Isoacoustics Gaia Setting Up and Performance

Just added the following Poll. Would be useful to see the outcome

I have just fitted Gaia 3s to my Dynaudio Focus XD30s. Firstly, you have to remove the outriggers/feet as you can’t unscrew the spikes. The Gaia M6 screw/nut combo is the right one. You simply remove the outriggers with an Allen key. Secondly, I have been very surprised by the difference they make to the sound. It’s too early to judge whether it’s better - it’s different. There is more bass but I’m not sure it is as articulate as before. They sound like different speakers, not just the old ones with a tweak. Needless to say, I am not keen on changing from Gaias back and forth to and from the original outriggers

Yes, I mentioned this in an earlier thread about the Gaias, they are designed to eliminate “smear”, caused by the cones moving back and forth, therefore of limited benefit with down firing designs.

The good point about having a drink, is that you tend not to get involved with all the over thinking of these modifications and costs……but, just listen to the music, which is what it is all about. :blush:

1 Like

But in the Titans the cones move horizontally, just the port fires down. At least in the modern x0x ones, I am guessing also in the 88?

Understood, but I think the port firing also causes what Isoacoustics call smear.

Yeah, I’m sure lots of stuff comes into play, maybe the isobarik design as well, somehow. The Gaias are working lovely with my MA Gold GX200 (port in the back) FWIW

1 Like

Coincidentally, I use mine on my old MA Bronze 5s floorstanders.
It was these that made me keep the speakers and not upgrade… just yet!

1 Like

That’s what I said when the 300 and then the other stuff last year made them sound like totally new speakers, then again when the Gaias made it even better. But I caved recently, anyway :crazy_face: 3 more weeks!

2 Likes

Because the bass reflex port is a down firing design it can not be, because in the K6s, also down firing bass reflex, the result is spectacular.

However, in the K6s design, Stewart Tyler took into consideration the different floor types on which they can be installed, and, to eliminate this factor, he introduced a thick and rigid piece of HDF that acts as a plinth and also as a receiver and diffuser of the shock waves of the huge down firing bass reflex port. I don’t know if Kudos had the same perception and prudence in the design of the T88 and T808; if not, the worsening could well be due to the down firing bass reflex port height modification.

I thought the same way when I put them under my XD 600’s, different sound, but was it better?
I think a lot of their impact will depend on if you have a stable floor or not to begin with.
My apartment floor is solid concrete, with laminate flooring, so very sturdy to begin with. I would be a little Leary about installing them under my current Kharma DB 7’s, because surely the manufacturer took time to evaluate the sound with the nice outriggers and spikes they come with?

Stopping all the nasty vibrations that come from speaker’s from entering the room floor and then going up the hifi rack and into my boxes has got to be good as well

1 Like

All Kudos speakers have a downwards firing port and a plinth at a fixed distance beneath it.

That seems logical to me too but this interesting 8 minute video from Townshend Audio shows this is not the case at all. From a vibration/resonance point of view there is even surprisingly little difference between a concrete and a wooden floor. You can easily do this test yourself using the free app linked below the video.

Well, then I don’t get it…

That outriggers and spikes look good. Perhaps send an inquiry to Kharma whether they can recommend isolation products on their speakers? I asked Marten and they recommended it. Marten now have their own isolators installed on their high range models as standard. The isolators are developed based on the same principles as the Gaia isolators.

FWIW the floor of my apartment is also concrete with tile. The Gaias still brought a nice change to the system, and to me it’s not a subtle difference.

Marten isolators(based on the Isoacoustics Gaia) ;

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, but I fear we are voices crying in the wilderness.
For those that have ears to hear let them hear.

Always enjoy your contributions Dunc and the path your purchases have taken you, long may they continue.

I have Finite Elemente Cerapuc but they are used for the equipment rack. The rated capacity of the Cerapuc is also rather high but lower than the Cerabase.

2 Likes

Just pushed the button on the Elusive Audio Solitude-Feet. At £156 for six the price is fine, and they should look great under my SB -C700’s/Slate Audio stands. The puck/inserts approach is the only way for me as my spikes are non-removable.

I will experiment with the 3mm sorbothane inserts, substituting nitrile cork or the Herbies stuff - when the sheets are back in stock again.

You’ve mentioned these before and I seem to remember you have similar under your equipment table (Fraim?).
I was ,and still are, so impressed with my Podiums that I did consider Max’s supports for my Fraim. But Finite Elemente products also look worth considering and easier to implement.

1 Like