Is this normal/common/within acceptable tolerances?

If it were grade A or B refurbished, the printed label on the box would say so. Grade A by the way is perfect, but has been back to the factory for some reason. Grade B is electronically perfect but with minor hard to spot external imperfections. But they are packed the same and that should all be as new.

1 Like

The part number on the box would end with A or B if that was the case.

Boxes have been sealed with tape and not staples since some time in 2019, I forget when exactly. Definitely no more staples are being used.

2 Likes

I had similar marks on the left hand side fascia of my NDX2 which were visible in harsh light. A damp cloth (with a small dab of Fairy liquid) followed by a micro fibre buff up sorted it completely.

2 Likes

Looks more like ‘heatsink compound’ to me…i would’ve thought it be a bugger to get out of a brushed aluminium facia if it is :thinking:

I find it odd that people are suggesting cleaning it and everything will be fine. It looks awful and even if cleanable it seems to have that pit on the front. If the outside looks like that, who knows what’s wrong inside.

I once received a 555PS with a wonky front panel. I took it back to the dealer and had a new one the next day. These are expensive items and they should be delivered in perfect condition. It needs to go back to Naim to enable them to sort it out and work out what happened. It may be covered in hand sanitiser, heat sink compound, somebody’s lunch or magic fairy dust. It doesn’t matter. It’s not right. It needs to go back.

10 Likes

I often considered the large staples a potential scratch hazard, though unlikely in practice I suspect.

This may be a telling point. The customer may have received, auditioned at home, and returned. If so that could easily explain taped box (though that appears to be a red herring), slit in bag, finger marks, and dust. Enquire of dealer.

Don’t think I’d be brave enough to even mention it if I had :rofl:
I don’t quite see the connection, but long time since I saw the movie.

1 Like

I can’t imagine it leaving the factory in that condition , so guess it happened afterwards

Yep. I’m sure a chat with the supplying dealer will resolve the situation.

1 Like

I really hope that is not the case as I was told it was new and unopened. Had there been any suggestion the box had been re-sealed by the other branch, or a visual suspicion thereof on collection I would have wanted to see it before paying. The sealing tape looked pristine and perfectly applied with no evidence of any previous tape underneath.

As for the small ‘slit’ in the top of the bag I’ve looked at it in the light outside, I was wrong, I think it may be a crease or possibly where an edge of the unit has ‘scratched the bag’. The room I unboxed in does not have a lot of natural daylight and again ceiling lights may have fooled me here.

The odd thing (or not) with the bag is that it looks grimey inside along certain sides when viewed with a torch or in daylight - chicken and egg I suppose, dirt /grime initially in bag or on unit transferred to the bag on packing. Could it even be an old bag used in error from a similar component?

I can’t imagine the other branch would have Naim tape with which to seal it.

I often find in these cases that it’s best to sort it out with the dealer without airing it on the Forum, which only leads to endless and ultimately fruitless debate. Who is at fault? Who dropped their lunch on it? Was it the dealer? Staples or tape? It really doesn’t matter so long as it’s sorted out.

As I said, my wonky fronted box was resolved the next day and I never mentioned it at the time as it would have achieved nothing.

2 Likes

I agree with HH. The fact that you are asking on here means that you aren’t happy. I wouldn’t be either. The dealer has a substantial mark up on new items to allow for providing a service that includes sorting out deficiencies. Take it back, let the dealer sort it.

1 Like

The main reason I initially queried it is because I don’t have any other Classic boxes like this and just wondered if the brushed metal fascias can look odd with light from certain angles, as depending on the direction of the light it ranges from very conspicuous to more difficult to discern.

I understand that and it could be something simple such as greasy hands in the packing bay, but if you attempt to clean it and its still there it adds a complication to the story. The question might be asked as to what you cleaned it with. Better to let the dealer take that responsibility with a new product.

1 Like

If it was re-sealed it was done in an expert manner as there are no signs of older tape and having ‘disassembled’ several Amazon boxes for recycling with this kind of tape I think it’d be virtually impossible to remove old tape without tearing the adjacent white untaped box finish.

I’ll naturally call the dealer when they open next week.

Unfortunately, I suspect a rapid resolution is unlikely given lead times mentioned in other threads.

1 Like

Don’t worry, I have no intention of trying to clean it.

2 Likes

I have found that Naim Audio (and its retailers) are exceptional when it comes to resolving customer concerns. I’d call the retailer first thing Monday morning, tell them the problem and that you’ll be returning the item and, if the retailer I use is anything to go by, they’ll have spoken to Naim to agree a plan to resolve the issue before you even get to the store. That’s one of the things that really differentiates Naim Audio and its retailers from the rest.

1 Like

As many people have sensibly said - take this back to your dealer. However/wherever the marking has happened, it needs sorting. Happy to expedite this in any way if useful.

8 Likes

Thank you Clare, your kind offer is much appreciated.

Will contact the dealer when they open next week, I’m confident they’ll get it sorted. (I had planned to do so yesterday afternoon, but we had a family birthday event in the morning followed by a fantastic lunch at a local Italian restaurant - I overindulged food wise and within minutes of getting home nodded off in the armchair - too late when I woke early evening!)

2 Likes