Is the NAC 282/NAP 250-DR really that huge an upgrade from a SN2?

@anon4489532 and others have raised some interesting points about the perpetual need to upgrade and true to say it seems to be something which afflicts those who take communion in Salisbury or perhaps have spiritual leanings towards Drakemire Drive. But it’s not only here. @Polarbear and @JonR will recall the heady days back in the infamous Hi-Fi Tent when not only upgrading but sideway moves, box swapping and the constant striving for better/different was all consuming for many. It even went as far as weekend long “bake-offs” where kit and wires would be strewn everywhere and vast quantities of beer and curry were consumed! And led to (thankfully largely online) conflict, raging arguments about cables, valves vs solid state, how a £300 DAC measured as well as a Naim CDS3 and thereby must have been as good.

It’s boys (for the most part) and toys and the need embedded in many for constant improvement. Part of the psyche I guess.

Regards,

Lindsay

7 Likes

Exactly! A kind of madness really. Reckon I can just about beat @Haim though, with 1970s Gales and LP12 plus 1980s 42.5/Hicap/110. It’s all I’ll ever need or want.

2 Likes

Its an addiction -

I remember the first time I heard a “proper hifi” after listning to an old Awia boom box for most of my formative years - It was a NAD 3020 and some similar vintage Mission speakers of some sort… Despite the tens of thousands of dollars spent over 30 years since then, I don’t think anything has come close to that first hit…

6 Likes

no no, it sounds broken, no soundstage, poor bass and zero PRAT :slight_smile:

Sorry Mr. Tibbs. You are of course equally high scoring on the content-o-meter.

My first Linn /Naim system, back in 1983, was an LP12, Ittok and Asak, 42, snaps, 110 and mk 1 Kans. Why didn’t I just keep it? Why couldn’t I be like Mr. Tibbs or Haim? It would still be excellent today. As @LindsayM says, boys and their toys. It keeps the wheels of commerce going and gives us something to talk about but blimey, it’s doesn’t half consume a lot of cash.

Of course people want to improve, it’s part of why humans have got to where we are today, for good or ill. It’s just a bit strange that as soon as someone joins the forum it’s only five minutes before someone says ‘but you’ll want to improve what you’ve just bought’. Spent £5,000 on an NDX2 - better get saving for that power supply! Thinking about a Hicap? Best get another. Or a Supercap to be ready for that 252! It’s both a blessing and a curse. Keep that hamster wheel spinning!!

6 Likes

Mmmmm….I remember the curries.

Fond memories :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

At least with Naim though you are investing in something sustainable with a residual value.

3 Likes

Nope, I am buying a device for listening to music.

4 Likes

Yes…………?

Its not any kind of investment for me. That is all.
Of course it will have a residual value, but that isn’t an investment.

3 Likes

You’re right about many things @anon4489532. We buy these boxes and are happy with them. We know we can upgrade them step by step. The steps go on and on. It can be an addiction.

It’s also a hobby. But is it about music or about upgrading our toys?

You have changed out your 272 and 300DR. When a better 272 comes out I have no doubt you’ll be tempted to change your system again.

Nothing wrong with any of this.

It’s about knowing what you’re doing. We make choices and if we want to upgrade or make sideways moves or downsize it’s all part of our hobby.

As long as it’s not an obsession. It’s all good.

Alot of people on this forum are addicted to HiFi and Naim including myself. I know I really want a 552 and 500 system. Am I prepared to go at any lengths to do this? Certainly not.

It’s a dream. And maybe my dreams will change or won’t be realised.

I have a damned fine system at the moment and part of life is to live in the moment and appreciate what you have.

So Naim forum, stop what you are doing. Enjoy your system as it is now. Live in the moment. If you like what you have stop and think. If you are happy with what you have consider stopping where you are.

I have stopped upgrading for a while now and am happy with my system.

I have plans but they are on the back-burner for at least 2 years until my finances change.

2 Likes

I started by pulling my old early 1990’s Hi-Fi from the garage during last winters lockdown to stave off the boredom. I’ve somehow ended up where I am today and I’ve spent a lot of money but rarely a day goes by when I don’t spend several hours (at least) listening and discovering new music, it’s surely one of the best investments I’ve ever made. I finally feel I’ve achieved a ‘balanced’ system, and I feel that’s a good remedy for upgraditis but I’m not naive enough to think it might be a cure…

I don’t see how a new 272 can be better than an Ndx2/ 555 dr as a source.
So little chances that HH comes back now, when, and if, a new 272 is produced.

Does it matter ?

True, but there is every chance that a 272.2 will have a better preamp than the Supernait as long as it’s powered by a separate PSU. Potentially a better balance overall.

1 Like

Not really, you are right . It just came to my mind and then on my keyboard.

2 Likes

Will the 272.2 actually happen? What’s the vote? 50/50. Or never, or defo?

Quit while you’re ahead Dan :grin:

2 Likes

Maybe I will. Or maybe I won’t. See what happens. Just like the hamster wheel :joy:

I’m sure it would be popular should it ever materialise, they’re struggling to build enough existing products to meet demand for now so I doubt they’ll be doing anything too adventurous from a NPI perspective.
I see Naim at a crossroads in their design language, the turntable hints at the direction they want to take but in doing so it either involves something fundamentally radical to be done across the entire classic range or perhaps a more modest Classic v2 facia/mechanics refresh, as besides the NP800 streaming platform they’re not likely to be doing a DR v2 or amplification redesign unless they do something out of the box with a new Class D design or something else more exotic.
Keeps the hamsters active regardless!