Isoacoustics Gaia Setting Up and Performance

After writing the last post I continued reading the thread and found answers for many of the things I mentioned.
Very interesting, definitely worth a try.
As for the size, in my case I don’t think it’s an issue, I think you notice the coffins resting on top much more than the pedestal.

This becomes an advantage, first because obviously either you drink or you approach near the speakers. If someone does both at the same time will risk his life anyway, with or without TP.
But with TP you have a lifesaving if you notice this trip hazard and simple stay away.
Secondly, because of the augmented footprint, they create a safe space around the speakers and horns.

The biggest problem of TP in my case is technical-practical ones, like how put the Acapellas on it, and after in moving it.
But this is not easy and comfortable even without TP.
Hope my dear towel can help also with TP.

Nice. I just realised your system is top-notch based on the Statement S1 preamp and NAP 500 driving PMC Fact 12. This system surely deserves the Podiums. :blush:

I bought my Podiums from Townsend on sale/return but tbh they aint going back and considering the level of improvement ( easily the G3 box times 2) I actually think they are a bargain certainly at this level.
With the unquestionable increase in believability of the replay maybe the best description will simply be MORE MUSIC and LESS HIFI.
I have no invested interest in the product, but I would urge people to try them, before just buying into another black box upgrade.

Similarly with the Isoacoustics Gaia, I would agree with this. Nevertheless, the bold text may be more applicable to folks who intend to move up from say 252 to the 552, rather than Nait XS to Supernait on £1,000 speakers since the “accessories” particularly the Podiums would be considered as little costly in the context of the system.

2 Likes

Absolutely ryder :+1:t3:

I don’t know.
I thought of a comparison.
As the tires on cars, in my opinion are among the most important things because whatever car you have, those in contact with the road are them.
If you have a good car with good performance, safety systems, etc. but if you have poor tires, it will be all in vain, or almost.
If you have good tires, you’ll get 100% of what’s on it, whether it’s a Polo, an SLS, or an F40.
I’m just speculating without having tried, but based on what I’ve read and what has been reported here and there.
But I understand that if you really want to hear how your speakers sound with your system in your room, you should think about this before any other major upgrades.

1 Like

I tried Gaia I’s under my Kudos Titan 88’s on a wooden floor over a concrete substrate and found the sound to be worse (more confused bass in particular - even with the logos facing forward) compared to directly coupling the spikes to the floor using Track Audio spike shoes. Possibly this is because the T88s speaker ports fire downwards/upwards rather than forwards/backwards. I believe that the Gaia logo orientation is intended to minimise speaker ‘wobble’ forward/back in response to cone movements. I tried very hard to like the Gaias (they look lovely) but ultimately they didn’t work with my speakers/room. Hence, as usual, worth trying before you buy if you can…

I’m not doubting that they work effectively for many.

Just added the following Poll. Would be useful to see the outcome

I have just fitted Gaia 3s to my Dynaudio Focus XD30s. Firstly, you have to remove the outriggers/feet as you can’t unscrew the spikes. The Gaia M6 screw/nut combo is the right one. You simply remove the outriggers with an Allen key. Secondly, I have been very surprised by the difference they make to the sound. It’s too early to judge whether it’s better - it’s different. There is more bass but I’m not sure it is as articulate as before. They sound like different speakers, not just the old ones with a tweak. Needless to say, I am not keen on changing from Gaias back and forth to and from the original outriggers

Yes, I mentioned this in an earlier thread about the Gaias, they are designed to eliminate “smear”, caused by the cones moving back and forth, therefore of limited benefit with down firing designs.

The good point about having a drink, is that you tend not to get involved with all the over thinking of these modifications and costs……but, just listen to the music, which is what it is all about. :blush:

1 Like

But in the Titans the cones move horizontally, just the port fires down. At least in the modern x0x ones, I am guessing also in the 88?

Understood, but I think the port firing also causes what Isoacoustics call smear.

Yeah, I’m sure lots of stuff comes into play, maybe the isobarik design as well, somehow. The Gaias are working lovely with my MA Gold GX200 (port in the back) FWIW

1 Like

Coincidentally, I use mine on my old MA Bronze 5s floorstanders.
It was these that made me keep the speakers and not upgrade… just yet!

1 Like

That’s what I said when the 300 and then the other stuff last year made them sound like totally new speakers, then again when the Gaias made it even better. But I caved recently, anyway :crazy_face: 3 more weeks!

2 Likes

Because the bass reflex port is a down firing design it can not be, because in the K6s, also down firing bass reflex, the result is spectacular.

However, in the K6s design, Stewart Tyler took into consideration the different floor types on which they can be installed, and, to eliminate this factor, he introduced a thick and rigid piece of HDF that acts as a plinth and also as a receiver and diffuser of the shock waves of the huge down firing bass reflex port. I don’t know if Kudos had the same perception and prudence in the design of the T88 and T808; if not, the worsening could well be due to the down firing bass reflex port height modification.

I thought the same way when I put them under my XD 600’s, different sound, but was it better?
I think a lot of their impact will depend on if you have a stable floor or not to begin with.
My apartment floor is solid concrete, with laminate flooring, so very sturdy to begin with. I would be a little Leary about installing them under my current Kharma DB 7’s, because surely the manufacturer took time to evaluate the sound with the nice outriggers and spikes they come with?

Stopping all the nasty vibrations that come from speaker’s from entering the room floor and then going up the hifi rack and into my boxes has got to be good as well

1 Like

All Kudos speakers have a downwards firing port and a plinth at a fixed distance beneath it.

That seems logical to me too but this interesting 8 minute video from Townshend Audio shows this is not the case at all. From a vibration/resonance point of view there is even surprisingly little difference between a concrete and a wooden floor. You can easily do this test yourself using the free app linked below the video.

Well, then I don’t get it…