Is Neat Acoustics still on naim lovers radar?

I use my PMCs 30cm from the wall, seating position about 3.3m back, I’d have thought 2m would be OK.

Wow, 30cm is close to the wall. I don’t suppose that you have heard the Neat motive SX1s? I think it would take a lot to better them.

I haven’t mentioned budget because I am more interested in a great sound with my supernait 2 and NDX 2 combination rather than how much they cost. Obviously I have limits but am keen to find the perfect partners.

I listened to the SX1s on the end of an Atom and then a Nova at the same dem as I chose the PMCs. Very good speakers, I was really enjoying them, but the PMCs for my taste offered the strengths of the Neats with additional grip and pace, both seriously fine speakers. At the same demo I also listened to Kudos X2s, I was not impressed, but they have enough fans that I wonder if I heard a pair that wasn’t run in, when I heard them they lacked control, of the bas, that isn’t a consistent view.

I also recently listened to B&W702S2 on the end of ND555/ 555PSDR / 252 / supercap / 300, and they were really musical. The 702s would probably be too large, but it might be worth listening to the 704S2.

Of the Neat sx1 and pmc twenty5.23s, which had the better mid and treble? A horrible question because it is all subjective!

I’d say it’s pretty close for me, female vocal, piano and violin all sounded natural on both. It’d definitely be worth a demonstration, they’re both excellent, it’ll come down to personal taste.

I run both the Neat SX1’s and the PMC Twenty5 23’s in different set ups, I like both speakers, I would say the Neat’s are a bit more neutral/laid back and the PMC’s more forward more dynamic, if that helps.

2 Likes

One other thought, Naim were showing NDX2/SN2 at shows with Focal Kanta 2, and I thought they worked well, very musical, great enjoyment. The looks are pretty polarising, some love them, some don’t.

Another Naim / Neat owner here with a pair of Iota Xplorers and a Naim Uniti Nova.

2 Likes

Love my Xplorers

1 Like

I’ve just changed my old but very good Mystique’s 2 for a new pair of Motive’s SE2 and they’re absolutely fantastic. They take quite some time to run-in but they’re almost there at the end of my also recently fully serviced/recapped olive 250. They already sound pretty good together with my fruit box and things will only get better the more I play music through them.

2 Likes

I love mine

I’m late to this thread and have Neat Iotas on the end of an Atom for nearfield listening and this little system sounds really wonderful.

4 Likes

I to needed small speakers that could be placed close to a wall. I chose the Totem Tribe Towers. I auditioned them against the ATC 19 and the Harbeth 30.1. I preferred the Totems.

I power them with a SN2 and they are a great match.

1 Like

I use speakers close to the wall and find that Neat Iota and Iota Alphas are fantastic. I’ve got Iotas in the kitchen high up - not ideal but they work better than others that I’ve tried in that position. Alphas in the livingroom just blend in - idea for a busy home :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I run Neat Momentum SX5i’s in my main system and Neat Motive SX3’s in my second system.

I’m very happy with both sets of speakers.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting 12-minute interview with Bob Surgeoner, filmed at High End Munich 2019. He talks about the new EKSTRA speakers, the IOTA’s, active speakers and a possible new -smaller- EKSTRA stand-mount speaker. The EKSTRA’s seem like good companion for the Uniti range. Has anybody heard them yet?

7 Likes

@mindgarp, thanks for posting this interview with Bob … one of the genuinely good guys in the industry.

Neat have this happy knack of producing great sounding speakers across all price ranges, though I’m already getting somewhat worried by the mention of a forthcoming top of the range speaker, beyond the current XL10.

Oh dear, best start saving! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I love mine too!

Hi Gents,

New comer here. Mostly enjoyed the forum for music suggestions so far and it’s been a pleasant journey so far so thanks for that.

I’ve been thinking of getting a pair of Iota Alpha for my Unitilite for quite sometime now. UL is currently paired with some 15 years old small cheap Tannoy bookshelf and if dynamic is enjoyable, high are harsh and they definitely feel lost in my living room. Alphas seem praised for musicality and I like the idea of unconventional form.

Hearing before buying is quite unlikely where I live (also I haven’t given completely yet), so I will probably pull the trigger blindly at some point but would be curious to read whatever you guys can tell about UL and Alphas.

Cheers
Thomas

2 Likes

I use a Unitilite with a pair of Iota Alpha speakers a very nice combination indeed.

1 Like