread but can’t help thinking that judging a SN3 by how well it amplifies a Sonos isn’t really going to help much - unless the intention is to keep the Sonos as the source in the longer term. What the OP needs to do is hear how the amp sounds like when used with the source he intends to supply his music going forwards.

Best arrange a demo of SN3 with a similarly classed source - this needn’t be Naim
(cough… NDX2… cough) but should be good enough to be partnered with the SN3.

I wouldn’t think that it has come to the end of its economic life, Sony products in the ES series were built with high quality components. Certainly some of the Power FETs can be hard to find but I would be surprised if they have failed.

@Lewy888 , Can you tell me what the full model reference is please as my search for 777ES amplifier seems to come up with a couple of models. I would like to look into this, no promises but it would be a terrible shame not to get it fixed worse still to dump it, please don’t do that!

Many more thanks to the additional posts.

I don’t want to get caught up in any ongoing disagreements about what the Naim sound is or offending anybody by using any pigeon hole type of description but; I’ve just been listening to the master of “best of pink floyd” and apart from it sounding utter amazing through this amp I did still recognise that it was very forthright in the kick drum frequency, certainly from my previous experiences of listening to this album (good or bad) This perceived forthrightness did give it more of a rhythmic nature that people may or may not (incorrectly or not) refer to as foot tapping. (Possibly or not) (I hope that is enough caveats)

Again I may just be listening to this tune as intended for the first time.

And again I love so much about this amp.

Maybe a different question; I have never used roon but from a quick promo video I notice it has some sort of eq. Is this a potential way of tailoring tunes to my tastes depending on what I’m listening to?

Hi Roog,

Thank you for offering to help with this. The full model number is Ta-VA777ES. It’s actually an AV amp but isn’t used for that any more, I used to have the matching CD player but that was damaged beyond repair by my children many moons ago.

I had lots of years of enjoyment out of it but now the kids are a little older and there is slightly more money in the pocket I thought it would be nice to chase the stereo nirvana that I’d always dreamt of :grinning:

It certainly would be nice to keep the old amp alive though.

Oooo…you got me excited there, I imagined that it might be a Sony FA777ES I have already down loaded the service manual, a fine beast it is too. Never the less Your AV amplifier is still worth saving.

Out of interest, have you tried disconnecting all of the speaker cables then powering it up?

The question of the OP is if the SN3 can play soft engaging way some tracks, there no way this amp can’t I think that in his case it’s more matter of cables and the speakers synergy and not the sonos, I have a kef q75 which connecting with naca 5, those speakers gave me tons of enjoyments when it was connecting to vintage sansui, but with the SN3 and naca 5 it’s very dull (go figure…) now I waiting to new WH phantom cable maybe it will open and remove the “veill” out of the speakers. If not I will need to look for new speakers …

As I wrote in my first reply, borrow a decent source to try with the Supernait. All it’s doing is showing up the limitations of the Sonos and it’s never going to sound great. You simply don’t match a £200 (or wherever) source with a £3,800 amplifier. Playing with Roon as a tone control is an unnecessary distraction.

3 Likes

It seems to me that a chat with the dealer about the issue would be worthwhile, and then listen to solutions within your budget - but take your source and speakers. Only that way will you be able to confirm what combination works. Then finally confirm back home.

With a limited budget I’d be considering secondhand - see what the dealer has. (Naim amps last forever, though needing a recap every 10 years or so. Actually most decent amps last forever, and likely would benefit from a recap periodically, though many a lot longer than 10 years. Speakers last several decades without detriment. Streamers have been developing significantly I’d only consider very young secondhand.)

Roon has a fairly sophisticated DSP function and it takes a little time and effort to configure it. You can turn it on and off, and you can save different configurations as presets which I guess you could use to match different types of music. There is generally a small loss of overall sound quality from enabling this, perhaps not surprising with the additional processing involved, so I mostly prefer to listen with it turned off.
If you’re hoping that this might compensate for the shortcomings of a Sonos, forget it. Spend the money on a better streamer instead, or if you really want to keep it, use it with a better DAC that can do justice to the rest of your system.

Some years ago I used Chord’s original Hugo DAC to improve ND5XS. Later when they issued the Hugo 2 Chord brought out the Mojo below it. They’ve just issued Mojo2 (there’s a current thread on it), and I’m guessing it may be as good as original Hugo - but lower cost, and witha desktop mode that Hugo didn’t have. That with the Sonos as a digital source if it has a suitable output might be a very cost effective improvement to that end, though I haven’t heard either So os or Mojo2.

TheDAC is the key element in digital, and there have been vast improvements over recent years

I can only speak of my own experience, myself a new Naimite and I have a Nova and have paired it with Kef LS50’s, Tannoy XT6F and Neat Momentum SX7i speakers, all of differing characters and I have never experienced any over forwardness in any of the range, just a beautifully balnced sound, fast and accurate but with a slight added warmth, I do use decent speaker cables (Chord Epic) and as a one stop streaming system to my ears it’s absolutely brilliant with all music types, especially with the Neats!

1 Like

Totally agree…your next step is source…

Ok here’s todays update….

Last night I was listening to further music including the “JJ cale audiophile collection” streamed from my NAS drive drive and it sounded jaw droppingly good!! I mean for me it was amazing. I’m beginning to think that anybody referring to the “naim sound” should really describe it as the naim experience to really do it justice! I’m also beginning to lean towards the fact that yes I am now experiencing many of my favourite tracks as how they’re supposed to sound for the first time and perhaps the up front punchiness is just tightly controlled base. This morning, before I was supposed to take the amp back I was listening to some remastered David Bowie tunes and again the sound was amazing and yes I was experiencing the same presentation.

I called the dealer to explain my thoughts but they have unfortunately had a case of covid within their team of staff. The upshot of this for me is that I can keep this amp for another week to listen to and they are willing to lend me their ndx2 as they won’t be able to do any more demos.

To take advantage of this opportunity I have also secured a loan of a Cyrus i9 to demo along side the SN3 as a “signature sound” comparison.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts.

2 Likes

Sorted! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s all good, but please, please try the SN with a suitable source, at least at your dealers if not at home. You really can’t judge an amp with an inadequate source, or any other component in the chain on it’s own. And have fun choosing.

Roger

1 Like

He’s just said he is going to be doing this…

1 Like