Isoacoustics Gaia Setting Up and Performance

Only? At twice the price surely they are not twice better; that’s due to the law of diminishing returns, you know.

Having had both the Gaia’s and Podiums, I have to say in my opinion that the Podiums make a more noticeable difference to the SQ across the spectrum. I found the Gaia’s made more difference in the bottom end and lower mids. One cautionary warning, do not have had too many drinks when you go near the Podiums. They are a trip hazard - you have been warned. :blush:

3 Likes

Well newcomer, we can never escape ‘ The law of diminishing returns’ . ATB Peter

2 sets of Gaia II cost £598. The Townshend Podium comes in 7 sizes with the cheapest pair coming in at £1,400. The appropriate size that fits the footprint of my speakers would cost £2,100 which is more than 3 times the price. At that money I suppose the TP is a more befitting option for higher end systems/speakers.

I am sure the Townshend Podium is excellent and better than the Gaia as suggested by the replies here.

1 Like

I am actually not so sure, with the podiums you will benefit from actually much more hearing future box upgrades and how they are benefiting your replay. People have no qualms about spending 6K on a PS upgrade and for a third of the price of that the uplift in sound the podiums bring in my view makes them really good value. No worries I’ll stop banging on… :roll_eyes: ATB Peter

5 Likes

You have a point there and I somewhat agree as some of these isolation devices are regarded as snake oil by few. It’s not only with PS but cable upgrades as well. :shushing_face::mask:

2 Likes

Can the Podiums be slid across a carpet in order to move the speakers to a different location, or do they need to be lifted and moved?

I have some good results with my stand mount Wilson Benesch Arcs using Iso pucks ( 3 per speaker)

ISO-PUCK Series | IsoAcoustics

1 Like

This is the point, I thinking about Gaias with my previous speaker, and for that they probably were a great upgrade at a modest price as you said.

Now with my Acapellas I have choice betwen Gaias Titan Theis at ± 2K Euro, or TP size 5 at ± 4K Euro.
At this price I dont know if it still a great upgrade beside the fact its no more at a modest price.

As other say my doubt was summary by this two post:

Well, not exatly as stated here, but for me: are the upgrade better enough proportionaly at the price they come?
Or maybe at that price is worth working on others upgrade.
For example many friends suggest me, if I can, to made a dedicated electrical system only for the Hifi, isolated from the rest. Now I dont know the price for this, but I think with 3.8K you are almost there.
This is just another example, beside the 555PS to whom Peter answer here:

I like Peter answer, first because he expressed his opinion on a tested comparison with second 555PS.
Second because He made A\B test (Gaias-TP) the only one really worth, and lastly because he mention RA.
In fact his post is the sum of my thought.
He dont mention the room acoustics, but I do, because is my first thinking when “compared” the worth of this upgrade and any upgrade in general.
I dont know how is yours entire system, room acoustics including.
Because in my opinion RA is probably the hardest to fine tuning and very expensive if done well, this is also the most influencial part of the Hifi chain, as many acoustic Engineers suggest.
(this influence determines why in one room one system is great and the same in another room is far from great)
So, I dont know how is your system, but i doubt we all have a perfect system and we are here to discuss the last upgrade.
At least this is not my case.
Me, when thinking at any upgrade, my mind compared the cost of it first with possibly room treatment and room acoustics improvment at the same price, then with other upgrades at that price.
I know, probably is obviously what I am saying, but when I ask about the worth of decoupling this is my question.

PS: amps and others components can be isolated better than just sit on a "simple” rack, some bird says.
For example some suggest that ‘Acapella Fondato Silenzio’ works the money, and Acapella itself suggest to use, also under the speakers.
This is the reason why I talk about it. Im not a Acapella Fans or a sellers, but maybe Fondato Silenzio is comparable with Gaias and TP.
And there is for sure other isolation platforms comparable.
And when I think at upgrade I think also at A FS, because Im curious about it, like I am with Gaias and TP.
Anyone test A FS under speakers?

TL;DR: Im sorry, but for me Hifi is not simple. I took the opportunity to talk about upgrades in general starting from one that I have evaluated in the past and that you were talking about here.
I hope I haven’t gone too OT, but I think it needs to be contextualized what is meant by it’s worth it.
And I hope my post is understandable given my English and the hurry I have today.

1 Like

Here were my thoughts on installation last year :+1:t3:ATB Peter

1 Like

Hi dave, I have mine on a wooden floor but equally with carpet you have to either lift them completely or with a few mm of required side ways adjustments of speaker positioning, you can lift the podiums front and rear individually sort of in crab-mode motion. You just have to make sure that the cups are sat directly in line with the spring housing afterwards. ATB Peter

I use Finite Elemente Cerabases. They can support up to 500 kgs.

1 Like

I would say the podiums made a much bigger difference than any power supplies I have ever added to my system, its an instant result that anyone can hear and not one you have to listen out for

4 Likes

I fully agree Dunc, the reason for mentioning a 555PS upgrade was purely for the purpose of a financial lay out comparison. ATB Peter

2 Likes

Yes I have moved my 40kg speakers many times with the townshends underneath, just lifted to take the weight and go.

They can be had below RRP if you look, superb vfm then

1 Like

After writing the last post I continued reading the thread and found answers for many of the things I mentioned.
Very interesting, definitely worth a try.
As for the size, in my case I don’t think it’s an issue, I think you notice the coffins resting on top much more than the pedestal.

This becomes an advantage, first because obviously either you drink or you approach near the speakers. If someone does both at the same time will risk his life anyway, with or without TP.
But with TP you have a lifesaving if you notice this trip hazard and simple stay away.
Secondly, because of the augmented footprint, they create a safe space around the speakers and horns.

The biggest problem of TP in my case is technical-practical ones, like how put the Acapellas on it, and after in moving it.
But this is not easy and comfortable even without TP.
Hope my dear towel can help also with TP.

Nice. I just realised your system is top-notch based on the Statement S1 preamp and NAP 500 driving PMC Fact 12. This system surely deserves the Podiums. :blush:

I bought my Podiums from Townsend on sale/return but tbh they aint going back and considering the level of improvement ( easily the G3 box times 2) I actually think they are a bargain certainly at this level.
With the unquestionable increase in believability of the replay maybe the best description will simply be MORE MUSIC and LESS HIFI.
I have no invested interest in the product, but I would urge people to try them, before just buying into another black box upgrade.

Similarly with the Isoacoustics Gaia, I would agree with this. Nevertheless, the bold text may be more applicable to folks who intend to move up from say 252 to the 552, rather than Nait XS to Supernait on £1,000 speakers since the “accessories” particularly the Podiums would be considered as little costly in the context of the system.

2 Likes

Absolutely ryder :+1:t3:

I don’t know.
I thought of a comparison.
As the tires on cars, in my opinion are among the most important things because whatever car you have, those in contact with the road are them.
If you have a good car with good performance, safety systems, etc. but if you have poor tires, it will be all in vain, or almost.
If you have good tires, you’ll get 100% of what’s on it, whether it’s a Polo, an SLS, or an F40.
I’m just speculating without having tried, but based on what I’ve read and what has been reported here and there.
But I understand that if you really want to hear how your speakers sound with your system in your room, you should think about this before any other major upgrades.

1 Like

I tried Gaia I’s under my Kudos Titan 88’s on a wooden floor over a concrete substrate and found the sound to be worse (more confused bass in particular - even with the logos facing forward) compared to directly coupling the spikes to the floor using Track Audio spike shoes. Possibly this is because the T88s speaker ports fire downwards/upwards rather than forwards/backwards. I believe that the Gaia logo orientation is intended to minimise speaker ‘wobble’ forward/back in response to cone movements. I tried very hard to like the Gaias (they look lovely) but ultimately they didn’t work with my speakers/room. Hence, as usual, worth trying before you buy if you can…

I’m not doubting that they work effectively for many.