Is the NAC 282/NAP 250-DR really that huge an upgrade from a SN2?

I went the Supercap route because it facilitates future upgrades. It is also worth the extra cost regarding SQ.

2 Likes

I would go Supercap DR rather than two HiCaps. It makes way for 252 as well. Adding a 2nd hicap made a big difference and I really enjoyed the system for about a year or so with them. The Supercap made it even better.

An additional Hicap will make a difference and if that is your end game system. That is 282 and 2 HiCaps then you can stick with that.

I loved the look of the shoe boxes and am quite nostalgic looking back at my two olive hicaps with the 82, all Olive. I had 2 x 135s CB at same time so it looked sublime.

Anyhow, I moved on, got the Supercap 2 and it sounds better.

We are looking at incremental improvements here. Cabling and the Fraim moved things on quite a bit.

The big game changer for me now would be a major change in amplification. That is 552 and 500DR. Anything else won’t really make a huge difference. And different speakers of course.

Have stopped upgrading for a year or so now and am happy with what I have.

1 Like

If I was you I would go 282 and 250DR and leave it there. You already have a HiCap DR. Give it 6 to 12 months then look at 2nd HiCap DR or Supercap DR. Other option is go straight for 252 with Supercap DR. You may decide that 282 one HiCap DR and 250DR is all the system you ever need.

Consider used 282s and 252s and Supercaps.

You will be in for a big improvement going from what you have and will enjoy the ride.

3 Likes

@jsawyer09 you will not be disappointed with the 282 its a wonderful pre either with the HCDR or SCDR, the 282 really brings on the source components holds nothing back.

Okay if you purchase a SCDR there’s always the temptation of the 252 it never ends :grin:

2 Likes

Naim must love this Forum. What a sales tool. It never ends!! And the money keeps rolling in.

It doesn’t have to never end. It’s perfectly ok not to be on a perpetual upgrade hamster wheel.

12 Likes

We have all been there at some point, most are still on the wheel.

1 Like

Still on the wheel. Just having a break. Have loved and enjoyed the upgrade paths. It’s a great journey. Maybe one day I will downsize like @anon4489532 with a Supernait 3! Probably after getting and all 500 System. Lol.

Or maybe not!

As long as you enjoy the music. That’s what counts in the end.

3 Likes

And you are part of that @anon4489532. Purchasing new Naim equipment. Supernait 3 and NDX2. You love it!

1 Like

Dan @anon4489532 still owns audio equipment with an approx price of 20k I wouldn’t call this downgrading as such, 99.9% of the population would think spending 20k mad :grin:

5 Likes

@anon4489532 is on the wheel. When new 272 comes out he will be in on it again! Know that!

1 Like

And then he will buy another 300DR!!!

And upgrade his speakers to Focals!!!

1 Like

Now you’ve gone too far! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

You don’t know what you don’t know.

‘Jeez…All those suckers ordering Solstices, Statements and whatnot…what is wrong with these people?!’
Lol.

More power to em, if they enjoy it and can afford it.

Good for Naim is good for us I would have thought.

2 Likes

No doubt. Heck, if I won the lottery I’d be in my own four story grachtenpand in Amsterdam with a full Statement complement and traveling the world between listening sessions, but it ain’t ever gonna happen. Good on those who have the means. I consider myself fortunate and am grateful I am even talking about ‘separates’ on a Naim forum. :grin:

3 Likes

I thought going from one to two gave a worthwhile improvement. Others have found differently so it’s worth auditioning if you can

1 Like

Yes, I was simply responding to @HiFiman ’s comment ‘it never ends’. This is what non Naim owners find so strange about Naim Hamsters - why can’t owners just buy their boxes and be happy? Why are they always thinking of the next change? Some even post on here that they have bought something, and on the same day want to know what’s next. That’s potty. Of course, their are notable exceptions such as @Haim , who has owned the same stuff for years and seems totally content. I was perfectly happy for years with a LP12, 82/250 and SBLs, and in many ways I wish I’d never found this bloody Forum. With the amount of money I’ve wasted on Naim I could have bought a nice house in France. So I’ll never deny being a Naim Hamster, but hopefully my wheel has stopped revolving.

10 Likes

How about an online Naim therapist to work alongside Richard?

actually this is a bad idea as a high proportion of forum members would be committed to rehab including myself.

2 Likes

I used to work with a guy who like me was interested in hi fi.
He ended up building his own listening studio in the garden, regularly changed his system and then only listened to very few CDs because of the SQ. He listened to such gems as Tibetan religious chanting rather than music that originally involved him in hi fi.
I thought at the time he’d gone a bit barmy but now realise he’d joined this forum.

4 Likes