It's Premium Bond day tomorrow. I'm going to win

and the fact that you were in the northern hemisphere (where all directions automatically get reversed anyway), I am surprised you didn’t head home straight away.

1 Like

Ditto for me.

Mrs Pete just cracked up laughing she I thought I should join the local constabulary.

The winnings are tax free in the UK but after moving to France I cashed in as the French government taxes the winnings as dividends.

1 Like

Here all winnings are tax free you only pay tax on the money you earn from your winnings.

2 Likes

£200 for Jan. A welcome addition to the Hi-Fi fund :raised_hands:

3 Likes

£50 here, nice start to the year.

2 Likes

£75 for me today.

2 Likes

I only have a couple of thousand - but did mange to win six 25 pounds amounts in 2022 - including two wins in the same draw - the cheques arrived just before Christmas
That has prompted me to buy more

The French tax system can’t cope with a lottery where the stake is retained, nor will it accept it as a savings account with an interest rate.
I had part of my pension lump sum in it for a year or so, holding the maximum £50k. I averaged £50 a month, slightly better than expected and a better rate than I’d have received from most savings accounts at the time. I was in the UK for part of that time but once fiscally resident in France it was no longer appealing.

If they give out all these winnings does it affect your principal and your dividend.

Someone in the January draw with 2 pounds of holdings managed to win 10000 pounds - not a bad return

1 Like

£50 today, £25 in December and £225 in November. I know I could do far better locking the money away in a ISA. It’s a bit of fun every month and as everyone does, live in hope of a big prize. I earned around £700 last year. Hope Earnie will smile on me this year, I’ve been very patient!

1 Like

Pete – no, your principal (as UK Govt debt) is 100% protected. The monthly prize fund yield is around 2.2% p.a. IIRC, and prizes are tax-free (in UK).

So you ‘invest’, the primary risks are your capital loses value due to inflation or you don’t win an inflation-equivalent (or better :grin: ) return.

In the UK, it’s commonly referred to as ‘ERNIE’ ** after the electronic machine which selects the winning bond numbers at random.

** ‘Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment’ in long-hand.

2 Likes

£50 for me this month, £200 last month but a friend just won £1000.

1 Like

As someone said earlier, it’s just a bit o’ fun, and, at the start of most months, a win notification puts a smile on one’s face.

2023 gets going with £100, and last year’s total of £600 wasn’t too bad.

:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

£200 today, which partly makes up for a dismal performance last year.

1 Like

Nothing for me or the offspring as per usual.

1 Like

Post code lottery anyone?

Spent about £20pm for the last 3 years and won c. £2200 (2K win last year).

Only £25 this month, but better than nothing.
Considering the bank rates & various investment bond returns on offer over these last few years, my Ernie Bonds have averaged 1.8% p.a. so not so bad for a little bit of excitement each month.

1 Like