Red Garland Trio, with Paul Chambers (bass), Art Taylor (drums)-

10 11 12

11 Likes

Great 2LP recorded live in Hornchuch.

1 Like

12yr old malt and relax.

9 Likes

Yup, that’s a brilliant series of gigs.

I’ve posted a set of links to some of the YouTube videos of the concerts of the 70s on a Miles Davis thread, in case these are also of interest.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll dig the thread out.

Hi @ditton66, thanks for posting. I am a big fan of the Red Garland Trio. The albums you mention are all outstanding. Lovely choice !
Iver

1 Like

All three wonderful albums. I personally think that Soul Station is Mobley’s best album
Iver

7 Likes

Thank’s’
In my opinion,
All the “graduates” of the Miles Davis ensembles received an excellent education … :wink:

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

9: Miles Davis: Bitches Brew (Columbia)
At the end of the 60s, the ever-restless Miles Davis sought to change his musical
direction again. Eyeing new sonic horizons and showing an interest in rock and funk
aesthetics, he began using electronic instruments and creating expansive grooves driven
by a backbeat. A first major milestone in this development was the epochal Bitches Brew,
a sprawling double-album released in 1970. Using a large ensemble that included British
guitarist John McLaughlin and three electric keyboardists (Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea and
Larry Young), Davis set in motion the fusion movement that dominated jazz thinking in
the 70s. Much of the music was shaped in post-production, heavily edited by Miles’
producer, Teo Macero, but Bitches Brew became hugely influential, ushering in the age of
jazz-rock. Now almost half a century old, it still sounds like the music of the future.

Key song: ‘Spanish Key’

Enjoy

Dave

11 Likes

Or for something a little less challenging…

The Alan Broadbent Trio’s previous Savant release, ‘New York Notes’ (SCD2166), received rave reviews in the international press. The Guardian wrote, “The bubbling stream of notes is both unpredictable and inevitable, and following its twists and turns is a joy.” Couleurs Jazz (France) proclaimed, “Behold! A precious gem of a jazz recording.”

“Trio in Motion” finds Broadbent, Billy Mintz and Harvie S reunited in the pianist’s New York apartment-studio recording music that is spontaneous, surprising, possessing a sly humour and emotionally involving.

Broadbent received two Grammy awards and has collaborated with Natalie Cole (Unforgettable), Herbie Hancock, Sonny Rollins, Diana Krall and Paul McCartney. Each tune on the setlist is imbued with a warm intimacy and the refreshing, slightly piquant glow of intensity which warms both the listener’s heart and mind.

Personnel: Alan Broadbent (piano), Harvie S (acoustic bass), Billy Mintz (drums)

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Good band, good music !

1 Like

A lovely Teo Macero production - 2-Eye vinyl.

7 Likes

Déjà Vu. However my vinyl copy bit the dust a long time ago. :grinning:

Dave

Don’t miss this one … super nice
Iver

6 Likes

5 Likes

Nice one-
The Columbia Years 1955–1985 compilation. blues, standards, originals, moods and electric by tha master.

5 Likes

Today’s ‘play it again and again if you like’image
Sounds quite splendid on Quobuz and hopefully it will not be too long before such events can be staged again.
N

3 Likes

I dont have many Scott Hamilton albums but this is a favourite with my redoubtable namesake on bass. :grinning:

Dave

Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Peach of a cover of this Monk track.

2 Likes