Is my amp supposed to sound like this?

Sony ES to (Simaudio) Moon Integrated might be a closer move in terms of the music experience/presentation. You could check out the NEO ACE (50W/8 Ohms). You get a lot of functionality - Streamer DAC, phono pre and you can expect very good build quality from the brand.

I upgraded to an SN3 last year, utilising an old but loved NAIM CD3.5 as one source. The sound is very balanced and easy to listen too all day.

My other source is digital. Initially I used a low end, but respected DAC with lossless, high bit rate FLAC files from computer. Many tracks worked well, but cymbals and high hats were a real problem, exactly as you describe, but at the other end of the sonic spectrum.

People here have suggested a NAIM ND5 XS2, but supplies have been very short and facing a 5 month wait, I was at a loss until @anon27418182 and and others kindly suggested a British made Chord Qutest as an alternative option. It was a brilliant suggestion and at half the price (or less on eBay) of an ND5 XS2 and available from stock, a great option as a DAC. It has brought out instruments from much loved tracks that I did not know existed and harshness is a thing of the past.

Reading around the subject of DACs, but not having opportunity to compare myself, I understand from multiple forums that the general consensus is that Qutest is superior to the ND5 XS2 (which was designed to partner with the lower NAIT XS3) as a DAC, but NAIM’s NDX 2 is dramatically superior to the Qutest.

Personally, I am extremely happy that I now have a very competent digital source that allows me to play a significant library of ‘HiDef’ audio tracks purchased over the years.

2 Likes

If you like what you hear after testing the NDX2, but can’t afford one, you might want to check out the Nova as an alternative.

*I mean as an alternative system, and not as a source into the SN.

I don’t have experience with your Kef speakers but I can say that Naim matched perfectly with my Kef 104.2 Raymond Cooke series. I used them for 15 years before switching over to the Ovators which I’m quite happy with. I think getting your source sorted should be the priority and you can figure your speakers out last.

Glad to hear that the Qutest has worked out for you @OldNait. I think it is a wonderful DAC and love the sound that it produces with my Nait2/Nytech CA352. Trying one out is at little risk to the purchaser if bought secondhand as the price paid is usually the price it can be sold for if it is not liked.

As there is a new Mojo2 recently released I think there maybe others following. Maybe a Qutest2….

1 Like

Yes, I noticed the Mojo2. Strangely I always rejected Chord as I hated their look - until your suggestion and I listened to the Qutest. I am very delighted with it.

I got the impression this is an upgrade that must stand on its own and last a good amount of time, rather than the first of a series of upgrades.

Either way, the speakers are the lesser issue it seems.

It may be. The OP will have to verify by trying.

To the OP it sounds like you get to try some different gear/sources with th Snait3…great
I have owned a fair amount of Naim and would strongly say auditioning with Naim Naca5 is a must.
Hopefully the dealer has a set to loan, I dont think you said what speaker wire you were using, although I could have missed it.

Try some Focal speakers. I recently had an audition and the Focals with Naim front end blew the competition away, at least to my ears. Clean, balanced and great sound stage from NAS and Qobuz. Can’t speak for the entire range but should be no issues over compatibility and matching.

1 Like

Hi All, apologies for the delayed response but life can really get in the way of hifi auditioning!

I haven’t managed to listen to enough tracks to make a fully justified option yet but I can certainly tell (in my opinion) that the naim and Cyrus amps have significantly different types of sound presentation. The addition of the NDX2 has changed things but not really this aspect.

I’m curious as to what model you have and why you would say these match well with your naim?

I’ve borrowed some speaker wire from my dealer and believe it to be chord clearway x.

Have talked to others I think I’ll eventually opt for some chord epic x as this seems to be the sweet spot between price and performance.

The focal speakers can be “marmite” with Naim amplification. Comments are that they are quite sharp in the treble.
There’s only one model I personally would consider, and that’s the Kanta 2 but quite pricey.

1 Like

I did originally look at the moon amps but I couldn’t find anywhere that I could demo them.

1 Like

If you’re still interested in moon: go to the renaissance audio website, then customer area, and search with your postcode. There are 15+ Moon dealers in the UK (according to their list).

1 Like

Sorry, Lewy888, my first response never got through (from hospital! All OK).
Perhaps naively, I reckoned since Focal owned Naim the brands would be mutually compatible. I auditioned, then bought, Focal Choras with a Naim Uniti Nova. The Focals simply blew anything in the same price range away, especially with Scandi Jazz which is my main recent listening and because of excellent recordings by ECM & ACT, the clarity, detail and sound stage is fantastic (at least to my ears). I also have Linn and Quad speakers, each good in their own way but my first choice would now be Focals. All I’m saying, I suppose is give them a try when you’re auditioning. Cheers and good listening. If you are anywhere near Shrewsbury, try Listen Audio: Steve is brilliant, helpful and knows his stuff (ex B & W).

Lewy another thought … Naim kit needs several days to ‘warm’ up and reach their optimum. Perhaps some of your harshness could be attributed to that. Having it for another week will certainly allow the SN3 to fully load up and you should hear its true potential. They also take a considerable time to burn in, any idea how old the demo is and if its constantly plugged in?

These thoughts come from a few decades of me buying new Naim kit, there’s always ups and downs in SQ until fully warmed up and run in. My S1 pre amp takes 3 weeks to get back to sounding it’s best after being powered down for even a few hours.

1 Like

My SN3 took over a month to settle - then one morning :boom: It woke up

1 Like