Is this normal/common/within acceptable tolerances?

To be a 2021 made SN it will need to be above 465513

1 Like

I think it’s very difficult for us on the forum to evaluate the extent of the damage.
Very often, when I’ve taken a photograph of something which I intended to put up for sale (a camera, very recently), I’ve been appalled at how terrible the thing looked in the photographs - the specks of dust and smudges seem to be magnified.
Only Alley_Cat can judge whether the power supply should go back to the dealer - I would certainly do that myself, as he will always have doubts about the equipment if he doesn’t.

1 Like

I seem to recall a similar thing posted here at the start of the pandemic, and it turned out to be caused by hand sanitiser.

2 Likes

True.
In years to come white fingerprint marked items could well demand a premium for vintage collectors looking for authentic covid era kit. :star_struck:

7 Likes

Thanks. I think I mentioned earlier the SN is well beyond 500000.

Are the prices increasing that much ?!

1 Like

Hi @anon4489532

Totally agree.

1 Like

Hi @anon4489532

Totally agreement

Wow, good I bought before the increase :rofl::rofl:

Sorry! I must have missed that.

1 Like

Often easy to miss things in threads!

I once had a case where the box was opened by customs here in Jersey. The muppets opened the bottom of the box (old style stapled one) and then taped it back up. The dealer was excellent and reversed the box for transport to me, so the stapled top became the bottom for delivery. Carefully inspected with me and checked all working.

1 Like

The white stuff reminds me of the cutting compound residue use to finish polish paint… I buy (and sell) quite a few guitars and you see it quite a lot…

2 Likes

Interesting thought.

That does not look right to me I would return it.

1 Like

Any update @Alley_Cat ?

1 Like

Hmmmm. White powder.

Maybe the consignment was used to smuggle cocaine.

Might be a good idea not to remove the fingerprints. :grinning:

1 Like

Spoke to the dealer yesterday and they understand my concerns.

They obviously need to see it first, and they do wonder if they might be able to clean it up if it’s some kind of residue not an inherent defect in the fascia.

I was going to wrap it in something soft other than the bag it came with as I’m convinced the bag is dirty inside due to something that was either on the unit and has coated the bag or perhaps in the bag itself - either way there are sections of the bag that look grimey and I don’t want the grime spreading even more if that makes sense, irrespective of whether it needs to go back to Naim. Had planned to pop it up there late yesterday afternoon but weather took a turn for the worse.

Have been hectic today with meetings and getting car MOT done. Busy 12 hour work day tomorrow so it’s likely to be Friday afternoon of Saturday now.

In all honesty, it’s probably not the best time of year to try and sort things out should it need returning to Naim, but they’ve noted the problem. It would be highly unlikely that the dealer has another new unit to simply swap out.

There was a small white packet in the bag… :thinking:

Pretty sure it’s silica gel though!

2 Likes

Don’t suppose you noted the thread - I’ve tried a search or two but probably not used relevant phrases.